Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

Transit generally has been losing ridership  over the past decade, and freight rail traffic has declined as well.

The inability of whoever is in charge of getting a new uptown station built (it’s been in the works for decades), combined with soaring traffic on I-85 yet declining rail ridership shows it’s time for something new:

Time to get Brightline to follow through with its mentions of building a line between Charlotte and Atlanta.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

The inability of whoever is in charge of getting a new uptown station built (it’s been in the works for decades), combined with soaring traffic on I-85 yet declining rail ridership shows it’s time for something new:

Time to get Brightline to follow through with its mentions of building a line between Charlotte and Atlanta.

Its not accurate to say Amtrak ridership between Charlotte and Raleigh has declined (pre covid), it has not. Amtrak ridership between NC and the NEC is what declined a bit.

Brightline will be a long while. They gotta see how their Orlando service works (should be finished in about a year), and if their LA(ish) to Las Vegas service (on new tracks) makes sense -- this project has not started construction. Until those two things happen they can't get anymore capital. Even best case scenario Brightline does not has the capital necessary to build greenfield HSR tracks from Charlotte to Atlanta, so if we rely on them for improved Atlanta service I suspect we will be disappointed with the speed and capacity.  Jon Ossof did request $10 billion for Atlanta-Charlotte HSR in the BBB bill, unfortunately we know what happened to that.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, kermit said:

Its not accurate to say Amtrak ridership between Charlotte and Raleigh has declined (pre covid), it has not. Amtrak ridership from CLT to the corridor is what declined a bit.

Brightline will be a while. They gotta see how their Orlando service works (should be finished in about a year), and if their LA(ish) to Las Vegas service (on new tracks) makes sense -- this project has not started construction. Unfortunately Brightline does not has the capital necessary to build greenfield HSR tracks from Charlotte to Atlanta, so if we rely on them for improved Atlanta service I suspect we will be disappointed.  Jon Ossof did request $10 billion for Atlanta-Charlotte HSR in the BBB bill, unfortunately we know what happened to that.

You're right.  It looks like Piedmont ridership did go up pre-Covid, I guess due to increased frequencies: 67.pdf (railpassengers.org)

However, it's completely ridiculous that the Charlotte uptown station hasn't been built.  It's been on the drawing board for at least 15-20 years.  At this point, it's time to just call whoever builds Metro-North stations and have a few platforms and a basic headhouse built, just to get service uptown. And a Charlotte airport station could be built and that also could really increase ridership (particularly with a tie-in with pilot-short airlines), but that hasn't happened, either.  Leadership gets an F and needs to be replaced with leadership that could get things done.

The Brightline strategy of building real estate tied to train stations could certainly work on a Charlotte-Atlanta line; Charlotte, Greenville, SC and other cities have a lot of development going on around station sites.  But you're right about Brightline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

The Brightline strategy of building real estate tied to train stations could certainly work on a Charlotte-Atlanta line; Charlotte, Greenville, SC and other cities have a lot of development going on around station sites.  But you're right about Brightline.

Brightline had an opportunity to submit to the RFP for the Gateway area development project, they did not.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, KJHburg said:

Here is the plan for the Harrisburg commuter rail station  5000 sq ft station right off Hwy 49

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_BbMNOVA7ILZkpGQs1uP7JDxANwX6NKj/view

I think I'm significantly out of the loop on something. Are there plans for a commuter rail line extending northeast from Charlotte?

Edit: Googled it and looks like it will be a part of intercity rail routes (Carolinian and Piedmont). I assume that would make it sort of expensive to use purely for commute into Charlotte?

Edited by Reverie39

4 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I think I'm significantly out of the loop on something. Are there plans for a commuter rail line extending northeast from Charlotte?

Edit: Googled it and looks like it will be a part of intercity rail routes (Carolinian and Piedmont). I assume that would make it sort of expensive to use purely for commute into Charlotte?

NCDOT is adding stations on the Piedmont route in Harrisburg, Lexington and Hillsborough. Part of the rationale of Harrisburg is it can serve as a suburban Charlotte station and provide parking to the riders that think they need it (since parking at Gateway station will always be constrained). 

I doubt all Piedmont trains will make all stops.

Nobody at NCDOT or regional planning agencies will mention commuter rail from Charlotte to Salisbury on the NCRR. I suspect they don’t want to make NS panic about more traffic on the tracks that they lease for freight. That commuter service is inevitable, but far enough away that its on no ones radar at the moment. If Triangle Commuter Rail (probably start running within 5 years) is successful expect to hear more talk about the Charlotte version. The infrastructure for it can be added to state-owned ROW fairly easily and it can be pitched as a significant traffic reliever for I-85.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

NCDOT is adding stations on the Piedmont route in Harrisburg, Lexington and Hillsborough. Part of the rationale of Harrisburg is it can serve as a suburban Charlotte station and provide parking to the riders that think they need it (since parking at Gateway station will always be constrained.

I doubt all Piedmont trains will make all stops.

Nobody at NCDOT or regional planning agencies will mention commuter rail from Charlotte to Salisbury on the NCRR. I suspect they don’t want to make NS panic about more traffic on the tracks that they lease for freight. That commuter service is inevitable, but far enough away that its on no ones radar at the moment.

Great to hear that it is inevitable, even if it's far away. So do you see this future commuter line being more likely than the Red Line up to Lake Norman? That one has actually been talked about by planning agencies but seems like zero progress has been made past the planning stage.

26 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Great to hear that it is inevitable, even if it's far away. So do you see this future commuter line being more likely than the Red Line up to Lake Norman? That one has actually been talked about by planning agencies but seems like zero progress has been made past the planning stage.

Commuter rail to Salisbury will be several orders of magnitude easier to make happen than the Red line simply because the state owns the tracks and 200 ft of row around the tracks. Unfortunately there is less political will for it (Salisbury) to happen because running through multiple counties makes it tougher and less rewarding for pols. 

For a Salisbury commuter route to be efficient and effective it will need to through run past Gateway station so a more difficult route to Gastonia or Rock Hill would need to be paired with it to make it into good transit. Stub-ending at Gateway would be really awkward. And, no, a Davidson route probably would not work as the other end of this service due to the direction change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Commuter rail to Salisbury will be several orders of magnitude easier to make happen than the Red line simply because the state owns the tracks and 200 ft of row around the tracks. Unfortunately there is less political will for it (Salisbury) to happen because running through multiple counties makes it tougher and less rewarding for pols. 

For a Salisbury commuter route to be efficient and effective it will need to through run past Gateway station so a more difficult route to Gastonia or Rock Hill would need to be paired with it to make it into good transit. Stub-ending at Gateway would be really awkward. And, no, a Davidson route probably would not work as the other end of this service due to the direction change.

Can you unpack the bold comment a bit? I don't see why it would be awkward to have a commuter line that just goes to core and back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, CLT2014 said:

Wish we could get a Charlotte -> Wilmington direct route.   Charlotte -> Raleigh -> Wilmington will be too slow. 

Would love to have an extensive train network like this in NC. But to make that happen we need to get ridership up. I don't think the transportation culture within NC is conducive to train ridership just yet - most people want to get somewhere in the Piedmont, they just drive without thinking twice. I'm not even sure if most people are aware of our frequent Charlotte-Raleigh trains that are pretty convenient. Perhaps NCDOT should be doing more in the form of advertising and awareness? Show off our gleaming new stations, near-future track upgrades, surprisingly short travel times, etc.

• Like 4