Park Avenue

skirby

Interesting feature article in today's E section (Style) in today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (plus a sidebar), detailing some of the fallout of the University Mall closure and catching up with relocated tenants. I had no idea one tenant was displaced all the way into Pine Bluff. Most of the business owners in the article state that they're content to see the mall gone, even if there are some sentimental attachments here and there. I'd be curious to get a feel for how they view the potential for Park Avenue, though

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting feature article in today's E section (Style) in today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (plus a sidebar), detailing some of the fallout of the University Mall closure and catching up with relocated tenants. I had no idea one tenant was displaced all the way into Pine Bluff. Most of the business owners in the article state that they're content to see the mall gone, even if there are some sentimental attachments here and there. I'd be curious to get a feel for how they view the potential for Park Avenue, though

I think the more interesting article is titled:

LR unhappy with Park Avenue plan

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but my sensation is one of dread now... IMO the advisory committee, as is typical for the LR mayor/directors is meddling too much into this project and is trying to micro manage a development that they do not have any personal financial interest in... the concept for Park Avenue is not perfect, but Strode has heard the city voice it's concerns and has made many accomodations... I'm very happy with Midtowne and I think Strode knows what will work.. I will make a request to Strode that that atleast consider placing a Whole Foods Market at the site..

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but my sensation is one of dread now... IMO the advisory committee, as is typical for the LR mayor/directors is meddling too much into this project and is trying to micro manage a development that they do not have any personal financial interest in... the concept for Park Avenue is not perfect, but Strode has heard the city voice it's concerns and has made many accomodations... I'm very happy with Midtowne and I think Strode knows what will work.. I will make a request to Strode that that atleast consider placing a Whole Foods Market at the site..

2 things here:

1) the city does have every right to dictate how they want to city to look and feel. I applaud them for standing up on this one and I hope they continue to dictate and "micromanage" until this city gets what it deserves. LR and Arkansas in particular has this defeatist attitude that we need to take what we can get and that's just a load of it.

2) They'd better not have any personal financial interest or that would "conflict of interest." There's a VERY good reason we vest authority in the hands of people who DO NOT have personal financial interest in developments like this one.

I liked the part where he said he could add in the future. I think it was like a 5-10 story building. I like that type of plan. But i think the city needs to be careful. I do wish the theater was at the end of the "mainstreet". I would like to know who is going to move into the "Town" part, and by that, i mean the types of stores.

2 things here:

1) the city does have every right to dictate how they want to city to look and feel. I applaud them for standing up on this one and I hope they continue to dictate and "micromanage" until this city gets what it deserves. LR and Arkansas in particular has this defeatist attitude that we need to take what we can get and that's just a load of it.

2) They'd better not have any personal financial interest or that would "conflict of interest." There's a VERY good reason we vest authority in the hands of people who DO NOT have personal financial interest in developments like this one.

I agree. I am glad the city is standing up and demanding this be more than just a typical suburban power center i.e. Shackleford Crossings.

I liked the part where he said he could add in the future. I think it was like a 5-10 story building. I like that type of plan. But i think the city needs to be careful. I do wish the theater was at the end of the "mainstreet". I would like to know who is going to move into the "Town" part, and by that, i mean the types of stores.

From what we've heard so far, it looks like it will be more mid-tier oriented rather than upscale. I don't think Apple would be a good fit for Park Ave. from what we've heard, but I think they would be an excellent fit for Midtowne.

Creating a higher density center is great. The fact that the city is standing firm on their guidelines means the development will be specific to our location and not like all the other shopping centers.

Did I read the article correctly when it mentioned a Staples moving in where Bennigan's was once located?

That will be interesting.

When I first heard about this project, I was hoping the developers would plan something similar to Magnolia Park in Greenville, SC: http://www.magnoliapark.com/siteplan.html It has everything including a health club, movie theater, parking garages, high-end hotel, office space, condos/lofts, retail/restaurant space, etc. Disappointed in Park's Avenue plans to say the least. :(

I think the more interesting article is titled:

LR unhappy with Park Avenue plan

(from the DemGaz)

LITTLE ROCK —

Also attending the meeting at the planning commission as they are now, I would have voted against it,” Rector said. “I guess I will get the opportunity to stand up in front of the city board and say that.”

I don't think the LR City Board will approve this Park Avenue plan. If they do approve it, I will be disappointed.

This should not be a difficult vote by the City. The current plan does not meet the design guidelines adopted by the City. City Staff is not supportive of the project and the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, a committee created by the City for the purpose of advising the City on this very real estate, is not supportive. The plan is NOT the highest and best use of that piece of real estate. It is a myopic plan dominated by Target's vision for Little Rock.

To hear that the Strode group was not open to making changes during the meeting, changes my mind about Strode a little bit. It seems egotistical. Someone mentioned that the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board was somehow over-reaching because they were not financially invested in the development. First, Stormcrow is right and I echo his points. Also, I will add that the folks on the advisory board are WAY more invested in time, effort, and planning in this piece of real estate than Strode. Strode bought his way in due to the very efforts of these folks on the MRAB. Strode's Midtowne development would not exist without the work of these same individuals. Did I mention they are volunteers and that they live in our neighborhoods?

Here is project by the same architects that Strode is using for Park Avenue. It is a 33-acre open-air urban village. Park Avenue is 28 acres, so it is comparable.

Little Rock deserves BETTER!

Creating a higher density center is great. The fact that the city is standing firm on their guidelines means the development will be specific to our location and not like all the other shopping centers.

Did I read the article correctly when it mentioned a Staples moving in where Bennigan's was once located?

That will be interesting.

I agree. The Staples will be subject to the same design guidelines as Park Avenue. There is no reason that a Staples could not build an urban building.

Target's trying to play W-M's game in it's own back yard. The conspriacy theorist in me also wonders if Target isn't possibly wanting a good out on this project. In the current economic conditions I have to wonder if their revenues aren't down and they a)wonder about their ability to compete in this marketplace and b)are worried about payback on something other than a prototypical box design.

I'd say your concern is valid, Stormcrow. If Target is adaptive to unique situations around the nation, what truly prevents the company from adapting to Little Rock's? Aside from the perception that central Arkansas is a market of lesser importance, and thus can be man-handled into accepting things which weren't intended.

The economic slowdown is coming at a horrible time for Little Rock, because otherwise it would be a fine time for several companies without a presence in our market to set up shop. Macy's surely may come to Arkansas one day, but the value of Macy's Inc. common stock has dropped by almost half from its highest point last July. That doesn't mean the chain isn't still opening and planning new stores, including new locations announced for Arizona, Nevada and Florida.

Target's trying to play W-M's game in it's own back yard. The conspriacy theorist in me also wonders if Target isn't possibly wanting a good out on this project. In the current economic conditions I have to wonder if their revenues aren't down and they a)wonder about their ability to compete in this marketplace and b)are worried about payback on something other than a prototypical box design.

Target like Wal-Mart is better able to weather the current environment. They are still expanding, remodeling the store in West LR and planning on a new site off of Higdon Ferry in Hot Springs. They've coveted Central LR for years, a backroom deal to carve out a piece of War Memorial Park for a Target caused a furor about five years ago.

The real issue is that piece of land in their eyes is suited for a large Target and nothing else. They don't see LR as a dense urban market and the preponderance of single family homes and low rise development supports that. I was in Chicago this weekend and there were many of our typical chain retail stores in a multistory format with parking decks- Best Buy, Office Depot, Toys R Us, Target, etc but these were in areas with dense multistory multifamily housing and little or no single family housing.

Whether Target is a player or not doesn't matter to me as much as the overall development plan. Strode has already acquired the mall and paid for the demolition, I think it the city has him by the balls on this.

City officials are concerned about the fields of parking and the lack of sidewalks and ways for pedestrians to get around the complex.

This is "The Natural State" and so many other developments around the nation incorporate nature into thier design better than anything in Arkansas. I totally agree that we don't need solid gigantic parking lots in this development.

Way to go for asking for something better

I'd be somewhat shocked if Target was unwilling to comply with the guidelines.

Target's second oldest distribution center is located in Maumelle and it's been there since the mid 1980's. That DC serves somewhere near 45 Target stores. Clearly AR is Wal-Mart territory but the Target company thought enough of this state to place it's second distribution center here. I'm sure it could have been placed within one of the six states that borders AR.

Additionally, I visited a two-story Target a little less than two months ago. It was attached to a larger shopping center, which of course had a parking deck. One entrance to the store was from this particular parking deck. I believe others here have stated that if the Target were tangent to the existing parking structure the need for large surface parking would be lessened. I concur. If for some reason Target were against utilizing the deck then they could use other means. It is not uncommon for Target to create underground parking to accommodate other cities' guidelines.

How much can the city get involved in the plans before its all falls apart. i guess i should say, can it fall apart? What is so hard about using the parking garage for the Target? If theres not enough spaces, put another floor on the thing. I knows its not that eassy. I really hope this is not a missed oppurtunity. I think thats why the city is getting involved. If they can do anything right, please make sure that its done the best possible way.

How much can the city get involved in the plans before its all falls apart. i guess i should say, can it fall apart? What is so hard about using the parking garage for the Target? If theres not enough spaces, put another floor on the thing. I knows its not that eassy. I really hope this is not a missed oppurtunity. I think thats why the city is getting involved. If they can do anything right, please make sure that its done the best possible way.

My question for Strode would be, what was the problem with the first site plan (which everyone seemed to acknowledge was more in keeping with the guidelines and was well liked by those involved)?

Where can i get a picture of this?

Hmmm.....not sure. I posted a link to Briarwood's POA website several months ago in this thread that had lots of images that hadn't been published. I'm unsure if the site plan was in there, but I know it was published in the paper.

searching through the blairwood page/website, i ran across these pictures. This is more of what i think the city has in mind! I think this is what we deserve. It will not be that big & Fancy. but why can we have something like that.

Another idea would be to put stores infront of target. Why does there need to be a huge wall? Make the target enterence, then add stores infront of it. There could be alot more creativity involved in this plan. I would like to see evidence of that! Please, If the city is looking at this(wishful thinking) dont do like the Aloft hotel and put up a parking garage. Show us that you care!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest site plan is available on the Arkansas Times blog. One of the biggest changes is the replacement of a restaurant with a four story apartment building on the southeast corner of the site - at the intersection of University and St Vincent Circle. The complex will have a pool and a dedicated parking deck. Another change is that possibly seven stories of office space could be built above the anchor to the east of the theater. It appears as though Strode has removed any residential above the northern stretch of retail (the side with the theater). The southern stretch has the option of one residential/office level above the retail spaces. Phase II of the site plan along McKinley Street, north of Target, would contain either four floors of residential or seven floors of limited-service hotel. The blog also mentions that the basement of the old Montgomery Ward will not be used as parking. They also mention that the seven-story office tower (eight with the first-floor retail) depends on agreeable negotiations between Strode and the parties who were initially interested in medical office space. Overall, the project could encompass 753,400 square feet of mixed-use space.

I like the increased verticality of the proposal, and I hope it comes to pass. I

The latest site plan is available on the Arkansas Times blog. One of the biggest changes is the replacement of a restaurant with a four story apartment building on the southeast corner of the site - at the intersection of University and St Vincent Circle. The complex will have a pool and a dedicated parking deck. Another change is that possibly seven stories of office space could be built above the anchor to the east of the theater. It appears as though Strode has removed any residential above the northern stretch of retail (the side with the theater). The southern stretch has the option of one residential/office level above the retail spaces. Phase II of the site plan along McKinley Street, north of Target, would contain either four floors of residential or seven floors of limited-service hotel. The blog also mentions that the basement of the old Montgomery Ward will not be used as parking. They also mention that the seven-story office tower (eight with the first-floor retail) depends on agreeable negotiations between Strode and the parties who were initially interested in medical office space. Overall, the project could encompass 753,400 square feet of mixed-use space.

I like the increased verticality of the proposal, and I hope it comes to pass. I

Are there pictures on the Arkansas Times website? I would like to see more than a site plan. My expectations have been lowered non the less. But better than the last site plan. But Please move the apartments over the stores. oh well, you cant make everyone happy.

Archived