Park Avenue

skirby

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such as?

I work for the ad agency that is designing the Park Avenue web page. Back in the beginning of this thread, you guys made some awesome comments (Is it Christmas???, "Strodes involvement is the best case scenerio" and things like that.) What I would love is permission and names and put those quotes on their web page. It is launching in a few weeks, and you guys may not realize it, but your enthusiasm would really help us sell this development to potential retailers. If you guys are serious about the potential for Midtowne (which, I think you are), having a few key quotes from locals would clench the sale.

I have some quotes in particular that I think are great, I would just need names, and if anyone would like to volunteer any other helpful quotes, that would be great too!

I work for the ad agency that is designing the Park Avenue web page. Back in the beginning of this thread, you guys made some awesome comments (Is it Christmas???, "Strodes involvement is the best case scenerio" and things like that.) What I would love is permission and names and put those quotes on their web page. It is launching in a few weeks, and you guys may not realize it, but your enthusiasm would really help us sell this development to potential retailers. If you guys are serious about the potential for Midtowne (which, I think you are), having a few key quotes from locals would clench the sale.

I have some quotes in particular that I think are great, I would just need names, and if anyone would like to volunteer any other helpful quotes, that would be great too!

What is the name of your ad agency?

Can we negotiate quotes for a whole Foods, Trader Joes or Eatzi's (Dallas has one)?

Seriously. I live in the neighborhood. All the people I talk to really want an organic foods grocery, though Strode already said that grocery wasn't in the cards of Park Avenue. email me at [email protected].

KMarks - I might be interested to assist if you could provide more information. Please PM me. Thanks.

KMarks - I might be interested to assist if you could provide more information. Please PM me. Thanks.

"I mentioned several times in the past that I would love to see Strode involved with any redevelopment of University Mall. This is THE best-case scenario. Strode is perfect for this project."

"Its participation completely validates its success with Midtowne and shows the confidence it has for the market."

"It must be Christmas!!! I was thrilled to find that Strode will be redeveloping the University Mall site. This excites me to no end. This is just what Midtowne needs. "

"This development will really help cement the Midtowne area as the state's premium shopping area."

These are the particular quotes I really thought were helpful (with SLIGHT editing-mostly taking out references to this thread, nothing that actually changes the meaning/intentions of the quote).

Maybe because I just joined, or I don't know how to work this page (either is entirely possible) I cant send personal messages. My e-mail is [email protected]. Anyone interested in helping me, I would appreciate it! I can give more details, but I would rather not post them.

"I mentioned several times in the past that I would love to see Strode involved with any redevelopment of University Mall. This is THE best-case scenario. Strode is perfect for this project."

"Its participation completely validates its success with Midtowne and shows the confidence it has for the market."

"It must be Christmas!!! I was thrilled to find that Strode will be redeveloping the University Mall site. This excites me to no end. This is just what Midtowne needs. "

"This development will really help cement the Midtowne area as the state's premium shopping area."

These are the particular quotes I really thought were helpful (with SLIGHT editing-mostly taking out references to this thread, nothing that actually changes the meaning/intentions of the quote).

Maybe because I just joined, or I don't know how to work this page (either is entirely possible) I cant send personal messages. My e-mail is [email protected]. Anyone interested in helping me, I would appreciate it! I can give more details, but I would rather not post them.

Darn not one of those is mine! You guys are going to have to help me work on my quotability skills.

For those of you who are deemed worthy of repeating, consider that in some way or another, the competing developments appear to be falling short of what is most desired in Little Rock, a world-class, mixed-use development. We have a Presidential Library, Heifer International, and the Capital Hotel, Little Rock needs one new mixed-use development that is on par with the kind of excellence those projects bring to the City.

PLEASE make your contribution to entice the best of the best to Park Avenue.

Hey guys, the page went live sometime over the weekend. Check it out www.parkavenuelr.com Strode will be at the ICSC this week driving potential merchants to their new page. And, as they sign new restaurants and retailers, we will be updating the page! There will be a portion on either the home page or the retailer section that will showcase the newest addition to the development. Hope you guys like it. Your quotes are scattered throughout the page. Check it out, let me know what you guys think.

Hey guys, the page went live sometime over the weekend. Check it out www.parkavenuelr.com Strode will be at the ICSC this week driving potential merchants to their new page. And, as they sign new restaurants and retailers, we will be updating the page! There will be a portion on either the home page or the retailer section that will showcase the newest addition to the development. Hope you guys like it. Your quotes are scattered throughout the page. Check it out, let me know what you guys think.

I like the site. I look forward to seeing new tenants added.

Thanks, we are all very excited to see what Strode can pull off there.

I am very pleased by the website and continued enthusiastic support for this project. Recently I was fortunate enough to visit Doctor's Hospital directly south of this development. The panoramic view of the site from the eighth floor was spectacular.

I am delighted to have read, "Currently, we are engaged with Target, a movie theatre complex, and a large book store; we are actively seeking retailers that will help round out this development..."

I look forward to enjoying the fruition of the strong efforts Strode has continually shown towards midtown Little Rock.

I am very pleased by the website and continued enthusiastic support for this project. Recently I was fortunate enough to visit Doctor's Hospital directly south of this development. The panoramic view of the site from the eighth floor was spectacular.

I am delighted to have read, "Currently, we are engaged with Target, a movie theatre complex, and a large book store; we are actively seeking retailers that will help round out this development..."

I look forward to enjoying the fruition of the strong efforts Strode has continually shown towards midtown Little Rock.

Maybe Target should consider a rooftop garden...

Maybe Target should consider a rooftop garden...

That would be interesting. Maybe the West Little Rock location will receive one in the renovation. Heading south on Napa Valley, one can see the tops of many of the stores in the West Little Rock shopping corridor. A little green wouldn't hurt.

The site looks fantastic, and I can't wait to see what Strode develops. Currently however, I'd have to concur with some of the concerns highlighted by the city to Mr. Strode regarding the move away from a pedestrian-centric design (the current iteration depicted in the website shows a significantly reduced pedestrian-way and increased mass parking lots) - surely the existing density of a parking deck will mitigate the temptation to overbuild and/or over bundle parking "lots."

I think this maybe the last chance for any new retail in LR for a while. I pray it includes a Marcy's and etc. I will be very disappointed if this turns out to be a mid-level shopping complex. It doesn't have to be high-end, just a 5 star center! . It maybe the last development for about 5 years to include retail as the market has to mature a bit. Ill have to see the design first, but I just get the feeling that we will get the shaft again and a golden opportunity will once again just fly by and we will get some nice, yet mediocre design at the same time.

My wishes:

Height.......... at least 5-10 stores would be amazing.

New Stores...............Macys, Etc.

Movie Theater

Target

Book Store

Hotel............Some sort of flagship would be Excellent.

My wish list for the center?

Anchor 1 (137,100 SF, S. McKinley @ St. Vincent Circle): I honestly want Macy's before Target, but either will be a good shot in the arm for the midtown area of the city. Still, Macy's is in all but five states, one of which happens to be Arkansas. This largest anchor space is not as big as I'd like for the state's first Macy's, but it's realistic for a company with nearly zero previous dealings here. (Macy's Inc. — previously Federated — briefly owned David's Bridal, but not for long enough to gauge the market via the Little Rock location, I would figure.) Dillard's, Macy's and select Belk locations are the only department store chains in the southeastern U.S. that are comparable with each other in terms of merchandise mix and market presence. Little Rock and the central Arkansas market is mature enough to accommodate all three. Plus, Macy's might configure its space as a two story store, where Target has been less willing.

Anchor 2 (10,000 SF, approximately near former south entrance of University Mall/future underground parking): The smallest of the four designated anchor spaces needs something with serious buzz. An apparel retailer would be great here, but something new to the central Arkansas market. Urban Outfitters has both apparel and home accessories, with an overall aesthetic that is compatible with a development like Park Avenue situated in the heart of the city. Price points and trend consciousness at a retailer like this will be attractive to the new residents within the development, as well as students at UALR.

Anchor 3 (50,000 SF, former vicinity of Montgomery Ward AutoExpress): This one is trickier, because I can't readily think of as many options for this size space. This might be nice for home furnishings, Crate & Barrel would be swell, though admittedly a larger location than some which already exist in the chain. (One could argue it would be worthwhile due to relatively lower real estate prices in Arkansas.) I don't think it would be overkill to have this within a short distance of Pottery Barn, because of the different styles offered.

Anchor 4 (15,500 SF, former vicinity of east end of MM Cohn): This spot that lies to the outside of restaurants and residential components is prime territory for a bookstore. Borders is perhaps the most talked-about prospect which doesn't have a presence in the market, though it was a longtime midtown component via Waldenbooks (University Mall) and Brentano's (Park Plaza). If Borders is not a viable option, Barnes & Noble could put a small store here (ironically enough, near where B. Dalton — now a B&N property — once had a store, too).

Cinema (27,000 SF, former vicinity of north mall entrance and surroundings): A chain with a current presence in the market wouldn't surprise me, but I figure a new player could be just as likely. Regal Cinemas, which operates United Artists-branded screens as Lakewood Village and Breckenridge Village, immediately comes to mind. Then again, former UA theaters have closed in four locations in Little Rock over the years, including Park Plaza. Memphis-based Malco Theatres has developed both large multiplexes like Jonesboro's Malco Cinema 13 and smaller houses like Studio on the Square in midtown Memphis. From the looks of the plan, it's a six-screen setup that would lend itself well to this company, as long as there's willingness to show some independent movies.

Retail/Restaurants E & F (15,350 SF and 17,000 SF, respectively; near former mall central area): The two narrowly-configured sections of the development poised for the ground level underneath 112 residential units will have an excellent opportunity to draw customers from within and outside the development. I suspect the entrances to both spaces may face the cinema located directly across the park from them. Aside from that, I don't know if I'd rather see shops or restaurants here. One of these spots could be for Dave & Buster's, assuming that the noise wouldn't be a huge concern for residents directly above.

Phase II - Residential/Hotel (146,500 SF, near former JCPenney auto center/city vehicle maintenance facility): The potential hotel site, located in the far northwest corner behind the parking deck and within sight of Park Plaza, could be another great way for Park Avenue to stand out, with the right branding. The latest plan mentions this hotel is likely to be a limited service offering, and even more likely to be tied to a brand already in the market. Two of the three top brands in the segment during 2007 are Marriott's Courtyard and SpringHill concepts. Hilton's Garden Inn is a third, and with a Hilton flagship brand property just down University Avenue, it could be the most probable choice. Upper level units can remain residential, potentially as premium priced condominiums.

Elsewhere...

Ruth's Chris Steak House and The Cheesecake Factory, if they should land here, need restaurant pads fronting University Avenue, perhaps with Ruth's Chris overlooking the S. University/St. Vincent Circle intersection (Restaurant H, 8,500 SF). Also, at least one restaurant included in the development needs to do a good breakfast.

I attended the Planning Commission meeting today and Park Avenue passed. It was more interesting than that though.

First, the renderings looked to be the same as what was last shown. Target is confirmed and the buildings in the rendering are all tenant-specific (implying they have their tenants lined up). One person, Joe Bell, spoke for the application on behalf of the Briarwood Neighborhood Association. There were a few who spoke against it.

Here is where it got interesting... the people speaking against it were Richard Downing. He is a former Planning Commissioner and served as the chair of the Midtown Redevelopment Taskforce, which I participate on as a neighborhood representative. The MRT bridged the gap between the ULI study and the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board. Craig Berry, the current chair of the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, spoke in opposition. Ruth Bell (Joe's wife), a Briarwood resident, spoke in opposition on behalf of the League of Women Voters. Commissioner Bill Rector, a member of the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, was the only Planning Commissioner to speak in opposition, but he voted for it.

Their opposition was not very adversarial. They are focused on differences between the Design Overlay District (DOD) and the Park Avenue plan. All concede that the Park Avenue plan won't be perfect and won't meet every technical aspect of the DOD. They do argue, however, that the plan can better meet the DOD. In doing so, it will have a larger economic impact for the City. No one was willing to delve into the specifics of the problems publicly, but I got some themes.

• Medium-Density vs High-Density.
  • Not enough of the Urban feel throughout the development.
  • Insufficient pedestrian connectivity.
  • Lack of verticality.
  • Lack of office space.

The Planning Commission won a concession from Strode (represented by Chuck Keller) to meet with Ralph Megna, the redevelopment consultant for the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, at the City's expense in Dallas, to attempt to mitigate some issues. It was made clear to Chuck Keller that any remaining issues, after meeting with Ralph Megna, would be brought to the City Board meeting. I believe this means that the plan will improve.

There does seem to be a tight timeline for construction to start. And, while the application makes the hotel a phase 2 of their development, their stated intent is to build everything as a phase 1.

Target is confirmed and the buildings in the rendering are all tenant-specific (implying they have their tenants lined up).

So the renderings were tenant-specific, but no other tenants were announced? Any ideas from what you could see?

So the renderings were tenant-specific, but no other tenants were announced? Any ideas from what you could see?

Not any ideas independent of what has already been thoroughly discussed on this board (theater, bookstore). There will not be a Macys. I say that because Target is the large box store and the DOD plans would make it next to impossible to fit in another large anchor.

My guess is that the plan will go to the LR City Board in July (August at the latest). I think the Park Avenue construction will start as fast as they can obtain their permits. Based on past experience, any tenant you hear Strode mention over the next year in connection with Park Avenue will be there.

I attended the Planning Commission meeting today and Park Avenue passed. It was more interesting than that though.

First, the renderings looked to be the same as what was last shown. Target is confirmed and the buildings in the rendering are all tenant-specific (implying they have their tenants lined up). One person, Joe Bell, spoke for the application on behalf of the Briarwood Neighborhood Association. There were a few who spoke against it.

Here is where it got interesting... the people speaking against it were Richard Downing. He is a former Planning Commissioner and served as the chair of the Midtown Redevelopment Taskforce, which I participate on as a neighborhood representative. The MRT bridged the gap between the ULI study and the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board. Craig Berry, the current chair of the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, spoke in opposition. Ruth Bell (Joe's wife), a Briarwood resident, spoke in opposition on behalf of the League of Women Voters. Commissioner Bill Rector, a member of the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, was the only Planning Commissioner to speak in opposition, but he voted for it.

Their opposition was not very adversarial. They are focused on differences between the Design Overlay District (DOD) and the Park Avenue plan. All concede that the Park Avenue plan won't be perfect and won't meet every technical aspect of the DOD. They do argue, however, that the plan can better meet the DOD. In doing so, it will have a larger economic impact for the City. No one was willing to delve into the specifics of the problems publicly, but I got some themes.

• Medium-Density vs High-Density.
  • Not enough of the Urban feel throughout the development.
  • Insufficient pedestrian connectivity.
  • Lack of verticality.
  • Lack of office space.

The Planning Commission won a concession from Strode (represented by Chuck Keller) to meet with Ralph Megna, the redevelopment consultant for the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board, at the City's expense in Dallas, to attempt to mitigate some issues. It was made clear to Chuck Keller that any remaining issues, after meeting with Ralph Megna, would be brought to the City Board meeting. I believe this means that the plan will improve.

There does seem to be a tight timeline for construction to start. And, while the application makes the hotel a phase 2 of their development, their stated intent is to build everything as a phase 1.

To add to what turboturtle has stated, some things I found interesting from Briarwoods updated website........ (Briarwood Neighborhood Assoc.)

Apparently Target is adament about having only 1 story and a large parking area in front of the store. (from what you all said DOD advisors wanted 2 stories). Commissioner Bill Rector believes Target and other anchors have dictated alot of the PA planning.

Also, The mixed use buildings will be 5 stories, not 4.

I hope this doesn't end up being a typical suburban strip center like you would see in WLR. Its not a good sign how Target is insisting on dropping in a standard box with a large parking lot and very little, if any accomodation for pedestrians.

Because of the hilly nature of that property (remember how you entered Penney's from the parking lot on level one on the south side, but on level two on the north side?) would it be possible to build Target on one level (with a parking lot at that level), but then have another level of businesses, either above it or below it and they have their own street-level parking, too?

I would think the developer would be clever enough to work this out. They seem like sharp guys.

Glorified STRIP MALL!! how sad.

This had better not be a wasted opportunity. The city planning commission would be wise to stick to the guns and say what WE(the city) want and what we(the city) deserve. Somebody needs to pull their head outa their A** and do this right. Strode is a good man, but please don't just through this up. take some time and do it right.

I have a question. Why not build the target next to the parking deck. Use the parking deck as the parking spaces. These parking lots sit empty all the time. Look at any big box store. What a waste. Please be more creative.

Archived