Knoxville Photos!

RedStar25

• 4 weeks later...

11 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Love Old City! It's really cool and not where you'd expect to find old Knoxville. I expected it to be close to the river, but Knoxville was more of a railroad town.

Knoxville was a big rail mecca in the early to mid-20th century; in terms of light rail, it even had a streetcar downtown until the 1950s. The commercialization of the auto, the decline of limestone quarrying and the decline of textile manufacturing culminated in an economically-depressed Knoxville in the mid-20th century, resulting in a slight population decline from the 1960s to the 1980s. It was not until the 1982 World's Fair when things began to pick back up, and that was still at a painfully slow pace. In fact, much of the transformations to Knoxville's historic urban districts occurred in the 2000s and 2010s. Today, Downtown and the Old City are flourishing, and there is a massive residential boom occurring in both areas (though I do not have the figures for this).  I'm very glad to see a city so rich in history and importance for the state of Tennessee return to its old glory in the southern Appalachians.

Speaking of Knoxville's rail history, the picture I posted was actually taken right in front of Jackson Terminal, which is now a renovated warehouse used primarily for gatherings and concerts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:53 AM, nativetenn said:

Knoxville was a big rail mecca in the early to mid-20th century; in terms of light rail, it even had a streetcar downtown until the 1950s. The commercialization of the auto, the decline of limestone quarrying and the decline of textile manufacturing culminated in an economically-depressed Knoxville in the mid-20th century, resulting in a slight population decline from the 1960s to the 1980s. It was not until the 1982 World's Fair when things began to pick back up, and that was still at a painfully slow pace. In fact, much of the transformations to Knoxville's historic urban districts occurred in the 2000s and 2010s. Today, Downtown and the Old City are flourishing, and there is a massive residential boom occurring in both areas (though I do not have the figures for this).  I'm very glad to see a city so rich in history and importance for the state of Tennessee return to its old glory in the southern Appalachians.

Speaking of Knoxville's rail history, the picture I posted was actually taken right in front of Jackson Terminal, which is now a renovated warehouse used primarily for gatherings and concerts.

I understand there are talks in progress to build a baseball stadium in Old Town when the Smokies' lease on the Sevierville stadium is up in a few years. A retro style facility in this neighborhood would be awesome.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 3:02 AM, PHofKS said:

I understand there are talks in progress to build a baseball stadium in Old Town when the Smokies' lease on the Sevierville stadium is up in a few years. A retro style facility in this neighborhood would be awesome.

It would make so much more sense to have the stadium somewhere more accessible than it is now. Either in closer to Sevierville, Gatlinburg, or Pigeon Forge, or bring them in to Knoxville. As it stands, there's nothing to do before or after the game, so it makes it difficult to turn going out into an event. Perhaps off Summit Hill east of Hall of Fame Drive to provide an extension of the entertainment district, or across Magnolia from Chilhowee Park to help spur some development in that neighborhood. Even somewhere out west wouldn't be so bad, near Cedar Bluff or Bearden maybe?

• Like 1

first time in downtown Knoxville since well the Worlds Fair in 1982 with my parents in the family sedan.  Photos from the top and they do need to clean outside of that Gold ball. 

Lots of photos of downtown and the UT area.   Lots of photos but like I said it has been a LONG time.   I thought downtown Kville was pretty vibrant lots of shops, hotels restaurants etc.  

First photos are major construction site along Cumberland Ave.   Cumberland Ave reminds me of Hillsborough St in Raleigh near NC State campus.   It was clear enough to see the Smokies from the Sunsphere. 

IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7481.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7496.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG

IMG_7500.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_7508.JPG

IMG_7509.JPG

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7511.JPG

IMG_7512.JPG

IMG_7515.JPG

IMG_7516.JPG

IMG_7519.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG

IMG_7521.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7562.JPG

IMG_7573.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7575.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7587.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Tennessine said:

Thanks, @KJHburg! You always deliver quality content no matter where you go. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Knoxville and the Volunteer State. Don't stay away, now!

My niece goes to Belmont in Nashville and will remain in Nashville after graduation since at least yearly visits and I usually stop in Kville to break up the trip depending on when I leave Charlotte. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

My niece goes to Belmont in Nashville and will remain in Nashville after graduation since at least yearly visits and I usually stop in Kville to break up the trip depending on when I leave Charlotte. 

Thanks for all the photos! You're doing yeoman's work! Any chance you'll head to West Tennessee and take some Memphis photos?

You can try the BBQ there and see how it ranks with Carolina Que!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Many moons ago I went to Memphis but I do need to go back and I want to go up that Bass Pro Pyramid for sure.  and downtown of course. 

And when you do check out Interstate BBQ on 3rd Street and the BBQ Shop on Madison.

In the meantime check out the Memphis forum and see what was just announced for the Pinch District right across from the Pyramid!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

random photos  of Knoxville area from downtown to the new Bucee's out on I-40.   what is with this abandoned hotel?  could be it revived or maybe turned into affordable housing or something?   My friend took these while there this weekend. 

IMG_7891.jpg

FullSizeR(3) (1).jpg

IMG_7921.jpg

IMG_7918.jpg

FullSizeR(5).jpg

FullSizeR(6).jpg

FullSizeR(7).jpg

• Like 4

That hotel is the former Hyatt Rwgency built in the early 1970s and an early ‘atrium’ hotel. I actually stayed there in the late 90s on business once and it was showing its age then. I think it changed owners a couple times. Current owner has offered the building for student housing to UT which is going through an enrollment boom. Housing is in critically short supply in Knoxville. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

random photos  of Knoxville area from downtown to the new Bucee's out on I-40.   what is with this abandoned hotel?  could be it revived or maybe turned into affordable housing or something?   My friend took these while there this weekend. 

….

IMG_7921.jpg

The Hyatt Place on Gay St. is the birthplace of the Southeastern Conference, where the original member schools formed what would become the premier collegiate athletic conference today. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That hotel is the former Hyatt Rwgency built in the early 1970s and an early ‘atrium’ hotel. I actually stayed there in the late 90s on business once and it was showing its age then. I think it changed owners a couple times. Current owner has offered the building for student housing to UT which is going through an enrollment boom. Housing is in critically short supply in Knoxville. 

that seems that would be a good conversion.  all rooms with bathrooms and you could put a small microwave and mini fridge in there too. 

• Like 3