Northlake Mall

I want something unique and different as much as the next person. I'm just saying that you are looking in the wrong medium. Malls are the paradigm of cookie-cutter America.

Give me a downtown street dotted with mom & pop joints anyday over a mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess what I was trying to get across was that I don't quite get why folks are so excited about a mall. My point being just that: it's no different than any other you've ever been to, so what's the big deal?

As far as it hurting uptown retail, I think it will hurt North Meck and South Iredell more than the CBD. SouthPark is closer to uptown than Northlake. Plus, who knows what Pappas and Grubb have up their respective sleeves for Midtown and Elizabeth. They are far more relevant to the issue.

I can see Birkdale losing some stores fairly soon. Gap, Inc has already made comments about the uncertainty of whether or not North Meck can support a Bananna Republic at Northlake and at Birkdale.

Anyway, get ready for I-77 to become a nightmare (again).

Edited by Miesian Corners

*shudder* I dread this OH so much. I want my north corridor commuter train NOW not in 2010  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking (hoping really) that the mall traffic won't affect the commuting to work traffic too much. Except for opening day, the mall won't open until 10am and it closes at 9pm, so it shouldn't have too much impact on the 8-5 drivers. Just don't try to use 77N around the mall on Saturday.

I just got back from Hecht's. Nothing special there, but it was really crowded and these are just the people who bought the fundraiser tickets. It's going to be packed on Thursday and on through the weekend. The inside of the mall is not open, but I could see it from Hecht's and it does not look like it will be ready by Thursday morning, but who knows. I found it pretty easy to drive in and out, but people have no idea where they are going once they get on Harris Blvd. Mall traffic has to move from the left to the right lane very quickly for 77S. Needless to say, that will be a disaster on Thursday.

yea I don't think I will ever go to this mall or even ever see the outside in person. I don't see what makes it different from Carolina Place. Eastland will probably shrivel up and die though especially if the Mint Hill mall actually gets built.

I don't see how this would really effect the development of uptown retail though, if there are 13,000+ residents living there every day and 60,000+ coming in every day, there is more then enough business to keep a little ol' store running just by foot traffic. Or so one would think. The area may become self sustainable at some time, where drive in traffic is not required for good business. But then again, I don't know too much about this topic, other people probably have more knowledge.

Edited by moonshield

yea I don't think I will ever go to this mall or even ever see the outside in person. I don't see what makes it different from Carolina Place. Eastland will probably shrivel up and die though especially if the Mint Hill mall actually gets built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it's really all that different from Carolina Place, but all those people who live in North Charlotte and north of Charlotte won't have to drive so far for a mall.

there are far more people in South Charlotte, many more people with money, then in North Charlotte. I don't think Southpark's business will be hurt by this one, the Mint Hill mall could have other implications.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not so sure about that. I have seen no houses in the Southpark area or for that matter, any where else in Charlotte that compare to the ones on and being built on Lake Norman. Where a Mercedes is considered a run of the mill vehicle and there are plenty of boats that cost more than the median priced house in the county. It means these people won't be going to SP anymore as it is a long and treacherous journey to get their from the lake.

I'm not so sure about that.  I have seen no houses in the Southpark area or for that matter, any where else in Charlotte that compare to the ones on and being built on Lake Norman.  Where a Mercedes is considered a run of the mill vehicle and there are plenty of boats that cost more than the median priced house in the county.  It means these people won't be going to SP anymore as it is a long and treacherous journey to get their from the lake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are plenty of them, trust me..

I'm not so sure about that.  I have seen no houses in the Southpark area or for that matter, any where else in Charlotte that compare to the ones on and being built on Lake Norman.  Where a Mercedes is considered a run of the mill vehicle and there are plenty of boats that cost more than the median priced house in the county.  It means these people won't be going to SP anymore as it is a long and treacherous journey to get their from the lake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not even for Nordys and Neimans?

And yeah, there are plenty of houses the same size as those Lake Norman homes around Charlotte, you just gotta find them.

Retailers follow one another. Nieman's, Nordstrom, Prada, Cartier, Tiffany, Burberry, etc...all are (or are being built) at SouthPark. Although there are indeed expensive houses on Lake Norman, there are far more wealthy people in and around SouthPark. Myers Park, Eastover, Dilworth, Foxcroft, Morrowcroft, Quail Hollow, Pellyn Wood and Courance. Don't matter how big of a McMansion you have at the nuclear power plant, what matters is the size of the bank account and median incomes of a group of particular census tracts, the density of such incomes and (as I said up front), what retailers you will share a sidewalk with.

If you want density, I recommend getting on a boat and taking a tour of the lake. 700 miles of shoreline being covered with mind boggling houses. Ive seen outdoor glass elevators on 4-5 story houses, heliports, and several with sea planes. (not sure where you would fly them, maybe to lake wylie) I know there are big homes in the places you mention, but there is absolutely nothing in Dillworth and Myers Park that would compare to this. There are boats on the lake now that cost more than anything in these nighborhoods. BTW, the nuclear plant at the south end of the lake is closer to DT Charlotte than portions of lake norman.

There are plenty of them, trust me..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. Here are a few rather expensive homes for sale right now in South Charlotte.

These are right next to SouthPark mall in Morrocroft Estates

$3.5 million

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/search/lis...m?mlsnum=478447

$3.49 million

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/search/lis...m?mlsnum=515871

In EastOver

$4.25 million

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/search/lis...m?mlsnum=538196

Elsewhere in South Charlotte

$7 million in the Carmel area.

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/search/lis...m?mlsnum=444651

$5.94 million (Evermay by Ballantyne)

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/search/lis...m?mlsnum=532526

The most expensive home for sale on the lake right now is

$4.49 million

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/search/lis...m?mlsnum=515317

The most expensive homes in Charlotte are on the South Side. BUT yes the lake has a mind blowing number of extremely large homes that are very grand.

Edited by moonshield

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

???? so the people who for years have driven their top of the line cars to DC, Raleigh, and Atlanta for their high-end, name-brand shopping will suddenly find the drive to SouthPark too far ????

Indeed. Here are a few rather expensive homes for sale right now in South Charlotte.

The most expensive homes in Charlotte are on the South Side. BUT yes the lake has a mind blowing number of extremely large homes that are very grand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take note the most expensive houses on that list also include 5+ acres of land. The house on lake norman is on a 1 acre lot. If you could find it, I would like the see the price of a house on Lake Noman with 5 acres of property. It would be in the stratosphere. Given that information, what I have said so far is correct.

A few predictions:

1. Sears will leave Eastland and will go to Northlake.

2. Eastland will survive as an inner-city mall since no other Charlotte regional malls cater to urban shoppers.

3. Uptown retail will increase in scope over the next few years, but the stores that will come will be mainly the types of stores that are already in uptown, catering to office workers who need to shop during lunchtime and to people who live uptown and who don't have time to drive to a mall. Since people do destination shopping where they live, not where they work, mall-type stores won't come uptown for many years. Northlake didn't necessarily cause this; Belk's and Ivey's closed uptown even when the only regional malls were SouthPark, Eastland and Carolina Place.