Block 11 Tower Progress

urbanvb

I wish it were taller too, at least you can see it from the freeway. The crown should help a lot. Looks like it topped out at 15 floors, meaning that it was originally supposed to be 13 floors, not 14. They probably were just skipping floor 13 and calling it 14 (I hate that practice, it's stupid and misleading :angry: ). The base of the tower is so wide that it looks like it should easily go up to 30 or 40 floors.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I was driving across the Lesner Bridge westbound today, I looked over to Town Center (as usual) and at the crest of the bridge you can see the top portion of the Block 11 tower breaking the tree line. After the lighted crown is completed, we should have a nice night time view of the 3 towers that so far make up the skyline. While I wish it was about 3-5 levels taller, I am well pleased (and thankful) that we have this new addition, especially in today's economy. (we should have an even better view from this perspective after the taller Lesner is completed)

How do i post recent pics on here?

Depends, are you uploading from your computer or posting from an image hosting site? If you're uploading from your computer you can upload the pics as attachments by first clicking the "more reply options". Under the reply box you should see "attach files" and underneath that "choose file". Simply push that button to browse your computer and choose an image. Once you have the image selected click "attach this file" and then "add reply. If posting from an image hosting site simply copy the URL and enclose it in "[img ]image URL " tags

I was just there today actually and from the interstate you cant see to much of it until you're right by it and compared to the westin it looks small but it fills in the space between the westin and the armada hoffler tower nicely when driving up the boulevard. And it looks really good, I only saw it from va beach blvd though so im not sure how the apartments look, I was at the Walgreens across the street and the crane was moving and lifting something up(couldn't see what though).

It looks really good walking down the street, at least on Town Center. It kills my sunrise from the Cosmo, but other than that, it's really nice. The apartments are looking better, mostly finished on Main, but still need to work on the SE corner where they are just starting this past week or so.

I drive down 264 every day and finally got a chance to glance at Town Center this morning, where the Interstate crosses Independence. They are putting a facade on the side facing the Interstate and it's taller than I thought. TC is gaining a nice little presence, Can't wait to see how it looks in a few years, esp. if they decide to build on the other side of Independence.

I drive down 264 every day and finally got a chance to glance at Town Center this morning, where the Interstate crosses Independence. They are putting a facade on the side facing the Interstate and it's taller than I thought. TC is gaining a nice little presence, Can't wait to see how it looks in a few years, esp. if they decide to build on the other side of Independence.

I agree, once you guys see the redevelopment of the old HQ area into urban city blocks with new buildings popping up on them, then the Pembroke area will really start feeling like a real downtown.  Then it is just a matter of time before the mall gets redeveloped.

I agree, once you guys see the redevelopment of the old HQ area into urban city blocks with new buildings popping up on them, then the Pembroke area will really start feeling like a real downtown.  Then it is just a matter of time before the mall gets redeveloped.

It will feel like a real downtown when they do something to make the whole thing more pedestrian friendly. There need to be some pedestrian bridges or something to aid navigating over Independence and VB Blvd. I would, however, LOVE to see the mall redeveloped into something that mirrors the current town center. I'd also love to see more creative developers than Armada Hoffler...

A few years ago, there was a proposal to build a pedestrian bridge across VB Blvd., thus making Town Center feel a little closer to Pembroke Mall, but the plans fell through. With all the upgrades Pembroke just had, I doubt they'll do something to mirror TC, although that was what I had hoped they'd do (like what Hampton did with Coliseum Mall).

I def. agree it needs to be more pedestrian friendly, esp. if/when light rail makes its way through that area. You will not be able to have city blocks on either side of Independence without a few pedestrian bridges!

Their was a cool rendering of the bridge!

At least make the out parcels of the mall more of an urban construction.

Was it this one? The Google Images search points back to a January 2008 article...further back than I thought.

21641.jpg

That is a pretty sweet design, but had they gone with it, I would've proposed somehow expanding the mall closer to the street, or adding more shops at that foot of the parking lot. Maybe a tower on the right side of the image, where Max and Erma's and Macaroni Grill are.

I imagine you guys will eventually see the mall be redeveloped in stages, probably in a way to test the waters to try and do something different than a suburban mall.  I wouldn't worry too much about the upgrades they have made as a reasoning for not redeveloping the area because when it comes to malls, what has been renovated today can easily be torn down tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived