The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. May 4th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

The game is at 3PM, so there should not be a problem.

seriously john?  people will be arriving all day, hardcore tailgaters will not be a problem as we will be in our spots as soon as the lot opens, but other will be working their way in, and people from out of town will take all the wrong turns. it wont be on the level of the music city bowl being the same day as a preds  game. but it will be crowded. 

seriously john?  people will be arriving all day, hardcore tailgaters will not be a problem as we will be in our spots as soon as the lot opens, but other will be working their way in, and people from out of town will take all the wrong turns. it wont be on the level of the music city bowl being the same day as a preds  game. but it will be crowded. 

I guess you may be right. If this were a game against Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma  Fla. State, Nebraska, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State etc I could see it, but Bowling Green? A UT fan here at work thought this was Bowling Green , Kentucky. I had to tell him it was Bowling Green Ohio. He still said, "Who the hell is Bowling Green?"

In any case, have fun. I am looking forward to the Titans schedule this year. At least they don't mess up my downtown on a Saturday! Why was this not played in Knoxville anyway?

I guess you may be right. If this were a game against Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma  Fla. State, Nebraska, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State etc I could see it, but Bowling Green? A UT fan here at work thought this was Bowling Green , Kentucky. I had to tell him it was Bowling Green Ohio. He still said, "Who the hell is Bowling Green?"

In any case, have fun. I am looking forward to the Titans schedule this year. At least they don't mess up my downtown on a Saturday! Why was this not played in Knoxville anyway?

They are trying to start a tradition of one UT game at Nissan Stadium every September to help solidify their fan base in this part of the state.

They are trying to start a tradition of one UT game at Nissan Stadium every September to help solidify their fan base in this part of the state.

That should be MTSU, TSU, or Austin Peay for a local school, but I guess UT has a lot of Davidson County graduates. If I lived in Knoxville and got one less home game a year, I would be upset. Not everyone wants the hassle of driving 176 miles, parking, getting a room etc...

Edited by Paramount747

That should be MTSU, TSU, or Austin Peay for a local school, but I guess UT has a lot of Davidson County graduates. If I lived in Knoxville and got one less home game a year, I would be upset. Not everyone wants the hassle of driving 176 miles, parking, getting a room etc...

Let's be honest, TSU and Austin Peay couldn't fill 1/4 of the lower bowl at Nissan Stadium. MTSU vs. Vanderbilt would be fun, but probably wouldn't draw more than 40,000.

UT is the only college in the state that is going to fill that stadium.

They do things like this because it's beneficial for UT to play closer to other parts of its alumni base, yes. Not just Davidson County, but all of Middle Tennessee. Mind you, it's also much closer to Memphis, where you could drive back after the game....something that is very difficult to do all the way from Knoxville. It's a centralized location.

Of course not everyone wants the hassle of driving from Knoxville....but I don't think most fans at this game will be coming from there. And I doubt it really upsets the Knoxville crowd that much. They know what things like this mean for recruiting. And Nashville is a much, much better party town for the non-college 21+ crowd.

Bond is in the Gulch, correct?

I think so. That's where I'm going. If it's somewhere else....well...you and I can have a little forum meet! LOL

• Like 3

Just remember John, we are getting the tax money from Orange Nation vs Knoxville getting it. It will be one big party for them.

We don't need their money that bad. I just don't get this enthusiasm for a mediocre football team who had 4-5 straight losing seasons, and very low graduation rate for its athletes. It coats millions of tax payer dollars supporting their football team, and this is a team that lost to lowly Vanderbilt 2 years in a row. I just don't get this Big Orange obsession. It's a wash. They don't nearly give back to Nashville for one football game as much as they take in tax dollars from the taxpayers of Tennessee.

Well, enough of that. WW said the group had 12 people today. Sorry I missed. I am under the weather with a cold, and I did not want to have to walk through The Big Orange Nation to get to the meet! Will probably miss next month as I have family coming in to town. I have not been to a meet since May. Just have not been able to find the time.

Hope fun was enjoyed by all.

As bad as Vanderbilt is now, I doubt they could fill up half the stadium. Again, another school wasting it's money on football pursuits that in the end gain them nothing.

• Like 1

We don't need their money that bad. I just don't get this enthusiasm for a mediocre football team who had 4-5 straight losing seasons, and very low graduation rate for its athletes. It coats millions of tax payer dollars supporting their football team, and this is a team that lost to lowly Vanderbilt 2 years in a row. I just don't get this Big Orange obsession. It's a wash. They don't nearly give back to Nashville for one football game as much as they take in tax dollars from the taxpayers of Tennessee.

Well, enough of that. WW said the group had 12 people today. Sorry I missed. I am under the weather with a cold, and I did not want to have to walk through The Big Orange Nation to get to the meet! Will probably miss next month as I have family coming in to town. I have not been to a meet since May. Just have not been able to find the time.

Hope fun was enjoyed by all.

As bad as Vanderbilt is now, I doubt they could fill up half the stadium. Again, another school wasting it's money on football pursuits that in the end gain them nothing.

That's OK, John, we did miss you (at least I had sort of sensed that you might have shown up).  It was a decent li'l meeting this morning, the major issue being the acoustics in Bond with its high-ceiling hard surfaces, food-prep machinery and customer chatter maked it rather difficult for a deaf-n-dumb boy like me to make out all being discussed.  They say that it's a stop-gap until there is consensus on just where it can be decided to meet in the future.  I likely will not attend next month myself, due to an upcoming eye surgery on the 29th of this month, much too close to the next first-Saturday meet.
-==-

Zero tax money pays for the UT football team.  In fact until multiple coaching changes caused it to stop.  The UT athletic department was giving millions to the school every year.  And alumni that love their school donate money to that school.  Sports tend to keep alumni involved and therefor bring in donations to the school.  Schools that give up football often bring it back after a few years because donations fall.  

And football at most schools ools pays for all other sports. Keeping them from needing tax money.  

• 3 weeks later...

Your meeting, your rules. I think the plan was to get together at Family Wash version two point zero. Up to you though, I'm on vacation.

I'm cool with the Family Wash. If everyone else is fine with that, that's what we'll do. I'm open to suggestions, though. Please post here.

And I may be running it, but it will more or less be the same as the others. Not planning any big changes.