Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

There's a K-Mart in Gonzales, and Winn-Dixie in Prairieville.

Winn Dixie is one of my least favorites. Their prices are absurd, the quality is terrible, and their stores are just large enough to be a a chore but too small to offer the value advantages of a super center.

Worst of both worlds, IMO. Albertsons too.

Don't know how Winn Dixie stays in business??

From the DDD....

Investment_emailheader.jpg

Downtown Investment Escalates

Corroborating the Economic Viability of Baton Rouge's Downtown

Yesterday's Downtown Development District Board Meeting at the City Club revealed many innovative projects and partnerships recently initiated, corroborating the economic viability of Baton Rouge's Downtown. The Downtown has received a remarkable amount of public and private investment over the years. These investments continue to attract the attention of developers, designers, and investors interested in projects that will benefit Baton Rouge's quality of life.

EPA Greening America's Capitals Awarded to Downtown Greenway

The Downtown Development District is pleased to fully announce EPA's award to Baton Rouge, as one of five cities selected, to receive technical assistance for the Downtown Greenway through the Greening America's Capitals program. Greening America's Capitals is a project of the Partnership for Sustainable Communities between EPA, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). Baton Rouge will receive assistance in planning a Downtown Greenway in the heart of Louisiana's capital city that will connect the inner city residential areas with the city's Downtown.

The proposed Greenway will be a 2.75-mile pedestrian and bicycling corridor that links neighborhoods to parks, businesses, and cultural attractions. The Greening America's Capitals project will specifically create design options that incorporate green infrastructure elements into the Greenway plan to ensure that the city's investment creates green spaces that provide environmental benefits while sparking new investments and redevelopment in the city's core. The Greenway will provide residents and visitors with options for walking and biking in order to reduce air pollution from automobile travel and to encourage active and healthy lifestyles for residents. The project will begin in fall 2012, will include an onsite design workshop and will conclude with a final report that includes design options for implementation. Click here to view the Greenway funding matrix.

New Look for Downtown Market

Cooper Alvarez, the Director of the Big River Economic and Agricultural Alliance (BREADA), presented renderings of the proposed renovation of the Main Street Market redesigned by Commercial Design Interiors Group and a team of LSU students. These renovations focus on maximizing the functionality of the space to accommodate the ever increasing abundance of Red Stick Farmers Market. An exhibition of the work is planned for September 18, 2012 at 6:00pm in the LSU College of Art and Design Atrium. Click here for the presentation invite.

Capital Venture Fund Focused on Downtown

Trey Godfrey, a partner in Vision City and president of Springboard Baton Rouge announced the Capital Region Venture Partners' interest in investing 5 million dollars of seed capital to digital media technology companies and real estate predevelopment funding in and around Downtown Baton Rouge. Springboard will select four companies to participate this fall in the Startup Accelerator Program; selected companies will be announced this Friday. Click here to view the press release.

Historic Spanish Town Renovations

Also announced at the DDD Board Meeting, was the acquisition of 13 residential properties in the Historic Spanish Town area by local investors. The properties acquired will be updated and renovated to contribute to the overall historic quality of the Spanish Town Area. Included are longtime area investors, Lance Bennett and Ben Babin who alone are investing in 6 of the properties in this latest wave of redevelopment.

These initiatives are in addition to the recent announcements involving the Commerce Building bringing added residential, office, and retail space as well as the Ameritas Technology Center adding 300 jobs to Downtown and the $1.5 million recently awarded for Downtown Greenway Construction. Recent private investment and attention to Downtown has accelerated to an unprecedented and exciting level, ensuring Downtown's continued progress and its ability to economically impact the entire Parish of East Baton Rouge.

• 3 weeks later...

To: DDD Commission

Downtown Stakeholders

Re: DDD Commission Meeting, Agenda

Our October DDD Commission Meeting will be held at the First United Methodist Church Conference Center - 930 North Boulevard on Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 8:00 a.m. Please mark your calendars to attend this important meeting. Parking is available in the church parking lot on America Street (corner of America St. and East Blvd). Please enter the church conference center from America Street.

Join us as we discuss a number of exciting projects including updates on the Commerce Building, Downtown Greenway, Downtown Design Resource Center and a special 'new business' announcement.

We will begin promptly at 8 a.m. Attached below is the agenda for your perusal, and we thank First United Methodist for hosting us.

See you on Tuesday at 8 a.m. and please let me know if you have any questions.

Parking Map

Add to calendar

Thanks,

Davis

[email protected]

DDD Commission Meeting

Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 8:00 a.m.

First United Methodist Church, Conference Center, 930 North Blvd.

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve September 11th, 2012 Minutes

5. Board Action

6. Update from Previous Board Meeting

a. Governmental Issues

• 2013 DDD Budget
  • DPW Maintenance Report

b. Development Initiatives
    • Downtown Greenway Update
    • Galvez Plaza Stage Canopy Update
    • Florida Street and River Road Levee Access/LASM improvements
    • Repentance Park Update
    • Commerce Building Update
    • Design Resource Center
    • Hilton Capitol Center
    • BR Walls Project - Wall #2
    • New Business
    • Events
      o 13th Gate & Necropolis
      o Live After Five Concerts - Oct. 12,19,26
      o Belle of Baton Rouge Concerts - Oct. 12,19,26
      o Sunday in the Park - Oct. 14,21,28, Nov. 4,11
      o 2012 Jambalaya Jam - Oct. 11
      o FUMC Cambodia Craft Sale - Oct. 14
      o White Cane Day / Tapas & Wine - Oct. 17
      o 1st Annual Pink Party - Oct. 18
      o Grandparents Day at St. Joseph Cathedral - Oct. 21
      o Hollydays Hustle - Oct. 20 / Hollydays - 24 - 27
      o Halloween Parade / Louisiana Book Festival - Oct. 27
      o Realtor's Expo - Nov. 1
      o B.R. Arts Market - Nov. 3
      o Capitol Park Museum
      o LASM
      o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
      o Old State Capitol - Exhibit / Castle Creepfest - Oct. 29
      o FHL/Old Governor's Mansion - "Masquerade at the Mansion" Oct. 11
      o River Center Events

7. Strategic Plan

a. Plan Baton Rouge II

8. Ongoing Projects

[*]Construction Updates

[*]CPEX

[*]BREADA

o 2nd Annual Tailgating Throwdown - Oct. 20

o RSFM & MSM Anniversary - Nov. 3

9. Correspondence

10. Public Comment

Pharmacy planned for downtown Baton Rouge

In an announcement DDD Executive Director Davis Rhorer jokes is "about 40 years in the making," a new pharmacy is planned for the 300 block of Third Street downtown. T.J. Woodard says his business will be called Prescriptions to Geaux, and will deliver in the downtown area. He expects to open early next year and plans to conduct a survey through the DDD before deciding which products he will stock. Also discussed at today's DDD Commission meeting:

• New Orleans-based architecture firm Eskew+Dumez+Ripple has been selected to lead the renovation of the Commerce Building. A public planning meeting is slated for Nov. 1. Local projects in which the firm participated include the Louisiana State Museum, the Shaw Center for the Arts, Lamar Advertising's corporate headquarters, the Bienville state office building, and the LSU Life Sciences Building Annex.

• "You all are the beneficiaries of any type of newspaper war," says Carlos Sanchez, who will be the managing editor of the NOLA Media Group Baton Rouge bureau at One American Place. He says a Baton Rouge-centric menu of news will be available at Nola.com next month, with a three-days-a-week print Baton Rouge edition of The Times-Picayune slated for November or December, he says.

• A $620,070 proposed budget for 2013 was put forward. The commission will vote on the budget next month.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

• Like 2

More news....

Pharmacy planned downtown for downtown BR

After decades of going without, downtown Baton Rouge should have a full-service pharmacy by early next year.

T.J. Woodard told the Downtown Development District’s board Tuesday that he plans to open Prescriptions to

Geaux in the 300 block of Third Street next to Faye’s Subs and Sandwiches and offer pickup and delivery service.

And.....

RIVER GATEWAY: After a year and a half, the DDD received permission for a 50-foot pedestrian right of way from Canadian National railroad for its planned gateway to the Mississippi River levee at Florida Boulevard.

rest of article...

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/4109931-123/pharmacy-planned-downtown-for-downtown

After the $1 million the city spent on a stage canopy, how do you guys feel about the River Gateway and Downtown Greenway under I-110? Have the city's investments impressed you with the amount of private investment we have seen?

Hard to judge in a recession. Louisiana may be in a position for economic growth looking forward.....We'll see.

My concern is that things are concentrated in one area, while other parts of the city are left to decay.

Between a courthouse, a library, a town square, a greenway, and a million dollar tent all in one part or downtown.....I wonder about our priorities when we have an underfunded police department, an inadequate prison, and horrible public schools.

Why aren't we sweating the small stuff in other parts of town too?

Can't attract private investment without addressing fundamental problems with the city- and that was never the lack of a stage canopy. .

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Hard to judge in a recession. Louisiana may be in a position for economic growth looking forward.....We'll see.

My concern is that things are concentrated in one area, while other parts of the city are left to decay.

Between a courthouse, a library, a town square, a greenway, and a million dollar tent all in one part or downtown.....I wonder about our priorities when we have an underfunded police department, an inadequate prison, and horrible public schools.

Why aren't we sweating the small stuff in other parts of town too?

Can't attract private investment without addressing fundamental problems with the city- and that was never the lack of a stage canopy. .

I have the same concerns as you. Everything you mentioned can be fixed with money, money that was spent elsewhere, except schools. You cannot just throw money at schools to improve them, one way to improve schools is to improve the neighborhood they serve though. In most cases, improvements to their neighborhoods haven't begun either.

Much of it boils down to parenting too, how can you expect these kids to do better in school when their parents encourage them to drop out or resort to crime? It's a vicious circle.

• Like 1

I have the same concerns as you. Everything you mentioned can be fixed with money, money that was spent elsewhere, except schools. You cannot just throw money at schools to improve them, one way to improve schools is to improve the neighborhood they serve though. In most cases, improvements to their neighborhoods haven't begun either.

Much of it boils down to parenting too, how can you expect these kids to do better in school when their parents encourage them to drop out or resort to crime? It's a vicious circle.

I agree completely.....but I also think that overspending by a government entity can be dangerous and harmful to their long term solvency. I'd argue that Baton Rouge and the state of Louisiana sacrifice many things to balance their budgets. Not so much the same with the Feds.

In EBR, a disproportionate amount of those precious parish tax dollars seem to have been concentrated on tiny party of the city. Just something I think we should point out.

That money comes from taxpayers. There is only so much you can tap them for before they pack up and move to a suburb.....and at what point will downtown be able to go a few years without a major new public investment?

BTW....you see the "waiting for superman" documentary? I think it's on Netflix.

Edited by cajun

I agree completely.....but I also think that overspending by a government entity can be dangerous and harmful to their long term solvency. I'd argue that Baton Rouge and the state of Louisiana sacrifice many things to balance their budgets. Not so much the same with the Feds.

In EBR, a disproportionate amount of those precious parish tax dollars seem to have been concentrated on tiny party of the city. Just something I think we should point out.

That money comes from taxpayers. There is only so much you can tap them for before they pack up and move to a suburb.....and at what point will downtown be able to go a few years without a major new public investment?

BTW....you see the "waiting for superman" documentary? I think it's on Netflix.

Well you see the idea is that private investment will flourish, and it has, maybe not as fast as they would have liked though. With more residential planned for downtown and River Place still not cancelled, the potential downtown and in Mid-City are still high. Downtown is usually the most valuable part of a city, and can bring the most tax revenue back to the city with the concentration of residents and businesses. Downtown still has plenty of years to go with planned projects.

What would be perfect would be a F500 or F1000 company to build a tower downtown. Has the city done anything to try and attract a company that large with that many potential employees?

Albermarle is downtown. Jindal's office and Holden's office worked to help their transition.

The low natural gas prices help the manufacturing here (though hurts us in other ways). In this case, the manufacturing and engineering services company moved their corporate offices here.

The state and parish work very well together. Gaining jobs in an economy like this is definately unusual. I'm sure downtown is positioned well to attract some companies.

I just think the potential is higher for more hotels and residences than an office tower.

Edited by cajun

• 4 weeks later...

Yes indeed Antrell...seeing some more cranes downtown would be exciting!

DDD Commission Meeting

Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 8:00 a.m.

Capitol Park Welcome Center, 702 N. River Rd.

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve September 11th, 2012 Minutes

5. Board Action

6. Update from Previous Board Meeting

a. Governmental Issues

• 2013 DDD Budget
  • Literary Capitol Research

b. Development Initiatives
    • Downtown Greenway Update
    • Galvez Plaza Stage Canopy Update
    • Repentance Park Update
    • Convention Street Park Ribbon Cutting
    • Commerce Building Update
    • Design Resource Center Open House
    • Hartley Vey Studio Entrance - Clark Gernon
    • Spanish Town Recognition
    • New Business
      o Mud & Water
      o Jimmy Johns
    • Events
      o BRAC & BREW - Nov. 14
      o Belle of Baton Rouge Free Concert Series - Nov. 16,23,30, Dec. 7, 14, 21,28
      o Turkey Trot - Nov. 22
      o Festival of Lights / Reindeer Run - Nov. 30
      o A Christmas Tea - Dec. 1
      o Baton Rouge Arts Market - Dec. 1,8,15
      o Christmas Parade / Santa Fun Run - Dec.
      o B. R. Concert Band - Dec. 9
      o FUMC Cambodia Craft Sale - Dec. 9
      o LASM
      o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
      o FHL/Old Governor's Mansion
      o River Center Events - BRSO

7. Strategic Plan

a. Plan Baton Rouge II

8. Ongoing Projects

[*]Construction Updates

[*]CPEX

[*]BREADA

9. Correspondence

10. Public Comment

Shaw is on the list but they won't move down town ever.

I hate to break it to this board, but the days of large corporations building giant towers in city centers are numbered.

More are choosing to replace their downtown offices with suburban "office campus" developments. In fact, every single HQ project that I've been involved with professionally fit that trend....usually smaller and mid sized firms outgrowing their office space and choosing to locate near the majority of their employees' homes in the suburbs.

I'm working on a very nice project in a city not unlike Baton Rouge that will replace an existing downtown corporate office building. The campus will eventually be a total over 750,000 square feet of 5 story buildings or less.....with room to expand. It has a lake, walking trail, nature preserve, and ample parking with access gates and 4 guard shacks.

About 70,000 square feet alone is for a data center to house Information Systems hardware and servers.

You will never see a F1000 or F500 firm move downtown into a purpose build structure that isn't already there today. Office buildings in downtown settings will be built by developers who intend to lease it out to numerous tenants.

This is the primary answer to high fuel prices and long commute times. Employers moving closer to their employees.

Edited by cajun

There is exactly 0 evidence that the trend of moving employment centers closer to where people live is "falling in" on itself. In fact, it seems to be sweeping the industry more today than ever.

What doesn't seem to be working is the social and political patterns responsible for the residential housing trends in modern America that fuels sprawl. Since those issues will never be addressed in most cities, this trend will continue.

Moving employment centers closer to the where the employees live and shop reduces commute time thus eases traffic. This is a good trend.

Edited by cajun

There is exactly 0 evidence that the trend of moving employment centers closer to where people live is "falling in" on itself. In fact, it seems to be sweeping the industry more today than ever.

What doesn't seem to be working is the social and political patterns responsible for the residential housing trends in modern America that fuels sprawl. Since those issues will never be addressed in most cities, this trend will continue.

Moving employment centers closer to the where the employees live and shop reduces commute time thus eases traffic. This is a good trend.

It was also a good trend to move a few miles away from the city while still working in the city. For employers, this is a great short-term fix. However this isn't the type of model we should be following. I agree that the social, political, and economic patterns are responsible for these trends.

Moving employment centers and basically creating new city centers, leave the infrastructure we already have in place to decay and become dilapidated, bring commerce further away from an area that is in dire need, and in the future, will create traffic problems for the new areas.