Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

It's a tricky situation; there are some legit questions some bring up; the co$t/ comparison of the componets with the other past proposals. And what about the synchronization of traffic lights?? Something needs to be done...

Interesting play on words in ths BusinessReport article; last time I heard that it was used in DC a few months back...

The devil's in the details

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2011/jul/23/devils-details-gvpt1/

My fav quote from the article:

"I was like, 'Where's all the work? Where's the seven months' worth of work they needed to get this together?'" he says. "This is the same proposal voters have already rejected twice. Some of the cost estimates haven't even been updated. I mean, come on."

Good work there Kip. Good work.

Nice article on the renovation of the historic Kress Bldg at Third & Main. Wish they could have added a few floors. I like the way he breaks down Downtown's revitalization in 5 phases

A springboard for history

The project would not have been feasible without tax credits for historic renovations and for investing in low-income communities. While there were public discussions of putting in a movie theater or adding several floors of residences, the historic tax credit requirements ultimately limited what changes could be made to the structures.

Schneider divides the revitalization of downtown into five phases, starting with the consolidation of state government, led by former Commissioner of Administration Mark Drennan under former Gov. Mike Foster. Phase two was the emergence of the Shaw Center for the Arts and the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center. The Kress, Hotel Indigo [also a Cyntreniks project], II City Plaza and the new 19th Judicial District Courthouse all are part of phase three, he says.

Phase four, he says, will include infill projects, especially on Third Street, leading to the final phase, when businesses are clamoring to get into the spaces developed by those that have gone before. He also says the projects will begin to spread outward past 10th Street. Several consultants have said residential development on the outskirts of the official downtown could be the key to bringing the city's core to the next level.

"It's going to be Mid City, Old South," Schneider says. "Those areas are really the next frontier for downtown."

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2011/jul/23/springboard-history-rlet1/

• Like 2

Nice article on the renovation of the historic Kress Bldg at Third & Main. Wish they could have added a few floors. I like the way he breaks down Downtown's revitalization in 5 phases

A springboard for history

The project would not have been feasible without tax credits for historic renovations and for investing in low-income communities. While there were public discussions of putting in a movie theater or adding several floors of residences, the historic tax credit requirements ultimately limited what changes could be made to the structures.

Schneider divides the revitalization of downtown into five phases, starting with the consolidation of state government, led by former Commissioner of Administration Mark Drennan under former Gov. Mike Foster. Phase two was the emergence of the Shaw Center for the Arts and the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center. The Kress, Hotel Indigo [also a Cyntreniks project], II City Plaza and the new 19th Judicial District Courthouse all are part of phase three, he says.

Phase four, he says, will include infill projects, especially on Third Street, leading to the final phase, when businesses are clamoring to get into the spaces developed by those that have gone before. He also says the projects will begin to spread outward past 10th Street. Several consultants have said residential development on the outskirts of the official downtown could be the key to bringing the city's core to the next level.

"It's going to be Mid City, Old South," Schneider says. "Those areas are really the next frontier for downtown."

http://www.businessr...-history-rlet1/

Great article!

• 2 weeks later...

New downtown strategic plan draft will propose new incentives, boundaries

The draft version of a proposed Downtown Development District strategic plan will include new economic incentives and possible expansion of the DDD's boundaries. DDD Executive Director Davis Rhorer says the draft plan will be unveiled for public comment next month. Rhorer says commissioners have discussed the issue with the parish assessor's office and that two possible maps showing proposed new boundaries will be included in the draft plan. Commissioners have previously discussed expanding into Mid City. The DDD is a taxing district, and expansion would require approval from the Legislature and voters. Economic incentives could include mezzanine financing availability for downtown projects. Incentives available now in downtown are explained at downtownbatonrouge.org. Also discussed at today's DDD meeting:

—The LSU football game day shuttle will run again this season. The staging area will be at Lafayette and Convention streets. Cost will be $3.50 per round-trip.

—The infrastructure and subdivision site plan for the River Park mixed-use development, as well as an ISPUD for a residential/mixed-use project at 438 Main Street, go before the Planning Commission Aug. 22.

—Hotel Indigo has been named one of the 10 best hotels for customer service among the 40 Hotel Indigo properties across the U.S.

Businessreport.com

• 1 month later...

Draft plan for DDD includes expansion and incentives

A draft strategic plan presented to the Downtown Development District Commission today proposes two options for expanding the district. Option 1 picks up most of its new area to the north and east, including land east of Spanish Town that’s ripe for residential and office development, as well as an industrial park off Choctaw Drive, which DDD Director Davis Rhorer says could be an employment center for the inner city. Option 2 expands south along the Nicholson Drive corridor between LSU and downtown, which planners say can support a great deal of new housing. The DDD currently imposes a 10 mill property tax, and any expansion would require legislative and voter approval. Desired economic incentives include "synthetic TIFs," which can provide bondholders with additional security backed by a portion of a city's general fund, and forgivable loans for retail businesses hurt by the recession. The commission takes up the proposal next month. More information is available at here.

Also mentioned at today's DDD meeting:

— A Halloween parade will run Oct. 29 downtown at 2 p.m. More information is at 1031consortium.com.

— Aztecas Mexican Cuisine will be opening in the next several months at Lafayette and Main streets. Butler/Snow, a law firm based in Jackson, Miss., and MJ Networking, an IT consulting business, also have moved into downtown.

—The 13th Gate haunted house opens Sept. 22.

Businessreport.com

Page 6: The plan mentions how the people that would live in the new housing around downtown would be low to average income families and people, shouldn't they be a little more optimistic to create a market for higher-end living?

Page 7: Option 1 should be a no-brainer. Would option 2 encompass the option 1 and 2 boundaries? I think it would be beneficial in their efforts to build a streetcar line, along with the additional housing.

Page 9: The taxes being imposed on the areas east and south of downtown would be a burden on the people living there, although the budget for the DDD is significantly lower than that of New Orleans' and they have done some very impressive things with that low budget. Raising it would only allow for much more improvement.

Overall, I'm proud of the DDD and the advancements they helped facilitate in the area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting letter in th Opinion" section....I like Being Stupid's #20 comment

Letter: Why a generation is leaving town

As a 23-year-old “young professional,” I have a desire to live in a sophisticated, active, inspiring, convenient and pleasant urban area. As many studies, polls and my own observations have shown, this is far from a unique desire in my generation and the generations to come.

The continuing rejections to fund projects for downtown are an example of the Metro Council’s and the current majority population’s inability to recognize future implications of such policy. These projects, most of which already have dedicated funds, are seeds of future private-sector-driven prosperity. The town square with an iconic stage canopy and an iconic library are investments which will be returned over and over with the private sector rushing in to capitalize on these inspiring public investments with new downtown housing and business.

After decades of slow revitalization of our downtown, we are now so close to having a place desirable to live and work. But now, after such an exciting charge toward a critical mass of public sector downtown development, we seem to be stopping short. We need to realize that stopping short of a critical mass of publicly funded projects in urban design situations could mean all of this will remain a cost rather than an investment.

I, along with so many of my generation, will leave this city because there is no place to live downtown because the private sector does not want to build downtown because attractive public investments in downtown are consistently stifled.

http://theadvocate.com/home/884725-79/letter-why-a-generation-is.html

Interesting letter in th Opinion" section....I like Being Stupid's #20 comment Letter: Why a generation is leaving town As a 23-year-old “young professional,” I have a desire to live in a sophisticated, active, inspiring, convenient and pleasant urban area. As many studies, polls and my own observations have shown, this is far from a unique desire in my generation and the generations to come. The continuing rejections to fund projects for downtown are an example of the Metro Council’s and the current majority population’s inability to recognize future implications of such policy. These projects, most of which already have dedicated funds, are seeds of future private-sector-driven prosperity. The town square with an iconic stage canopy and an iconic library are investments which will be returned over and over with the private sector rushing in to capitalize on these inspiring public investments with new downtown housing and business. After decades of slow revitalization of our downtown, we are now so close to having a place desirable to live and work. But now, after such an exciting charge toward a critical mass of public sector downtown development, we seem to be stopping short. We need to realize that stopping short of a critical mass of publicly funded projects in urban design situations could mean all of this will remain a cost rather than an investment. I, along with so many of my generation, will leave this city because there is no place to live downtown because the private sector does not want to build downtown because attractive public investments in downtown are consistently stifled. http://theadvocate.com/home/884725-79/letter-why-a-generation-is.html

Guy is a good friend of mine from school haha. Here you will find his blog, in which he has designed some interesting conceptual proposals for BR, including the Acadian Village site.

http://avellone.wordpress.com/

Interesting letter in th Opinion" section....I like Being Stupid's #20 comment

Letter: Why a generation is leaving town

As a 23-year-old “young professional,” I have a desire to live in a sophisticated, active, inspiring, convenient and pleasant urban area. As many studies, polls and my own observations have shown, this is far from a unique desire in my generation and the generations to come.

The continuing rejections to fund projects for downtown are an example of the Metro Council’s and the current majority population’s inability to recognize future implications of such policy. These projects, most of which already have dedicated funds, are seeds of future private-sector-driven prosperity. The town square with an iconic stage canopy and an iconic library are investments which will be returned over and over with the private sector rushing in to capitalize on these inspiring public investments with new downtown housing and business.

After decades of slow revitalization of our downtown, we are now so close to having a place desirable to live and work. But now, after such an exciting charge toward a critical mass of public sector downtown development, we seem to be stopping short. We need to realize that stopping short of a critical mass of publicly funded projects in urban design situations could mean all of this will remain a cost rather than an investment.

I, along with so many of my generation, will leave this city because there is no place to live downtown because the private sector does not want to build downtown because attractive public investments in downtown are consistently stifled.

http://theadvocate.com/home/884725-79/letter-why-a-generation-is.html

People come and people go. I'm pretty sure when this guy leaves town that the sun will come up the next day. If you want urban living and riding a bus or a bike then go live elsewhere. No big loss in my opinion.

DDD gets global award for 'greenway' planning

The Downtown Development District's Downtown Greenway project has netted the agency the International Downtown Association Merit Award in Planning, says DDD Executive Director Davis Rhorer, who has also been elected to sit on the IDA board of directors. The Downtown Greenway, still in the planning stages, is a three-mile network of bike/pedestrian pathways downtown that will connect seven BREC parks and improve ties between downtown and surrounding areas. It is expected to cost between $2.7 million and $12 million. "Funding for planning/design for the greenway project continues to move forward and partial funding for implementation is also in place," Davis says in a statement. "Work continues on developing the 'scope of services' for a solicitation of an RFQ, and notification of additional grant request(s) for implementation funds will be announced in November." Rhorer will be attending an IDA conference this weekend in Charlotte, N.C., to accept the award and election to the board.

Businessreport.com

Edited by steve3n8

Ha...I figured you might know this person Buckett...thanks for the link! That's an awesome idea for a BR Terminal! The Acadian Village site deserves something special; too nice a location to just sit vacant! I'm diggin the high-rise too...something in the area that rivals the height of the Marriott just to the east on I-10....

That doesn't make sense. So people defending their city from someone who is unhappy with BR are in the wrong because they might go to Live After Five?

If you can't understand that sentence then I'm not explaining it again. It's a very simple concept. 'Patronizing the things they complain about'

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DDD pushes Strategic Plan forward

The Downtown Development District gave a rundown of the status of its various projects at its meeting this morning, with Executive Director Davis Rhorer recommending Option 1 for the 2012 Strategic Plan. The option involves three major projects: branding and marketing of the Arts and Entertainment District; conducting a residential market analysis for developers to aid in efficient growth; and creating a design resource center at which developers and the public can converge and have access to planning documents. The DDD Commission estimates the plan’s cost at $100,000. "The plan will be folded into the 2012 budget, and the council will vote on it in December," Rhorer says. The DDD Commission will take action on its 2012 budget next month, which totals $603,519 plus a supplement of $182,350. Rhorer also gave an update on the Galvez Plaza stage canopy, saying that a construction meeting will be held Monday and that the project will require six months of lead time. "We're cutting it real close to the Live at Five concert series," Rhorer says. "But this is an incredible thing that's getting ready to happen." An update on the apartment project at 438 Main St. was also given at the meeting, with architect Norman Chenevert saying the deal is "closing tomorrow. I've got permits in hand and hope to break ground in two weeks." He estimates the project will take 10 months.

Businessreport.com

Thanks for posting Steve :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing 438 Main Street finally built...wish it could have been 7 or 8 floors; but it still should be nice!

Wonder how this will workout....

Downtown BR likely to expand

Downtown Baton Rouge will seek to expand, taking in the industrial area around Capitol Lake and the area east of Interstate 110 and Spanish Town.

The move by the Downtown Development District Tuesday morning would grow the overlay district by 120 acres.

“That’s 120 acres, and that’s a great opportunity for us to move forward,” said Davis Rhorer, executive director of the Downtown Development District.

The move to the north and east would capture largely vacant inner-city lands which have long been eyed as in need of redevelopment opportunities.

The vote Tuesday, however, will next require approval by the city-parish, the state Legislature and a vote by the property owners.

The DDD has been considering two expansion options. The second consideration would have expanded the district south along Nicholson Drive.

http://theadvocate.com/home/1053075-125/downtown-br-likely-to-expand.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Construction starts on downtown apartments

22-unit building expected to be completed in 10 months

The developers behind a $4.7 million apartment building on Main Street downtown have purchased the property, begun construction and expect to be finished in about 10 months.

The property at 438 Main St. was purchased earlier this week from the Baton Rouge Area Foundation’s Commercial Properties Development Corp. after it tore down the former Brown building on the site.

The new owners, Norman Chenevert and Helena and Kevin Cunningham, paid $369,544 for the property and have gotten the notice to proceed on the project, Chenevert said.

“It’s going to be a ground-up, brand-new apartment building,” he said. “You’ll have a community right there in that little site.”

The 22-unit apartment building — called 438 Main Street — will be a mix of affordable and market-rate units ranging from $300 on the low end and $1,100 on the market-rate end, Helena Cunningham said.

Seventeen will be affordable housing rate, with three going as low as $300, and five will be market rate, Cunningham said.

She noted that one- and two- bedroom units will be available in each rate category and there won’t be a difference in the units themselves, regardless of which rate category they fall in.

The project, first announced last year, is unique in that it will put a large number of rental units on the market at a lower rate than some of the pricier lofts that have come on the market two and three at a time.

Davis Rhorer, executive director of the Downtown Development District, said his office has gotten calls asking about the availability of moderately priced apartments.

As happy as he’s been to see lofts and apartments at One Eleven, Kress at Third & Main and Danny McGlynn’s properties, Rhorer said “this is another price range that we think there’s a strong market for.”

Cunningham, a past director of the Louisiana Housing Finance Agency, has done affordable housing developments in New Orleans. She said $3.5 million of the project cost is federal funding through a state program formed after hurricanes Ike and Gustav.

The remaining $1.2 million is being financed through Liberty Bank.

Chenevert, who also owns Chenevert Architects and sits on the DDD’s board of commissioners, said the apartments will be an option for state and city-parish workers who want to live close to their jobs.

He said the development is also another step in growing the number of residents downtown, which is seen as crucial for attracting retail and other services.

“What those people look for is how many households are in that area. The more residential units we got, the more likely we’ll get a badly needed grocery store or drugstore,” he said.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/1128881-123/construction-starts-on-downtown-apartments.html