Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

49 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Nice story this morning on NPR in "Marketplace". It was about how Charlotte is making a name for itself among foodies.  Hopefully, we'll become known for something else besides banking and car racing.  While it's not posted on the page yet, it should be by tomorrow (Saturday). In the meantime, perhpas NPR place Marketplace more than once a day. 

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444600/marketplace

It is posted to Marketplace's website: https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace-morning-report/04262019-markets-edition

Thanks for calling it out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Charlotte back in the national spotlight. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you all why.

When will this madness end?

My brother was in the library. Campus is still not 100% open. Sadly I wish I could point this out on a less somber occasion, but the BBC, CBS, NBC, The Washington Post, and a number of other news agencies omitted the "NC" when referring to Charlotte. The CBS broadcast had "Charlotte, NC" in the top left corner, and then it refreshed without the "NC", interesting. The BBC news broadcast mentioned it in the same breath as the turmoil in Venezuela, and the Mueller investigation, they mentioned it was at the "University of North Carolina campus in Charlotte" Maybe the fact it's a "UNC" campus was a factor, but still, recognition is recognition, tragically. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I had an out-of-town friend visit Charlotte for the first time this weekend and he told me that Charlotte has the most "Unexpected" skyline of any city he has been to in the US.   Basically meaning that he couldn't believe how many skyscrapers we had and how dense it was compared to what he had imagined Charlotte to look like in his head.  

I didn't know whether or not that was a compliment or not but I'll take it.  Are there any other cities in the US that surprised you with their skylines?

I would say that these cities surprised me with their skylines:  Minneapolis (2007 at the time),  Vancouver, Washington, Arlington, VA and Buckhead (Atlanta secondary skyline).  For Buckhead, even though I’ve been to Atlanta hundreds of times, it still amazes me how dense and high those buildings are considering that it’s not downtown/midtown/center city.  I’m sure that it surprised others as well.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

Did Kansas City last weekend and I can honestly say Charlotte feels bigger because of the presence of the buildings.  But KC has that grit, jazz, food and so many early 20th century buildings that I wish Charlotte had.  Yes I know KC was one of the largest cities in the country for a while.  Of course I wore my all star game shirt and Panthers hat.  Nothing but good remarks about your city.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte named one of the top 25 US best cities however this study really seems to tilt to the largest of cities.

Is this from 2015? Cathode Azure is on it's second or third iteration post Cathode. And isn't NASCAR an acronym (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing), or have they abandoned it for Nascar?

Edited by davidclt
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, nakers2 said:

Dude, Charlotte still surprises me with it's skyline, and I'm  a rare breed native (briefly removed albeit.) I was chatting on the phone with my dad on the way home heading North or South Tryon to Plaza Midwood, and as I crossed over West Boulevard and let out an audible "sh*t" when I saw the view, especially with the colors tonight. My pops asked me "what happened?" and I just replied, "nothing, just saw this great view of they skyline, and I could sense his eyes rolling" 

With what's happening on Stonewall and S.Tryon.. and once the new tower in First ward and the Inter-Continental hotel are topped out... I'll be happy and super impressed with the skyline. Once all the current UC'S and proposed are complete. Watch out!

• Like 3

NYT article compares the share of detached single-family housing for several cities, including Charlotte:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/18/upshot/cities-across-america-question-single-family-zoning.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&mtrref=t.co

While the QC is heavily single-family, this shows plenty of room for population growth, or all the more reason to not be alarmed at so many new multi-family developments. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So yea. It’s a nice article from a former Charlotte Magazine Editor. It’s nice to see a city guide like this in WaPo. Yes I always agreed with this rule though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was on the run and didn’t want to forget to post.

next time I guess I’ll add some nonsense like  “really nice to see a write up in the Washington Post” for it to count as commentary 

• Haha 1