Gateway Tower

vdogg

that's a design of a 165 room 5 story hotel....my guess is the new building at the town center would have alot of characteristics of that building, such as the white and the blue swooshes and so on, but this is definitely going to be a tower of some sort.

aLoft features things like a car wash for travelers and other perks, i'm a little surprised this is the brand they went with (not in a bad way) That rendering is definitely cookie-cutter though, that's more for a suburban style design, not urban like this will be. I agree, it will almost surely be a tower.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess the building is going to be about 15 stories.. 5 story Hotel. 10 story apartments above the hotel...defiently another tower...Retail on ground.. Whatever happent to the Downtown Cinema Idea?.. They should mix a Grand Cinema Plex on that block as well... with IMAX screens...

My guess the building is going to be about 15 stories.. 5 story Hotel. 10 story apartments above the hotel...defiently another tower...Retail on ground.. Whatever happent to the Downtown Cinema Idea?.. They should mix a Grand Cinema Plex on that block as well... with IMAX screens...

I know it seems hard to imagine but Aloft seems like a trendy company with cooler designs... I would hope they keep that concept with this tower... I say it is hard to imagine because it could be another boring tower, or it could be a signature tower for the area with the blue accents and what looks like lighted roof... I wouldn't be surprised if the roof in the rendering that is currently blue was actually able to change colors... Anyway, just my thoughts... Either way, it should be a nice addition...

Whatever happent to the Downtown Cinema Idea?.. They should mix a Grand Cinema Plex on that block as well... with IMAX screens...

if I am not mistaken, I believe the theater idea had a falling out when Sundance Theaters (an independent theater company, I believe who was gonna move in there?) backed out. When I saw the addition to the theater to the masterplan, I thought the idea was to move the current theater there so they would have a new building with new features, then reuse the land that the theater was on for more urban development. It would make sense, but there is alot of business and politics that come into play with these things which means the smart idea doesnt always happen.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pilot move is closer to reality and the paper still stands the tower at 22 stories. Phew!

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/beach-coun...ots-beacon-site

Not to mention that construction starts in April or March. :) I'm very relieved as well because I was starting to have my doubts as to whether this project would be completed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is happening with this project?

Is it still a go or what???

Personally, I could care less because Va Beach is trying to be like Norfolk and it should just stop..

Imagine the Westin, Armada Hoffler, And Gateway Bank in Norfolk..

We might actually have a skyline to be proud of..

Are you kidding me? Lets not try to pit one city against another here please, that never ends well. Also, if you take issue with the urbanization and densification of Virginia Beach what is your solution to counter rampant sprawl and protect the greenline? You've got to offer a little more than criticism. Finally, yes the project is still a go.

I was walkin by the Westin and saw construction on its first floor under way. I checked the permit and it looks like Virginian-pilot will be on the first floor soon.

I knew they were moving to the westin, BUT NOT THE FIRST FLOOR!!!!!

I'm really upset they are taking prime retail space away to use for the Beacon!....this space should be used to open a "market" or some sort of grocery for town center!!

Oh Well

I was walkin by the Westin and saw construction on its first floor under way. I checked the permit and it looks like Virginian-pilot will be on the first floor soon.

I knew they were moving to the westin, BUT NOT THE FIRST FLOOR!!!!!

I'm really upset they are taking prime retail space away to use for the Beacon!....this space should be used to open a "market" or some sort of grocery for town center!!

Oh Well

That's the only way they could get them to move. The pilot insisted on having space that had just as much visibility as the space they were vacating. The only space that AH had that suited this requirement was the space in the Westin.

• 5 weeks later...

So this summer the lofts are starting?..and This fall..contruction is starting on the Gateway Bank Tower? wow.. two big projects going up.. 20 stories and 15 stories...amazing.. What about the city walk project?.. Did they stall out on that project?..Shoppes at town center looks blah. It does not fit in. They need a better project. Like citywalk AKA The landing...have you found out any information on that project?

• 4 weeks later...

So this summer the lofts are starting?..and This fall..contruction is starting on the Gateway Bank Tower? wow.. two big projects going up.. 20 stories and 15 stories...amazing.. What about the city walk project?.. Did they stall out on that project?..Shoppes at town center looks blah. It does not fit in. They need a better project. Like citywalk AKA The landing...have you found out any information on that project?

I think gateway is 22 stories..

• 2 months later...

Land swap complete

The paper's new Virginia Beach office, at the intersection of Independence Boulevard and Columbus Street, will open on Monday.

The city spent $5.1 million to acquire the 1.3-acre spot on Virginia Beach Boulevard and to set up and furnish the office space at the Westin.

Beach officials hope to sell the Virginia Beach Boulevard property to Town Center developer Armada Hoffler for a 20-story office tower and garage.

Sure would be nice if they could give us a little more information about the construction status of the tower.

I'm anxiously waiting as well. I'm tired of seeing two skyscrapers in the middle of suburbia! This building will dominate Va Beach Blvd and increase the urbanity of TC. CaveMan I think you will have a blast in the latter half of 09 and all of next year taking pics. Hopefully we will have 3 towers being built between Norfolk and the Beach.. ( Gateway, Westin, and Aloft)

Oh and guys I received a letter from my bank (bank of hampton roads) that they are combining with Gateway and some other small bank that I cannot remember... You think this could help Gateway Tower a little bit?

Archived