Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Wow, I spoke too soon. After seeing the new design, I am pleased. I found the first rendition visually pleasing. I do however like the elegant restraint of this building. I'm sure a full or half floor unit in this building will be well above the $4 million range. I'm sure gazing at this building and the two planned further north at 1400 Peachtree from the Atlantic will be a sight to behold. I definitely hope this will rise. I'm going to remain positive today...it's a beautiful building and will do well in that location.

I do like this design better than the original. I'm a little short of "blown away" but I think its a beautiful, top-notch building. I especially like that the ground level is much better defined.

SRSSA is really stepping up their game. Early renderings of the planned Midtown Ritz are said to be equally impressive.

By the way, they just showed the model on the local news.

Edited by Martinman

i like what i see, eventhough it has some setbacks as the height goes up it still looks a bit boxy, for my taste,

Boxy, but all-in-all a Be-A-U-tiful Building!!! :wub:

(I will still be amazed if they are able to pull it off in such a tough market, but ATL never disapoints even in the toughest of markets. Even in the duldrums of the 70"s ATL was making waves)

A2

Edited by A2

Top of building signage for Hotel Palomar was added (today?) facing south. Looks terrific !!

Hotel and signage, in fact. 300 rooms, too. Maybe someone can post current photos.

Construction workers said next week signage may be placed on the front vertical facing at West Peachtree entrance opposite Ga Tech's Academy of Medicine building.

Also, a scooter store opened at that same West Peachtree and 7th Street corner, next to the drop off Cleaners and alterations that sharen that same L shaped blue facade corner building. Check out www.gogoecomoto.com

High mileage Scooters should do pretty good business there - so close to GA Tech - especially when weather warms up a bit.

And a new high end barber shop opened on West Peachtree at 10th across from Residence Inn.

Street traffic from Palomar sure will do a lot for that whole 5th - 10th Street West Peachtree area.

i like what i see, eventhough it has some setbacks as the height goes up it still looks a bit boxy, for my taste,

Given the size in the model, it looks like it is going to be one tall bldg. It will easily jocky for skyline prominance if this rendering is even close to accurate. Any clues if this redering is to scale???

A2

If anyone has ever doubted the influence of Georgia Tech in Midtown, take a look at their web posted list of buildings - and plans - below:

http://www.irp.gatech.edu/space/facallbyname.cfm

http://www.space.gatech.edu/masterplan.htm

Does anyone know how Georgia Tech / GT Foundation plan to incorporate the national registry "Academy of Medicine" building on West Peachtree - and their 3/4 acre parking lot behind it on 7th St & Cypress Street facing ECCO?

For Classrooms, special events only, Admin offices...???

Likely Timetable ???

Tech 45-42... in Athens... in the rain... no less.

Top of building signage for Hotel Palomar was added (today?) facing south. Looks terrific !!

Hotel and signage, in fact. 300 rooms, too. Maybe someone can post current photos.

So everyone knows what you're referring to, here's a night time rendering.

palomar_vert.jpg

And a lobby rendering. More interior renderings are on the website.

palomarlobby.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Boxy, but all-in-all a Be-A-U-tiful Building!!! :wub:

(I will still be amazed if they are able to pull it off in such a tough market, but ATL never disapoints even in the toughest of markets. Even in the duldrums of the 70"s ATL was making waves)

A2

It is so cute to see you, A2, posting in Atlanta as an Atlantan. I look forward to many of your post. You are always so thoughtful. It's too bad that you are coming here on the tailend of what was some amazing building and proposals years. I just hope the current level of construction and announcements can keep you just as occupied. I'm just so happy to see you posting again I could just hug you.

To development news, The Palomar is indeed good infill. That's one less lot that we have to worry about. It also brings people to a burgeoning part of Midtown. I am not "woo'd" by it in person but it will definitely serve it's purpose. The picture of the Mandarin from Peidmont Park is something amazing. That will definitely be a sight for happy eyes if...no...when it is finished. I'm still waiting for renderings from 1400 Peachtree.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the design has been changed to only 4 homes, but now much larger (4,000+ including roof top terraces) Now front two homes (on Piedmont) will have drive under garage, and back homes will have detached 2-car garages with flex space above them. Should break ground in January. Visit our website at 975 Piedmont Priced from $650,000

Very cool townhome project going up at 10th and Piedmont - 975piedmont.com. Gotta love the underground parking!

I can't get the plans to open up on the links below. But, the development rights to TDR (Transfer of Development Rights) to the Academy of Medicine have been purchased, so it's going no where. Also, the parking lot behind the building has been "marked" for about a 12-15 story condo building, altho who know when that would be built now. Also, they granted an easement to the Academy of Medicine to still have parking in the new building, whenver it's built.

If anyone has ever doubted the influence of Georgia Tech in Midtown, take a look at their web posted list of buildings - and plans - below:

http://www.irp.gatech.edu/space/facallbyname.cfm

http://www.space.gatech.edu/masterplan.htm

Does anyone know how Georgia Tech / GT Foundation plan to incorporate the national registry "Academy of Medicine" building on West Peachtree - and their 3/4 acre parking lot behind it on 7th St & Cypress Street facing ECCO?

For Classrooms, special events only, Admin offices...???

Likely Timetable ???

Tech 45-42... in Athens... in the rain... no less.

I can't get the plans to open up on the links below. But, the development rights to TDR (Transfer of Development Rights) to the Academy of Medicine have been purchased, so it's going no where. Also, the parking lot behind the building has been "marked" for about a 12-15 story condo building, altho who know when that would be built now. Also, they granted an easement to the Academy of Medicine to still have parking in the new building, whenver it's built.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 12-15 story condo (actually townhouses) in the Academy of Medicine parking lot is old news (around 2nd qtr of this year) now scrapped as it was PRIOR to Ga Tech actually taking over the building and more recently purchasing the parking lot (closer to 3rd quarter of this year).

It's all 100% Ga Tech now.

Can anyone confirm current GT AOM status & near term plans?

FYI - Check out new website for across the street Palomar Hotel - www.hotelpalomar-atlantamidtown.com

Actually the design has been changed to only 4 homes, but now much larger (4,000+ including roof top terraces) Now front two homes (on Piedmont) will have drive under garage, and back homes will have detached 2-car garages with flex space above them. Should break ground in January. Visit our website at 975 Piedmont Priced from $650,000

Still a great project. I imagine it'll require demolition of the yellow house closest to Blake's?