Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

• 2 weeks later...

New nightclub on Spring street - www.primalatlanta.com

I believe its the former WetBar location

The "Historic Academy of Medicine at Georgia Tech" now undergoing "restoration" for April 2009 events

www.academyofmedicine.com

Cool scooters and accessories open for business now at corner of West Peachtree & 7th (next to drop off Cleaners) -www.gogoecomoto.com

Can't wait for Spring!

Anyone know more about planned parking deck and more at former Margaret Mitchell property contiguous to Midtown Marta and behind current Margaret Mitchell House on Peachtree St ?

Update on Mandarin Oriental - 1/1/09

http

://www.realestatechannel.com/us-market...dences-289.php

Update on Academy of Medicine:

- Ga Tech announcement of "restoration" and "proudly owned" control of the "Academy of Medicine at Georgia Tech" as posted on the AOM home page below:

http://academyofmedicine.com

Always looking for more good Midtown/West Peachtree news.

Excellent, excellent news about the Mandarin Oriental. This building will definitely be a jewel on the Atlanta (Midtown) skyline. I am not surprised at how well the residences are selling. If they get to the 30 desired units and sell a few more, financing should be a breeze. I'm sure the Mandarin is going to throw in a few dollars to offset the construction cost. Since this building will not be delivered for at least a few years, hopefully the economy will be in a much different position.

Again, I am most pleased about this news. There was a wonderful article in the paper about the amazinf net absorption rates of many of Atlanta's submarkets. Even in this most challenging of economies, there are still many companies expanding in the Atlanta market.

• 2 weeks later...

http

://www.realestatechannel.com/us-market...dences-289.php....

At what stage of construction, if any, is the Mandarin? I would have guessed that any hotel/condo project that's not already rising from the ground would not get financing (e.g., Chicago's Mandarin, Chicago's Spire, etc.).

At what stage of construction, if any, is the Mandarin? I would have guessed that any hotel/condo project that's not already rising from the ground would not get financing (e.g., Chicago's Mandarin, Chicago's Spire, etc.).

It's in it's planning stages. Pre-sales of the condos have started and according to the developer, 20 have sold already. There are to be 71 so I'm sure there will need to be more before financing will flow. Mandarin, has in the past, kicked in some money on projects in which they were involed. I'm sure with the global economy in an uproar, this may not be feasible in the Atlanta project.

It's in it's planning stages. Pre-sales of the condos have started and according to the developer, 20 have sold already. There are to be 71 so I'm sure there will need to be more before financing will flow. Mandarin, has in the past, kicked in some money on projects in which they were involed. I'm sure with the global economy in an uproar, this may not be feasible in the Atlanta project.

Thanks. It's a poor design. Manadrin and Atlanta deserve better, so I hope that it's not built and that a better incarnation comes along in a few years.

I have to admit - I would prefer a plain jane brick building with few architectural details to the majority of the EIF post-post-modern mid-rise junk that tends to get built in Midtown. Most of the high rises built in Atlanta in the past decade are quite nice in my opinion, but the apartment mid-rises tend to be simply dreadful. Again - what's wrong with simple brick buildings like they were built in the old days? Save money on an architect & use that money to buy bricks & brick layers! ;)

Sounds like Neo-Classical "Columbus, Ga" like buildings... yea, you can never go wrong with designs like those. Those are what the South are known for. Neo-Classical architecture. That would give Atlanta a much more 1800's historic flair.

http

://www.realestatechannel.com/us-market...dences-289.php

Update on Academy of Medicine:

- Ga Tech announcement of "restoration" and "proudly owned" control of the "Academy of Medicine at Georgia Tech" as posted on the AOM home page below:

http://academyofmedicine.com

Always looking for more good Midtown/West Peachtree news.

The design of the Mandarin Oriental is absolutely breathtaking! Oh gosh that is so beautiful... I would love to just live in it's vicinity. Seems like that whole area will be even more vibrant in appearance with that as an addition...

The design of the Mandarin Oriental is absolutely breathtaking! Oh gosh that is so beautiful... I would love to just live in it's vicinity. Seems like that whole area will be even more vibrant in appearance with that as an addition...

Good point about a whole area becoming more vibrant as a result of the right addition. Hopefully Palomar will do that for West Peachtree around Ga Tech & 5th and 10th street.

It sure should help the former Acapulco Grille & Cantina location that had been planned for a national coffee house before economy went sour. ( www.WestPeachtree.com is the site for that building ) .

Word has it Palomar officially opens May 13. Can anyone kindly comment on that - and/or if the 10th and Williams dual hotel brands are expected to break ground any time soon?

I also happen to think that the proposed Mandarin Oriental is a wonderful design. It's clean and proportinate. It makes a statement without being forceful. I think it will be a marvelous addition to the Midtown Mile. I noticed that the Atlanta location is now included on the Mandarin's website. I think the height, the product and the exclusivity will sell the product. Even in this trying economic times, there are still some people who are buying...they are just very prudent in the purchases. Value and location trumps everything.

The website:

The Mandarin Oriental

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Midtown updates:

The Woodruff Arts center has adopted a new master plan that will put a new symphony hall on the current campus at the corner of 15th and Peachtree. The new concert hall would sit atop Callaway Plaza, now used for drop-offs and parking at the southern edge of the arts center. The plan requires demolishing some of the center, which houses the current Symphony Hall, the Alliance Theatre and other facilities. It has not been determined who will design the new symphony hall but Santiago Calatrava has said he is open to change. article

New retail -

• Healthy fast food joint EVOS and high-end Italian kitchen manufacturer SCIC are coming to Viewpoint.
  • A boutique called Uomo recently opened at 800 Peachtree.
  • Pacci Ristorante, a Piemontese-style steakhouse, will open at the Hotel Palomar.
  • The former chef of Taurus in Buckhead will open a new restaurant at the Georgian Terrace called Livingston.
  • The Nook on Piedmont Park will open this month in the old Princes of Wales space on Piedmont Ave.

Here's an image of the 12th & Midtown master plan. It looks like the planned grocery store would go on the corner of 12th and Crescent in Block D.

12thMidtown.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a milestone at the 14th St. bridge, Friday night the final new beams were placed for the northbound span. Unfortunately, we're still about a year away from the project completion.

Webcam

Does anyone have a set of detailed plans for the new layout of the Connector? I've been studying the webcam and photos I've taken and can't seem to understand where traffic will be distributed. In the photo below, what's the deal with the middle carriageway? Will it be for the HOV lanes? :blink:

14thStreetBridge-AtlantaGA-20090401.jpg

It also looks as if construction crews will be tearing down the retaining wall on the east side of the project. With the new section they opened on 9/2/08, this will almost double the size of the road. Or will the extreme left and right sides of the Connector in the photo above be for a C/D system (think GA 316 interchange in Gwinnett)?

Does anyone have a set of detailed plans for the new layout of the Connector? I've been studying the webcam and photos I've taken and can't seem to understand where traffic will be distributed. In the photo below, what's the deal with the middle carriageway? Will it be for the HOV lanes? :blink:

It also looks as if construction crews will be tearing down the retaining wall on the east side of the project. With the new section they opened on 9/2/08, this will almost double the size of the road. Or will the extreme left and right sides of the Connector in the photo above be for a C/D system (think GA 316 interchange in Gwinnett)?

Actually, in the plan linked below, the middle section has not been specified yet; the opportunity just taken to reserve it for future advantage, apparently. There is a study/planning underway for a 15th St. Bridge just north of this project that would feature only HOV ramps for both north and south which could play into that. Part of the Connector widening underneath was to provide additional exit lanes on the outside - SB, for a new 10th St. exit and NB for a new 17th St. ramp.

This preliminary project plan (pdf) is from the Midtown Alliance website.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the plans for the repositioning of the Campanile building at 14th and Peachtree which will add about 50,000 sf of retail. The owners had previously announced construction would start this spring. Considering the economy, I would be a little shocked if they proceeded as scheduled but several trees around the building have recently been marked for removal.

Site Plan

CampanilePlaza.jpg

Camppeach.jpg

Camp14th.jpg

The second level of 13th street is where the Equinox is supposed to go.

Camp13th.jpg

Campaerial.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Here are the plans for the repositioning of the Campanile building at 14th and Peachtree which will add about 50,000 sf of retail. The owners had previously announced construction would start this spring. Considering the economy, I would be a little shocked if they proceeded as scheduled but several trees around the building have recently been marked for removal.

Campaerial.jpg

I know the Alliance and the Midtown Mile concept is all about adding street-level retail, but this doesn't work for me. I'll admit to a little emotional or nostalgic bias, as the Campanile was the first place I worked when I came to Atlanta, but honestly, as is particularly obvious in the photoshopped image I left in the quote, the addition just looks so glommed on - so clearly an afterthought. I don't think the Mile concept is meant to say every building has street retail; some existing buildings might be best left alone.