Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Some exciting restaurant news for Midtown - the AJC reported that 4 eateries will be going on the Crescent Avenue frontage of 1010 Midtown. There's going to be a sushi place, an Irish pub, a sandwich shop, and an Italian eatery. The urbanization continues...http://www.ajc.com/business/content/printe...17/midtown.html

^^Its perfect that they're going on Crescent frontage which will add to the vibe over there.

In news from the Business Chronicle Alston & Bird has started its search for office space. They currently lease 436,000 SF in One Atlantic and Atlantic Center Plaza which expires in 2013. Obviously, 436,000 SF is enough to get any of the planned office projects in the city out of the ground. Its possible that they could remain at OAC but I think this kind of firm tends to go for the latest and greatest.

Crescent Ave (where I live :P ) is already a neat mix of restaurants, apartments, and clubs. These new restaurants, along with the phase that will eventually be built across the street, are going to make it even more of a Midtown destination. Some things I've noticed in the past few days...

A) The house next to South City Kitchen on Crescent is being worked on; there is a notice of issuance of building permit in the window - one to watch...

B) There was some drilling on the Mandarin Oriental site, soil samples?

C) Aqua is going to be home to some barber. Finally a tenant!

Edited by eastatlanta119

Here's a rendering of the Irish Pub. The four restaurants brings the Crescent frontage to fully leased and they say they're is still a lot of interest in the Peachtree frontage space.

ri-ra-atlanta_1010midtown-440x287.jpg

Add those new four to the existing (Vickery's Front Page News, South City Kitchen) and Crescent is becoming quite the restaurant row. It could usurp Juniper for the title in Midtown.

In much anticipated news, there is word that Selig plans to reveal some more retail tenants for 1010 at a party this Thursday. If this information is accurate, I'm amazed at how close to the vest they've been able to keep it. Until now many have wondered if they even had anything signed. We'll soon find out.

According to someone that attended the Selig event last night, no new information was revealed. There were a couple of presentations on 12th & Midtown's four phases and the vision for a Peachtree shopping district. Perhaps it was an event designed to attract residents or retail tenants or both.

In conversations with others this person did learn of interest from retailers such as Apple (which we all knew) and Saks but the uncertain economy has retailers being very cautious at the moment. Also Equinox, a high-end athletic club in NYC is looking to open a location at either 12th & Midtown or Campanile.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

According to someone that attended the Selig event last night, no new information was revealed. There were a couple of presentations on 12th & Midtown's four phases and the vision for a Peachtree shopping district. Perhaps it was an event designed to attract residents or retail tenants or both.

In conversations with others this person did learn of interest from retailers such as Apple (which we all knew) and Saks but the uncertain economy has retailers being very cautious at the moment. Also Equinox, a high-end athletic club in NYC is looking to open a location at either 12th & Midtown or Campanile.

With all the Midtown Mile PR, seems Hotel Palomar at 866 West Peachtree Street and proposed Centergy International 11 story new building on Spring Street around 6th are quite overlooked.

And now with Georgia Tech taking over West Peachtree & 7th Academy of Medicine building and their about an acre parking lot facing ECCO restaurant, seems this is a pretty hot 1-3 block area.

Anyone know more of the inside skinny on any of these such as GT takeover date/preliminary plans, Centergy construction date, Palomar retail?

Thanks.

that was me - see my blog post on atlantaskyriseblog.com

• 4 weeks later...

Per the ABC, InterContinental will open a hotel as part of the 1400 Peachtree project in Midtown.

The tower's architect will be Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, and the developers say they want an architectural gem.

Developers are still deciding if the project will be 1 or 2 towers. The bad news, construction won't likely begin until 2009.

Per the ABC, InterContinental will open a hotel as part of the 1400 Peachtree project in Midtown.

The tower's architect will be Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, and the developers say they want an architectural gem.

Developers are still deciding if the project will be 1 or 2 towers. The bad news, construction won't likely begin until 2009.

I hope it sets the bar for new buildings. It would be nice if it was a "new tallest" for Midtown if they decide to go with one building.

That's very good news. The rumors had been that Intercontinental was looking in the Midtown market for a while now. The views from the Atlantic are going to be even more spectacular now. I would be okay with 2 towers but we all know that one tower would be pretty big. If they do one big tower, that could help increase marketing without expanding the budget. Mixed-Use developments are really catching on.

On another note...atlrvr I think the article said they were not going to break ground until 2010. Although we in the Atlanta market have become spoiled with what seemed to be endless announcements followed by quick ground breakings, I think we can stand to wait till 2010 for a masterpiece building. The article did say that a render should be shown in 90 days. It will probably be closer to 120 before it's revealed. 2010 is only 1.5 years away afterall.....it will pass right before our eyes and then we will see this building rising.

WOW!

From the beginning these developers announced their intentions of creating an architectural significant project. Now that they've hired SOM, I can hardly wait for more info on this.

I agree Martinman. SOM has an interesting portfolio. I like the simplicity of their designs. I also feel that if done properly, this part of town could...no will...become a tour de force of design work. Chipperfield's design, The proposed symphony hall (let's cross our fingers that it is moved to this area), the High Museum of Art and Piano's addition now SOM. I can hardly contain myself. Well I can but I am glad to see that more development coming to the area. With the MedLife Midtown development and Trump, the variety of building designs will make for wonderful picture taking.

I think that it's of interest to note that the developers of this development have very deep pockets. This might be one of those developments that hit the ground and don't stop till it's completed. I just hope they stack the uses in one building. The architects have two very interesting designs in their portfolio that could be tweaked and used here.

Yeah Jamestown tends to do BIG projects and I'm glad that they chose to invest those euros locally.

On SOM, here's a design of theirs that I love which was done for San Francisco's Transbay competition.

There was a report in the Business Chronicle a fews months back that Alston & Bird was starting to access its future office needs when their lease expires in 2013. Should they decide to leave Atlantic Center, 1400 Peachtree could well be their destination and the timing of a 2010 construction start works out about right. Of course 12th & Midtown and others will make their pitch as well.

Speaking of others, there have been rumors reguarding the Ritz which is said to be coming to Midtown. The Ritz has been linked with what was once Twelve Midtown and with Dewberry's site at 10th and Peachtree. Both proposed projects have an office component as well.

I hope it sets the bar for new buildings. It would be nice if it was a "new tallest" for Midtown if they decide to go with one building.

I'm not sure I would want a tower that tall, that far north. On the other hand, the IBM tower was once all by itself and as Lady Celeste mentioned, there are already several potential towers nearby. I guess I just never imagined that we'd have a skyline all the way up to 17th street.

There have been occasional rumors of a new tallest in the works that always involve a luxury hotel. Maybe someone is planning a pretty tall building with a hotel component.

Edited by Martinman

I think we've discovered the source of the new tallest rumors. Dewberry is apparently proposing a tower of up to 1.5 million square feet and 63 floors.

Here's the property description:

Now pre-leasing up to 1,500,000 s.f. Premium site capable of tallest building in South. Best location in Atlanta at 10th & Peachtree. Flexible pre-construction design. Mixed-use development including luxury hotel, high-end residential, and street-level upscale retail.
Edited by Martinman

A couple of tidbits on possible future luxury hotels in Midtown...

According to those with knowledge of the local hotel industry, the Ritz will be a part of the 14th & West Peachtree project.

There was also a line in the luxury magazine The Atlantan that said a Le Meridian hotel would be the hotel in Dewberry's Midtown Square project.

Edited by Martinman

Yeah Jamestown tends to do BIG projects and I'm glad that they chose to invest those euros locally.

On SOM, here's a design of theirs that I love which was done for San Francisco's Transbay competition.

transbay1.jpg

Oh my heavens...this building would be gorgeous at the 17th street location. Even if it's not quite as tall....which it very well could be, I would love to see such daring design mixed into the Midtown architectural landscape. I'm a firm believer that all tall buildings do NOT need to be clumped together. Buildings like the one Martinman reference are works of art and should be admire up close and from afar. There will be many 25 story buildings built in the surroundings in the near future. The curve of the Trump Towers, the upright stately character of One Atlantic Center and the Four Seasons, the beautiful color of the Promenade, the beautiful yet simple design of 1180 Peachtree, the steady design of the Metropolitan Center and the yet seen Ritz Carlton Midtown and the Mandarin Oriental...Midtown will be a feast for the architectural eye.

If John Wieland can get his One Museum Place off the ground, the stretch of Peachtree from 10th St through "Uptown" will be quite appealing.

We in Atlanta should be thankful that we have to yet been relegated to discussing lifestyle centers and new grocery stores. I'm surprised that we don't have more interest in the developments taking place right in the city. In such a downturned economy and for a city it's size not near a body of water, the level of development here exceeds logic....but I'm not going to complain. These developments have tilted me towards purchasing at the Atlantic instead of the "Upper Westside" (the Peachtree spine between Midtown and Buckhead.) The easterly view there will be amazing...especially at night.

The Atlantic will have awesome views of all three districts. Even from the ground you can see a bit of Buckhead from Atlantic Station. Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten used to 3344 looming off in the distance. Whenever it catches my eye from different viewpoints I always think 'What is that huge building doing there?' .

Edited by Martinman

=============================

San Francisco design certainly is super stunning - WOW !

Below is the March 2008 AJC story about the tower.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...tower_0306.html

Is it just me or would the Jamestown property on West Peachtree and Spring and 10th street (Checkers/Old TBS building across from Price Waterhouse), with that super high elevation and proximity to their 999 Peachtree, new parking/development Margaret Mitchell property, and Midtown marta be an even better location for what would be the city's tallest, most dramatic, and perhaps, iconic signature tower?

I agree but at this point their other land holdings are more high profile being on or closer to Peachtree. The Palomer which is topped out and coming along quickly will add to the growing urbanity on West Peachtree.

A little retail news...

-There appears to be some work going on at one of the retail slots at Viewpoint but thus far no word on what it might be for.

-Runway Atlanta boutique has relocated from a stirp center in Buckhead to the former French Kiss spot.

-Also there is supposed to be some kind of clothing store going into 805 Peachtree between Space and Ligne Roset.

Edited by Martinman

I agree but at this point their other land holdings are more high profile being on or closer to Peachtree. The Palomer which is topped out and coming along quickly will add to the growing urbanity on West Peachtree.

A little retail news...

-There appears to be some work going on at one of the retail slots at Viewpoint but thus far no word on what it might be for.

-Runway Atlanta boutique has relocated from a stirp center in Buckhead to the former French Kiss spot.

-Also there is supposed to be some kind of clothing store going into 805 Peachtree between Space and Ligne Roset.

==========

West Peachtree & Spring at 10th has 2.3 acres, its right off 10th street ramp and a West Peachtree at 10th address is just a stone's throw from 10th & Peachtree, etc etc.

Any word on what will happen with this high elevation West Peachtree large parcel?

http://www.shailendragroup.com/1010westpeachtree.asp