Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Well said, m'Lady.

Still stand by my previous comment. I would rather wait and have a great building than a city filled with mediocre designs. Atlanta has "settled" far too often. It is a great city and deserves better on this location that will be seen by millions of people for many decades to come...

I appreciate your timely response. I also feel that Atlanta is a great city. It has been my home these many years, lol. I am with you when you challenge architects/developers/builders to show even more guts when it comes to the design of the urban fabric. I am all for great design. Atlanta may have settled in some instances for less than flattering building design but it is in no way alone in this category. There are many examples of great design in the city. I can probably list a greater list of buildings that are of good design than I can list those of mediocre design...although those do exist.

One Ninety One Peachtree

One Atlantic Center

1180 Peachtree

Suntrust Plaza

3344 Peachtree

The Mansion on Peachtree....although the crown is a bit of a let down.

Westin Peachtree Plaza

Equitable Building

Terminus

Bank of Amercia Plaza

The High Museum of Art

Renzo Piano's addition to the High Museum of Art

The Promenade

These are off the top of my head. There are probably smaller examples of great design that are not seen by the passerby on the Downtown Connector. I am with you in challenging architects....some midrange hotel is not going to be where you get your most striking design. At the end of the day the financials must make sense. One can spend many many millions of dollars on design alone. Economically that is not going to be recupirated at this price point. What will happen is that more people will be in the city, making it more desirable. As this happens, land prices will increase thereby making more earth shattering design or at least taller a necessity. While I love great design, I would hate to have fabulous buildings and no people in the city to actually bring them to life.

My comment, not that you were neccessarily speaking to me, wasn't so much a grumbling that the design wasn't ground breaking as it was a concern that they won't be using quality materials. There is no reason to expect, or even desire, every new building to win architectural accolades. If they did, it would lessen the impact of the few stellar buildings. What I am asking for is good contextual "background" design. This is achieved by conservative design, and quality building materials (glass, stone, brick, or even pre-cast). Yes, quality materials cost more, but savings can be achieved by not having 3 different (awkward) parapets along the roofline.

In short, what I'm saying, is Atlanta is now big enough, and has enough development momentum, that we shouldn't celebrate every building just for the sake of it being a better/higher use. Now is the time to tighten standards, and ensure as the remaining under-utilized parcels are built out, that what is built is something that will leave a lasting positive contribution. Trust me, developers are an ingenius bunch, and if you raise the standards, they will raise the quality of their product, no matter how much they act like they are being forced to go elsewhere.

I have to admit - I would prefer a plain jane brick building with few architectural details to the majority of the EIF post-post-modern mid-rise junk that tends to get built in Midtown. Most of the high rises built in Atlanta in the past decade are quite nice in my opinion, but the apartment mid-rises tend to be simply dreadful. Again - what's wrong with simple brick buildings like they were built in the old days? Save money on an architect & use that money to buy bricks & brick layers! ;)

I have to admit - I would prefer a plain jane brick building with few architectural details to the majority of the EIF post-post-modern mid-rise junk that tends to get built in Midtown. Most of the high rises built in Atlanta in the past decade are quite nice in my opinion, but the apartment mid-rises tend to be simply dreadful. Again - what's wrong with simple brick buildings like they were built in the old days? Save money on an architect & use that money to buy bricks & brick layers! ;)

Preach Brother, Preach !!!

I second that motion teshadoh!

A2

Well I for one would never disagree with this statement or any statement where one is championing good design. After all, these may be buildings that I will be viewing for a long time to come.

The 7th street at Peachtree - (is that Hines property across the street from Starbucks?) - or at 6th and Peachtree parking lot across from CVS, those two parcels seem to be very well placed and generally under the radar as you hear/read about superb development locations.

7th street with Viewpoint, Spire, ECCO, Palomar and GA Tech taking over Academy of Medicine could be particularly interesting over the next few years.

Anyone hear about: 1) preliminary Tech plans for Academy of Medicine or 2) either the 7th & Ptree

or 3) 6th at Peachtree parcels?

+++++++++++

A bit of excitement around The Biltmore today and for a while longer. ABC Family network is producing a movie for 2009 airing. The vans marked "Courtney" and "Jennifer" are said to be movie characters not the TV stars one might think. Nonetheless, Midtown going a bit Hollywood is not a bad thing.

West Peachtree & 7th Street Hotel Palomar sure is looking good !!!

Well I for one would never disagree with this statement or any statement where one is championing good design. After all, these may be buildings that I will be viewing for a long time to come.

I'm not sure I'm even promoting 'better design' but more of an anti-design stance in regards to architecture. Or how about I'm a architectual deconstructionist? Nonetheless, the remnants of post-modernism has to be absolutely destroyed! Rather than paying a pretentious architect firm that designs using a cookie cutter based on over-used patterns, just build a big block & brick it & add big windows. That's all.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

This will be a great development for that corner. For one, it's right off the interstate exit for 10th Street. It is also pushed up to the interstate, only seperated by Williams St annnnnnnnnnnnd, it bridges the walk over the interstate from Georgia Tech to Midtown. This is a great development. I am also glad that it is adding more people to the Midtown area. Something that is in great need. YAY!!!!!! Any development in this climate is a good thing.

Anyway here is a picture for this site.

hiltonhh6.jpg

Not earth shattering in design but it brings people in the mix and it looks as if it has space for street level retail. Maybe one day the GDOT can give the 10th Street bridge the same treatment as it did the 5th Street bridge.

SPEAKING OF NEW MIDTOWN RETAIL / WEST PEACHTREE & 7th COOL RETAIL.... A Scooter Store

Eco Moto (planet friendly) will be opening it's doors next week at the corner building - 887 West Peachtree Street. That's the North East Corner of 7th and West Peachtree across from Academy of Medicine building on 7th and across from new Hotel Palomar at West Peachtree. Just a short walk ( or Scooter jaunt) from GA Tech at 5th & West Peachtree.

To announce the arrival, Silk Restaurant (at 8th and Peachtree) is hosting a reception on Thursday, November 13th. They will be giving away a free scooter. Cool logo, too.

If you're lucky, you'll be driving home on a new scooter. If you don't win the scooter, the new owner, Mike Sherry - a very nice guy - tells us he can offer a great deal. Imagine 70 miles per gallon !

Event open to the public.

Visit website for more info www.GoGoEcoMoto.com

^^ Thats cool. The scooter store on Monroe has been doing booming business.

Sticking with retail...

A men's clothing store called Select has opened at 805 Peachtree.

Across the street, Pedini Atlanta has relocated to the Peachtree street space.

Jimmy John's will open a store at Metropolis.

An eyewear store called Optical Shop is going into Spire.

On the downside, Universal Gear is closing. I had also heard that they were moving to a new location but but that doesn't appear to be the case.

FYI - A reminder that Epsiode Two of the show, "The Art of Restoration" is on WPBA this Saturday, Nov 1 at 6:30. This week's show is all about the process and authorities when restoring a historic site in Atlanta.

For the rest of the month the shows will air Saturday evenings at 6:30 on WPBA30. (That's our local PBS.)

If you like what you see, think about letting WPBA know at:

http://www.pba.org/about/pba/contact/

Just select PBA30 programming

I think its a great program providing valuable and inspirational insight. Kudos to all involved in every aspect!!

<ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_scared.gif' alt=':scared:'> UPDATE - ITS ON CHANNEL 16 ON COMCAST - TONIGHT !!!

^^ Thats cool. The scooter store on Monroe has been doing booming business.

Sticking with retail...

A men's clothing store called Select has opened at 805 Peachtree.

Across the street, Pedini Atlanta has relocated to the Peachtree street space.

Jimmy John's will open a store at Metropolis.

An eyewear store called Optical Shop is going into Spire.

On the downside, Universal Gear is closing. I had also heard that they were moving to a new location but but that doesn't appear to be the case.

A posting on the skyscraper bulletin board shared news that Midtown Alliance has NEW development related postings on their site. Very exciting stuff to come!!! Note all the many 2010 construction start dates.

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Documents/U...ments_10_08.pdf

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Documents/EX_SUM.pdf

That's a nice summary of Blueprint Midtown. One part of it that immediately stood out to me was "Building facade materials must be brick, stone, stained concrete, real stucco, or glass and metal". I wonder if thats actually in the zoning codes.

I didn't really see any new projects in the development tour but there are some small projects that probably have not been mentioned here. I believe they were all already on the development tour last year. There is a new rendering for that Centergy proposal which is now called International Center @ Centergy.

International Center @ Centergy

internationalcenterdp9.jpg

975 Piedmont

975_Piedmont_Elevation_Post.jpg

Ansley Green

1_Home.jpg

Edited by Martinman

That's a nice summary of Blueprint Midtown. One part of it that immediately stood out to me was "Building facade materials must be brick, stone, stained concrete, real stucco, or glass and metal". I wonder if thats actually in the zoning codes.

I didn't really see any new projects in the development tour but there are some small projects that probably have not been mentioned here. I believe they were all already on the development tour last year. There is a new rendering for that Centergy proposal which is now called International Center @ Centergy.

International Center @ Centergy

internationalcenterdp9.jpg

975 Piedmont

975_Piedmont_Elevation_Post.jpg

Ansley Green

1_Home.jpg

Anyone have an idea what this is going to be?

Sounds like super big Midtown news to be revealed next week !!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...32&page=435

C'mon, let's hear ideas, people...

Blogger R Emerson elsewhere posted this spectacular piece below - WOW !!

Could this be the reported Midtown Mile news - albeit a few stones' throw away from MM????

===========

City By Design...

While out and about today, I stopped in Outwrite in Midtown and found a new book on Atlanta. It's called City By Design - an architectural perspective of atlanta. While it contains numerous buildings many of which are not highrises such as a McDonald's near Perimeter Mall to the World of Coke and others, it also covers some of the new planned projects for Atlanta. The reason I mention this is because there are several pages devoted to a Midtown project for 14th Street. Someone had posted some time back a couple of shots of a proposed and unique highrise for 14th and Spring Street. According to the book it is by [FVS Architects, Inc and is being called Sky Garden.

According to the book "it's more than a hotel, more than a condo tower, more than a shopping destination, Sky Garden is a landmark that is greater than the sum of its parts. Located on a commanding corner site at the interesction of 14th Street and Spring Street, Sky Garden offers the perfect place for midtown Atlanta to carve its signature on the skyline."

It goes on to say that "Conceived as a live-in, living sculpture, Sky Garden is a work of art displayed on a pedestal. Taking advantage of its own 360 degree sweeping views, the asymmetrical, mixed-use tower offers a different facade for each cardinal point."

"The stepping forms of the tower, recalling at once cascades of shimmering waterfalls and a series of soaring cliffs, provide visual interest and break down the mass of the structure, as they bring it closer to a pedestrian scale. At the heart of the tower lies the buildings namesake, a multi-story covered space carved out of the structure and open diametrically opposed sides of the circular tower."

"Signature boutiques, first-class restaurants, a distinguished entrance foyer to the condominiums, and a dramatic atrium hotel lobby are all located at street level, taking full advantage of the sloped site. This lively aggregate of functions and spaces constitutes the base for the hotel, condominium tower, an elegant structure soaring 50 stories into the sky."

I guess when I saw the post some time ago, I didn't realize that this was actually the design for that corner and not just a concept rendering. With the numerous renderings at different angles etc, if this makes it out of the ground once the market returns, I believe this will make a dramatic landmark building for Atlanta. Also included was the Aquarius Tower and the under construction Buckhead Place Apartments. Let's hope this and others will still be built in Atlanta some day.

----

As later added, you can check out the rendering on the website http://www.pfvsarch.com/ under the mixed-use as the 14th street tower.

And thanks to Martinman, as well.

Can anyone shed further light on this project?

Martinman??

The Mandarin is finally "official". Or at least it will be on thursday according to the Businsess Chronicle. Until now, Mandarin had maintained that they had not signed a deal with anyone for an Atlanta hotel. The article reports that the design has changed and even if they have financing, it would likely not be finished until early 2011.

Several highly placed sources within the Atlanta hotel industry have confirmed Atlanta-based Tivoli Properties Inc. plans to build a $200 million to $250 million ultra-luxury high-rise hotel and residences under the Mandarin Oriental flag.

Tivoli has scheduled a press conference at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce. An invitation to the press conference said the announcement would detail a major 53-story hotel development.

Tivoli and Mandarin Oriental also will showcase their development during the Nov. 15 opening ceremonies of The First Emperor: China's Terracotta Army, at the High Museum of Art, sources said. Mandarin Oriental is based in Hong Kong, and several Chinese dignitaries will be in attendance for the event.

Mandarin Oriental hotel officially coming to Midtown

Edited by Martinman

The AJC article on the Mandarin reports that they already have 19 reservations for the condos and they would need about half of the 71 condos to be under contract before starting construction. Assuming that happens and they can get financing :unsure: , it would take 30 months to build and open in late 2011.

Planning proceeds on $285M hotel/condo in Midtown

Wow, so we get the beautiful design and a ultra luxurious hotel all in one. I am sooooo glad it will come to fruition. This is making the decision harder for my husband and I as to where we will ultimately purchase a condo...although the Mandarin....as nice as I'm sure it will be...is not one of the choices. :P