Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

Yesterday, I heard a curious explanation why there are no Trader Joes (Joeses?) in Providence. At a neighborhood meeting, someone said that Mr. Joe had a fight with his girlfriend in Providence; thus he doesn't want to locate a store here.

ai-joe.jpg

*Mr. Trader Joe*

???

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Shaw's is going to become an ALDI grocery store. Just a prediction based on the company's plans to expand into RI. I'd much rather have a Trader Joe's since (for me) it would complement PriceRite down the street on food shopping day, but we'll see what happens.

I don't think the building is big enough to accommodate a Target or anything "Supersize" like that.

wow... i googled this company and it's kind of an interesting idea. i'm not sure i like all their cost saving measures though. they have a cart deposit where you pay $0.25 to use a cart and get it back when you return it (so it doesn't get left in the parking lot). they charge for bags to encourage people to bring their own. they don't take checks or credit cards. and they don't carry many (if any) name brands.

their website.

wow... i googled this company and it's kind of an interesting idea. i'm not sure i like all their cost saving measures though. they have a cart deposit where you pay $0.25 to use a cart and get it back when you return it (so it doesn't get left in the parking lot). they charge for bags to encourage people to bring their own. they don't take checks or credit cards. and they don't carry many (if any) name brands.

their website.

their website.

Here's a thread about Aldi, including some first-hand experience.

I dunno, folks. This doesn't sound like any great addition to the Providence scene. Personally, I have no reason to shop someplace with little fresh produce.

Also, the description on the Aldi website sounds like they are generally much smaller operations than the (former) Shaws.

Interesting that (according to citybuilder), Aldi is popular with immigrant workers. It doesn't sound like they would carry many international foods. Some of the folks who criticized the old Shaw's said it didn't work because there weren't enough Latin American products (which I thought was a totally bunk claim, since they had a frankly enormous selection of tons of products targeting Latinos.)

Any grocery store that only takes cash will never make it here. People with means use credit/debit to track their spending and people without means use the state issued debit cards for WIC/Foodstamps.

The city should not put any time and energy into courting a store that only people with cash in their pockets can use.

Any grocery store that only takes cash will never make it here. People with means use credit/debit to track their spending and people without means use the state issued debit cards for WIC/Foodstamps.

The city should not put any time and energy into courting a store that only people with cash in their pockets can use.

Archived