Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a Shaw's anecdote:

I was at Colt Park in Bristol yesterday, and stopped at the Shaw's in Barrington on the way back - the "international foods" section was horrendous compared to the Eagle Sq Shaws, but there was a much larger Wild Harvest section. Beyond that, the place was empty for a Sunday, there were 40,000 high school kids working and practically every register was open, and the meat, seafood, and produce section were ridiculously better than the PVD Shaws.

I'm just guessing, but i would be surprised if that Shaw's was much more profitable than the PVD one's, but probably much easier to run (no security detail, for example). Still, it was kindof shocking to see the disparity between the urban stores and the suburban, wealthier area stores.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That Branch Ave Stop and Shop has become a frequent destination for me, both because of its hours and its close location to my office. They are pretty solid on mainstream, non-Whole Foodsy items and they have a lot of kosher Jewish-themed foods, appealing to the nearby Summit Orthodox community.

Going late hours there is almost a must, though, as they might have the slowest daytime cashiers and baggers I've ever seen. I used to pop in for lunch (pre-West River Cafe) to pick up a wrap and their noontime lines for checkout are unreal, and of course the express lane cashier is the absolute slowest in the store...

As way more of a night-owl than a morning person and being in a job that often has some extreme hours, I love the 24 hr Stop and Shops, CVS's, Walgreens, et al... It's amazingly efficient for me and I'm always surprised by how many shoppers there are at odd hours. Especially as an East Side resident where everything seems to close at 4:30, the convenience is tremendous.

That's the good part. The bad part is that at those hours the workers are stocking shelves so they block the aisles with boxes and pallets. Also, every single one of them has their own boom box and they blast it. You have to listen to all types of music at once. I think they take requests. :rolleyes: Also you usually have to go hunt down the cashier who's busy replacing items that customers decided they didn't want when they got to the register. They should have little bells like they have at the 24hr CVS & Rite Aid.

Ocean State Job Lot has a neat-o little grocery section. Lots of unusual non-perishables at minimal cost. Jams and mustards and cereals and microwave curries and miscellaneous tortilla chips.

Also, the C-Town in Pawtucket is a great supermarket for international foods. I love it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived