Grocery stores in Greater Providence

reverand

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, once you live in the area for a while and go there consistently you will see it is not all that great. I used to go there when i first moved here too, and I still go occasionaly. But that Shaws has really gone downhill. It is not all that old, but it looks old in there. Dirty, messy and just not maintained.

I am not scared of it at all though.

oh, then you should see the one in NP. not only is it smaller, they have a smaller selection of products, the produce isn't as good, and they do a terrible job at re-stocking. i've never had these issues in the eagle square one.

where do you go shopping if not there?

Well, once you live in the area for a while and go there consistently you will see it is not all that great. I used to go there when i first moved here too, and I still go occasionaly. But that Shaws has really gone downhill. It is not all that old, but it looks old in there. Dirty, messy and just not maintained.

I am not scared of it at all though.

Hmm. I popped in there for the first time 2 weeks ago (we usually go to Super Stop & Shop on Branch) and came away with a very positive first impression (and I usually avoid Shaws). I didn't scrutinize the product selection but it seemed good and the store appeared clean and well-maintained.

Glad you liked it. I will readily admit to being extremely hard to please when it comes to grocery stores. Nothing around here has really made me swoon. I think the WF at both University Heights and Waterman are probably the two worst WF's I have ever been in. Eastide is just okay, and most Shaws and SS are well worth avoiding. I am a brat when it comes to grocery stores.

Cannot wait until the farmer's markets open up.

I thought I was really a snob in this area until I spoke to transplants from Portland OR and Seattle.

Spending too much money on groceries is one of those things that just drives me insane. We were up to $160 a week shopping at Stop and Shop, and now we hover around $85 shopping mainly at pricerite with just the stuff you cant get there being purchased at Shaws (tofu, coffee, some produce...) Spending $5 for a box of cereal I can pay $1.50 for just makes me want to pull my hair out. The whole foods just about gives me hives its so expensive and Stop & Shop isnt that far behind.

You guys must be kidding. Has anybody compared the Eagle Square Shaws to the one off of North Main?! That place is from a different, and much grungier, point in the time-space continuum. And many times their produce is wilty, bagged lettuce turning slimy, or stuff is just plain out of stock. Everytime I go in there I wonder whether Shaw's is trying to drive it out of business through sheer neglect.

The Eagle Square Shaw's is a slice of heaven in comparison.

I'm pretty disappointed in everything I've seen in New England (especially produce) thus far. When I visit my parents at home in the NY Metro I'm shocked at how amazing some of their supermarkets and produce selections are.

That said, I am a fan of East Side Market, especially how responsive they are (if there's a product you indicate to them you'll need regularly, they'll stock it). Their produce, however, like everything else around here, isn't great.

- Garris

Can't we just get a Trader Joe's? The nearest one is always too far. North Main, maybe? When I lived in Cambridge, I could walk to one, and life was sweeter for it.

Shaw's on North Main is baaaad. The Camp Street bus runs to it, but...nah. Since I got rid of the car, I mostly get by by walking down to the Food Whole every day or two. If you get the store brand of almost anything, and buy what you can from bulk, it's affordable and good quality -- but Trader Joe's is yards better, for value received.

I'm looking forward to farmer's markets, too -- and I can guarantee you'll see some food growing in yards on Camp this summer, so we'll be swapping locally, which will cut down a little on the marketing.

I spent a lot of time in grocery stores this weekend, looking for some passover things. I have to say that WF had not only the better quality produce, but was also much cheaper.

For example, Shaws had lemons for 99 cents each and they looked almost brown. WF had beautiful lemons for 69 cents each.

Horseradish root was 4.59 a lb in Shaws, 3.99 in WF.

I could go on and on, but I know a lot of people assume WF is an overpriced store (not pickin on ya Liam!) but they are cheaper in many instances. And the quality is worlds better.

I spent a lot of time in grocery stores this weekend, looking for some passover things. I have to say that WF had not only the better quality produce, but was also much cheaper.

For example, Shaws had lemons for 99 cents each and they looked almost brown. WF had beautiful lemons for 69 cents each.

Horseradish root was 4.59 a lb in Shaws, 3.99 in WF.

I could go on and on, but I know a lot of people assume WF is an overpriced store (not pickin on ya Liam!) but they are cheaper in many instances. And the quality is worlds better.

There's something called Big Y which was probably the cleanest grocery store I've ever visited. I was in Connecticut, but I'm not sure where and I was on an expense account so I didn't care how much I had spent. I remember friendly stock clerks and cashiers who helped me out, which is a different kind of experience.

If you do ALL your shopping at Whole Foods and/or Stop and Shop, you WILL pay more than you would for the same cartload at PriceRite and/or Shaw's. The produce is hit or miss everywhere! Does anyone know why the floor was never tiled at the Eagle Square Shaw's? Did they run out of money after they paid the asphalt paving company?

Academy Market deli bangs out better stuff (meatballs, seafood/tuna salad) than Shaw's and somehow its always priced less. Why? :dontknow: I usually get my meat from the Spanish butcher shop next to the liquor store on Academy because its super fresh, and cheap. If you know where to go... :shades:

I love Cafe Bustelo home brewed Iced Coffee. $2.50 at PriceRite, same price as one DD large, and no gambling at the drive thru. :scared: Never tried grinding at home.

I go to Stop and Shop only in case of emergency - after 10:00 pm.

big y is a nice store. i always went to waldbaum's, which was bought out by A&P, so it's now super foodmart. we had that and stop and shop in town, as well as a small local grocery store near the center of town (branford, CT). the local store had better meats and produce, but their prices were quite a bit more for regular items. i never went to big y because it was in the next town from me (guilford). big y does a lot of charity stuff in the local community i think as well.

i like that the eagle square shaw's doesn't have the same boring tile as the rest...

Archived