Greenville area population statistics

If people want I small stagnant town the can move to the likes of McCormick. I like watching places progress and grow. Atlanta is already there, and I don't like stagnant towns so Greenville is perfect for me because its in the middle and growing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got that right. :)

If people want I small stagnant town the can move to the likes of McCormick. I like watching places progress and grow. Atlanta is already there, and I don't like stagnant towns so Greenville is perfect for me because its in the middle and growing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But not having a soaring population doesn't necessarily mean that a place is stagnant. There are plenty of cities and countries whose population isn't growing much or isn't growing significantly that aren't economically or culturally stagnant. If you take Greenville's population growth and development patterns, eventually the city will be another mess of congestion and sprawl. Where will it all stop- when the GSA area has 1.5 million people and extends from the NC border all the way to the GA border? That's where it's headed.

But not having a soaring population doesn't necessarily mean that a place is stagnant.  There are plenty of cities and countries whose population isn't growing much or isn't growing significantly that aren't economically or culturally stagnant.  If you take Greenville's population growth and development patterns, eventually the city will be another mess of congestion and sprawl.  Where will it all stop- when the GSA area has 1.5 million people and extends from the NC border all the way to the GA border? That's where it's headed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So my question is;

Why is it only a bad thing for GSA to have a high population, but not Columbia or Charleston? Remember, these are people we're talking about, not robots! Also, I'd like to know what actual current first-hand knowledge most of you posters are speaking from. Things aren't what they once were because they're changing daily. Is this a good thing? Overall, YES. :)

So my question is;

Why is it only a bad thing for GSA to have a high population, but not Columbia or Charleston?  Remember, these are people we're talking about, not robots!  Also, I'd like to know what actual current first-hand knowledge most of you posters are speaking from.  Things aren't what they once were because they're changing daily.  Is this a good thing?  Overall, YES. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not familiar with Columbia or Charleston and thus can't comment on their local issues. I just am constantly hearing "growth for growth's sake is a good thing" around Greenville and just think that continuing rapid population growth (and accompanying sprawl) isn't necessarily a good thing. There are plenty of cities in the US with low population growth that have other good qualities, such as high and increasing income levels, that lead to high quality of life. Having lived in Atlanta, NYC and elsewhere, I just think that people in GSA should realize that smaller cities have a lot of benefits and that not every city should be trying to chase a larger population.

Which is exactly why people love to live here! This is definitely NOT a big city, although you may get that feeling while visiting a concert at the Peace Center or Bi-Lo Center, and of course Greenville is known by its residents and visitors as having a high-level quality of life. :) Put this together with the other cities and towns all over the Upstate and you don't get Las Vegas or Orlando, but aother rather unique place with a population that exceeds general expectation. People who neither live here nor visit very often just can't realize the incredible rate at which Greenville is changing weekly! As with most cities, this growth doesn't always go the way every resident would like to see, however when you look at the progress from the standpoint of someone who's either lived here for a while or visited often, you'll understand without doubt what I am talking about. It doesn't do anyone good to speculate merely on a preconception or even an earlier experience because the area is in a constant state of change (a rapid level of progression). :)

Which is exactly why people love to live here!  This is definitely NOT a big city, although you may get that feeling while visiting a concert at the Peace Center or Bi-Lo Center, and of course Greenville is known by its residents and visitors as having a high-level quality of life. :)  Put this together with the other cities and towns all over the Upstate and you don't get Las Vegas or Orlando, but aother rather unique place with a population that exceeds general expectation.  People who neither live here nor visit very often just can't realize the incredible rate at which Greenville is changing weekly!  As with most cities, this growth doesn't always go the way every resident would like to see, however when you look at the progress from the standpoint of someone who's either lived here for a while or visited often, you'll understand without doubt what I am talking about.  It doesn't do anyone good to speculate merely on a preconception or even an earlier experience because the area is in a constant state of change (a rapid level of progression). :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said!

• 1 year later...

I remember finding a US census site somewhere a couple months bach that was giving a 2006 projection of like 412k. I do not put too much in these estimates however. I mentioned in the 1999 thread that a 1998 estimate put the county at 353k, but the 2000 census was 379. I doubt it actually grew by 26k in two years, it was just underestimated quite a bit. I would not be surprised at all if we are nearing 425-430k as of today if we got an accurate count.

Census Population estimates are just that- estimates. The 100% data is generally more reliable (though there are issues with it as well).

For the latest estimates, go to this website:

http://www.census.gov/popest/

I've not seen any 2006 data at the county level, so I am interested to know where you found it.

Hereis the link I was talking about. It says the info is from the US census. It has SC estimate for 2006, but only has projections for the counties. It projects Gville cty to have only modest growth of between 4 and 5k every year through 2035, but this is well below the average of almost 6k/year over the past 15 years. And with all the development, I would not expect that to change downward significantly if at all. I would actually expect that to go up. So I think these projections for gville county are probably way off.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is the same link I posted on the state page, but thought we could discuss Greenville's position in this thread. No surprise to me that we have added 10k in the past year. People talk sooo much about the coastal growth, but there is very little difference in actual numbers. I think Greenville will remain the most populated county, by far, for a long time to come. In fact, over the last couple of estimates, it looks like the numbers are on the increase. :thumbsup:

So we are actually pulling away from the other counties even more?

All except for Horry, but the difference isn't great enough to make significant gains towards becoming number one. Based on a string of announcements from last year starting construction, continued interest in the area, and a positive future for CU-ICAR, I'd say it's safe to say 2007 will be another year of atleast 10,000 newcomers. It's all speculation though, and only time will tell.