High-rise Rumored for Blocks SE13 & SE14

eandslee

I think I heard a bus transfer station for the site of the Public Safety building... did I hear correctly anyone? But that is WAY off topic. Haha. The Downtown Expressway being made into a tunnel was kind of related to making 8th St's connector into a tunnel under a building being an example.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FLASH!!! A bit of good news before I head off to Penn Station to commence my Richmond holiday:

Richmonder has just posted at RCW the latest info on the Triangle plot:

The building will be 26 stories and rise 450 feet, including the spire. That's 58' shorter than the VB Westin, says Richmonder.

Joey, I hope this cheers you up.

So long everyone. No more posting 'til at least Aug. 8th when I return to New York.

My table discussed putting the transfer station at the public safety building. I personally didn't like the idea, but it made it on our plan. We also discussed placing it where the coliseum is (assuming it moves to the Diamond area).

Since Burt has now left, does anyone know if Richmonder has a reliable source regarding the new highrise? I hope he does...

My table discussed putting the transfer station at the public safety building. I personally didn't like the idea, but it made it on our plan. We also discussed placing it where the coliseum is (assuming it moves to the Diamond area).

Since Burt has now left, does anyone know if Richmonder has a reliable source regarding the new highrise? I hope he does...

YES!!!! :w00t:. That Cheers me up alot compared to the last bit of news of the tower. I hope they continue with more good news. I really wish they could add condos but at this point its not a good idea with the way the housing market is. But Im glad to hear this thing has a spire. Yay for Richmond.

Im a fan of the 600 foot threshold... make the top few floors executive offices and condos... What a view that would be? About the whole tunnel thing, I misunderstood the concept... but burying the expressway would work considering the grade change it cuts through. In fact it would work from the toll plaza all the way to the emergence for the intersection with I-95. That is a brilliant plan. Just I dont know if Richmond can stump for the 5 bizzillion dollars it would take to do it. We dont have the metro area quite like Boston. We could however get federal money for it... part of an urban revitalization loan...

The idea would dump quite a few acres of open space right into the heart of downtown richmond... a HUGE change...

It's just a thought, but I think we're hijacking this thread for it. I'd like to talk about it and the ideas brought up at the charrette. I guess back to the Richmond Development thread.

I don't understand why it would cost so much to put some green space over most of the expressway between the RMA garage and the toll plaza. Isn't it just putting a roof strong enough to support some grass on top of two existing walls. We wouldn't have to touch the expressway itself at all.

The retaining walls would have to be completely rebuilt to support the added weight... and you would have to add middle column support. If you look at the Kanawha plaza section, it is almost 10-15 feet deep for support of the drainage and planting materials... and that is just grass for the most part...

I drove by the site several times and finally concluded that it would be virtually impossible to build a hotel on the tiny triangle across 8th Street from the big one. So, I gather the block is to be reunited into a square to accommodate both buildings. Is that the latest thinking?

Maybe we could use that corner to build something equivalent to Seattle's Sky Needle or the CN tower in Toronto. Just a really tall structure with a cool observation deck at the top. Maybe we could do it in the shape of a cigarette, just to piss off the maximum number of people. Can't you just see the very stop of that glowing red at night?

Archived