High-rise Rumored for Blocks SE13 & SE14

eandslee

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see them foregoing large floor plates by not using the full Cary Street frontage. 8th Street is really quite wide at that point. To leap frog from the big triangle to the smaller one would require city permits that would surely hold up the project.

SupMeUp also said that since Dominion owns the land, currently their parking lot, there probably will have to be some arrangement to provide space they would lose. Also, there's legalese about a one foot set-back for every vertical 4 feet. I guess that explains the sloping sides.

That makes sense, Guy.

There's a new, not quite finished 60-story tower across from me. The one and only set back on the 42nd Street frontage is about four levels from the street. But there are two on the side facing me -- one about half way up and the other about 5 floors from the top.

Of course, New York and Richmond will have different regulations regarding height.

No wonder someone at Skyscraper City said it looked exactly like the W Hotel in Dallas! It probably is since whoever it was just wanted to see how a skyscraper would look on the triangle.

But I think it's safe to say plans really are underway with a developer for the site. We'll just have to wait a while longer for the real thing.

I was kind of surprised something that creative and signature-like was being proposed for Richmond. In spite of the triangle footprint I hope they find a way to make it look like a bland, brick 12 story box so it fits in with the rest of the skyline. Something along the lines of the Riverfront Village Cordish "towers" would be great. (And don't forget to leave off the roof!) Don't we need a twin for the Dominion tower anyway?

This makes me angry guys. I hope Ryan is wrong about it. I really do but it sounds like he knows something about it. I hope the project doesn't turn out as a dead sign of progress for the Triangle Lot.

• 1 month later...

thanks eandslee! i have been searching this forum for a Northern Virginia thread. does anyone know if there is one? also, i was looking for new area highrise development. i found a good thread, but was wondering if there is infact a new "tallest building" either proposed or approved for richmond? if it is the one that eandslee was talking about, is there an image or maybe some more info on it that has been made available? again.. thanks for your info guys. :)

thanks eandslee! i have been searching this forum for a Northern Virginia thread. does anyone know if there is one? also, i was looking for new area highrise development. i found a good thread, but was wondering if there is infact a new "tallest building" either proposed or approved for richmond? if it is the one that eandslee was talking about, is there an image or maybe some more info on it that has been made available? again.. thanks for your info guys. :)

Eric, the image above is the W Hotel in Dallas superimposed over the triangle plot for one reason or another. But it is NOT what will rise at the site bounded by Cary, Canal, 8th and 9th Streets.

According to Commercial Notes in today's RTD, Williams Mullen Law Firm, rumored to be the prime tenant in a proposed new skyscraper, has just leased 5,031 square feet in James Center II at 1021 East Cary Street. Thalhimer, Cusman & Wakefield are the leasing agents. Let's hope the small square footage is a temporary move pending a permanent home in a 600-footer across 9th Street. :)

Eric, the image above is the W Hotel in Dallas superimposed over the triangle plot for one reason or another. But it is NOT what will rise at the site bounded by Cary, Canal, 8th and 9th Streets.

According to Commercial Notes in today's RTD, Williams Mullen Law Firm, rumored to be the prime tenant in a proposed new skyscraper, has just leased 5,031 square feet in James Center II at 1021 East Cary Street. Thalhimer, Cusman & Wakefield are the leasing agents. Let's hope the small square footage is a temporary move pending a permanent home in a 600-footer across 9th Street. :)

Archived