Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

^^ I think his magic number is 1024 because Bank of America Plaza (Atlanta) is 1023 ft. Anyway if it is over 1000 ft it will be one of the highest 30 buildings in the world (today, might look different when it is built)

According to: http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/wo/

edit: and of course (maybe) the tallest outside of Chicago and New York

Edited by brad_clt

Doesn't the program hit the shelves, so the speak, on Thursday? Unless it's available during the practice rounds, I think they have until Thursday before they're caught with their pants down.

If that's true then that makes much more sense. Thanks!

I thought I was losing my mind for a second. I knew I had seen the Westin in one of the renderings this morning. Once I got to the office, I was trying to figure out if the rendering was on the previous site or on the 277 redo. The Westin has now been taken out of the rendering on the website.

Someone didnt want us to think it was still in the Goodyear lot? It also looks like the Duke Energy and Charlotte Observer buildings have been removed from the current image. Look at the rendering on the far right.

EDIT: Found the different images-

From this morning (found on Doug's blog)

trumpCharlotte1.jpg

Current Image-

trumpCharlotte2.jpg

Edited by CLTNative

lol! No its just that Bank of America in atlanta is 1023 feet and 1024 would be at least a foot taller.

I thought u were pulling an electrical engineering joke...

And I thought I was going crazy when I didn't see the Westin anymore...

Edited by Andyc545

Boy they are doing a lot of work on renderings and websites in a 24-hour period for a project that is on hold and an ad that comes out on Thursday... :)

Wonder if an announcement of a tenant will accompany other announcements should they come?

Current Image-

trumpCharlotte2.jpg

Could the redering on the right show that two sets of buildings straddle 277?

Boy they are doing a lot of work on renderings and websites in a 24-hour period for a project that is on hold and an ad that comes out on Thursday... :)

Wonder if an announcement of a tenant will accompany other announcements should they come?

Could the redering on the right show that two sets of buildings straddle 277?

On the picture on the right you can see 277 to the left hand side of it. Not to mention if 277 was that small compared to these buildings they would have to be MASSIVE structures, at least more so than they really are.

Let's all notice that Charlotte based Little Architecture is behind this one. Congrats to everyone over there. I know some of you read this board.

Seems like a pretty ambitious project for them compared to the other projects on their website, which are all low-midrise.

The prime interest rate is low now under 3%, it would make sense to get a loan now when they can a favorable rate.

True, and an optimist would say that when the doors open on a project of this size 6 years from, our economic problems will be a thing of the past. Mighty big gamble though.

True, and an optimist would say that when the doors open on a project of this size 6 years from, our economic problems will be a thing of the past. Mighty big gamble though.

Quite true, it is a big gamble, but if you wait until the economy is better and the project takes 5 - 6 years, then we might be on a downturn again.

In today's tight credit climate, no bank will fund a gamble.

But there is funding out there, construction is still happening, just not the free wheelin' days of old. I think the terms used here, gambling specifically, weren't meant to be taken literally. If this project is about to be announced, they haven't thrown a set of dice, decided on Charlotte, and decided to see what happens.

My comments were more to the effect of: Large developers and construction companies need to continually be on the move. They can't be 100% market reactive. If they were then just as often as a downturn was looming an upturn would be as well. You can't time everything perfectly so you have to use as much educated movement as you can combined with a bit of confidence that a downward cycle will be followed by an upward cycle. As someone else mentioned earlier, these projects take so long that what is happening today will be likely be irrelevant when it is completed -- and a big organization like Trump can get financing if they want it...

If you want my stock suggestions....I suggest taking my "buy" advice, and pre-empting my "sell" advice by about 5 months....my greed always overcomes my fear, which typically results in below-average returns.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I like the design, don't love it, but really enjoy how the complex looks different from each angle.

As far as financing....I agree that it would be tough to acquire right now, and even with a hotel component, they would probably have fairly strict pre-sell requirements. The office piece wouldn't happen without a signed anchor tenant, but persistent rumors indicate that they may well have one.

Developments of this scope are very difficult in smaller markets like Charlotte right now, but certainly not impossible...the bar has been raised by lenders, but if they can meet requirement, and have a fairly large share of equity, then they should be able to press forward.

They have the project featured on Little's website, too, now! I have no doubt's that this project is moving forward. I don't know what sparked the change in efforts over the last month, since it was last said to be put on hold, but I'm glad that this attitude shift has taken place. It certainly speaks something about our great growing city to have an internationally recognized developer set eyes on us, love him or hate him.

http://www.littleonline.com/

There were rumors that I heard a while back, and I sure hope they are true, that this project might be happening because of a possible corporate relocation. I have no clue if that is true, but it sure would be nice, and might actually help explain the resurgence of this project despite an awkward month for Charlotte's banks. Given atlrvr's reference that they still persist might be a very good sign for this project.

I'm certainly no architectural critic as many of you are, but to me, this project looks like it would/will be quite a nice addition to Charlotte and the skyline. The fact that both buildings have two sections with different heights helps give it the effect of four different buildings, which I think will be very interesting on the skyline. I think it is great that it is pretty tall, but I am still more interested in the density and the multiplier effects of what goes inside.

I'm not sure if the removal of the Westin and other buildings are signs that they might be putting this on the newly freed up land east of the LRT station, but no matter where they place this, it is sure to have a dramatic impact on our skyline. Stonewall might become a very important address in the years to come if this is located in one of those new parcels, and helps kick off some other plans for that land. Even in its originally announced location, this project would combine with Wachovia's new hq and the Nascar Plaza to make Stonewall a very important street in Charlotte.

^I have no idea if this has any merit, but would Fifth-Third's buyout of First Charter have something to do with this project suddenly resurfacing? We all know they wanted a Southeast presence, hence their buyout of First Charter. With the low vacancy rate, I have to wonder where they would be set up shop in uptown. Like I said, I'm just throwing it out there. If we're talking about a possible relocation of company it has to be a decent size fish.

BTW - I'd love to know how many hits this thread has had in the last 24 hours. Everytime I've checked on it, there's like 20 users viewing the subject along with probably 4+ pages worth of posts.

I wouldn't know for sure, but news articles always reference their wanting to shift to a downtown location once they sell their URP office space. They've always been said to be going at 10th and Tryon, and I highly doubt they'd have enough office space to warrant going into such a large building.

This might be a friend pulling my chain, but they said maerskline shipping is looking at relocating to charlotte at least some of their operations or establish a new US Headquarters. I believe Mearskline is headquartered in Denmark maybe. My buddy works for them and says that he might actually have to move to charlotte if there is a corporate relocation. My question is why would charlotte benifit a primarily port based shipping company. I have not been able to find anything online suggesting this to be the case, however, but who knows.

Edited by Guest