Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

I really like this design - it seems incredibly efficient. I am bracing for the onslaught of screaming against this "European-inspired" design that requires us to drive on the wrong side of the road, however... :ermm:

That's already started. Just go to the WOODTV Facebook page, for instance. :P  I enjoy clever solutions myself. I imagine the designers sitting down and hashing through possible solutions.

I wish they'd address the I-96 interchange with 28th street before doing this.  Cars have to slow down in the right lane before even getting onto the clover leaf exit because there's no off-ramp approach. 

And even worst than that is the Lane Ave on-ramp to west bound 196.  There's no merging lane. 

Focus MDOT, Focus.

I wish they'd address the I-96 interchange with 28th street before doing this.  Cars have to slow down in the right lane before even getting onto the clover leaf exit because there's no off-ramp approach. 

And even worst than that is the Lane Ave on-ramp to west bound 196.  There's no merging lane. 

Focus MDOT, Focus.

The Beltline/96/196 area could use some help too.  Mainly for folks trying to get from 96 eastbound exiting at the Beltline.  You have to cross 3 lanes of traffic very quickly.  I think their was a plan for this a few years ago, not sure what happened.  I'm sure their are countless projects that need attention.  Show me the $$$.

The traffic back-ups that occur at rush hour at this interchange have gotten progressively worse as office space, etc. has gone up on East Paris and the surrounding area.  What they need to address next is the enormous back-up that occurs between Cascade Road and the Beltline on west bound 96.  The extended the on ramp quite a ways west a few years ago but they really need three lanes between Cascade and where the Fulton exit joins.

I really like this design - it seems incredibly efficient. I am bracing for the onslaught of screaming against this "European-inspired" design that requires us to drive on the wrong side of the road, however... :ermm:

It took me completely by surprise in Joplin, MO.  Pulled in late in the evening and was momentarily disconcerted to see oncoming traffic to my right.  It was one of those 'WTF'? moments that quickly subsided :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on the Pearl Street gateway rebuild. Still slated to be finished by end of July. This along with the new Wolfgang Puck restaurant on the front of AGP will be transformative for this entry into downtown. You guys knew that already but just sayin. :) 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/07/when_pearl_street_at_us_131_co.html#incart_river

• 2 months later...

Cascade is quite a pinch point on a busy day with nowhere to go. I can see why it is getting redone w/ some priority.

Joe

At least 3 cranes at this site and a bunch of DOT hardhats on Cascade West Parkway/Cascade having a lengthy 'what do we do with this intersection?' meeting probably.  That street is a big issue with Blue Cross and medical offices filling up.

• 1 month later...

Not too new news, but State St. has had its much needed rebuild completed. As a person that takes this street in a car, and on a bike in the past, it is a welcome thing. I especially like the bike lanes being a different color than the road, although fitting it in misaligns State west of Lafayette and the part east.

WP_20151030_18_09_44_Pro.jpg

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

There's been a lot of surveying going on along I-196 from the East Beltline all the way to the Ottawa off ramp. Wasn't there talk or plans to re-do the Ottawa/I-196/Division mess? I can't seem to find it. 

There was this artical on MLive last year.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/06/roundabout_reconfigured_i-196.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tSlater said:

I think there was a small discussion on it in the MSU building thread, since they were the ones pushing for it, I believe.

Thanks. That explains the Ottawa/I-196 interchange. What I also wonder is why they're surveying all the way out to the Beltline? Are they finally going to start moving on the rest of the "Fix on I-196?"

Not sure if it's in the end plan but 96 really needs to be three lanes all the way to 36th and E. Beltline needs to be three lanes almost all the way to Four Mile.  It's such a mess, even at 3:00 PM.  By the time they do end up expanding it that far they will probably need four lanes.  In many other states it would have happened long ago.

10 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

Not sure if it's in the end plan but 96 really needs to be three lanes all the way to 36th and E. Beltline needs to be three lanes almost all the way to Four Mile.  It's such a mess, even at 3:00 PM.  By the time they do end up expanding it that far they will probably need four lanes.  In many other states it would have happened long ago.

I pulled stats on accidents along the East Beltline from basically the driveway at Gravity to Knapp Street. It was astounding, I think over 400 last year. That was just what the State police responded to. I drive it daily for work and I swear I see a rear end collision every day. Statistically if I see that many, there have to be more that just don't get reported to the police, or the county shows up on the call and it doesn't get reported on the State Police data info. 

With 500 apartments going up near Knapp and the Beltline and the new retail development, it's going to become an even bigger cluster. 

Yeah I drve that daily as well.  When traffic is moving, it usually never fails there are two cars right next to each other going 40 or 45.  People get frustrated and try to dangerously pass them (not that I blame them) and cause or nearly cause an accident.  I believe a third lane for that stretch is going to be added with the 96/196/E Beltline Interchange project.  It would be nice to have a "middle lane" to pass all the people in the left that want to go west and those on the right needing to go east.  Lately I've been taking Grand River drive which is almost faster than 96 to E. Beltline to near 4/5 mile.

13 hours ago, Raildudes dad said:

Just going to add 3rd lane Fuller to Maryland

Interesting that they would stop 3 lanes at Maryland. Is that because the big interchange is going to be reworked in a separate project? 

MDOT's page shows widening of the I-196 bridge over the Grand River starting this year and the widening of I-196 from Fuller to the I-96 split by 2018. 

MDOT Widen.JPG

MDOT Bridge.JPG