Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

The City of GR has setup a "Stimulus Tracker" on their website:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=9421

In that, you can find the list of road construction projects that funding from the stimulus bill is helping move forward at an accelerated rate:

http://grcity.us/index.pl?page_id=9625

• 3 weeks later...

Bridge St from Broadway all the way to the Grand River (closed at Monroe Ave) is being rebuilt (new curbs, sidewalk, trees, etc.) starting next week.

Might want to avoid that area if you can.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...rand_river.html

The Press article says it will be closed from Monroe to Turner for Phase I.

• 5 months later...

Is every highway in the Grand Rapids area being rebuilt right now? I-96 all the way from Cascade to Walker, I-196 all the way through town. I'm not complaining, as a lot of it needed to be repaved, but did we get accelerated MDOT funding or something?

MDOT could be using ARRA money. Did you see any signs indicating that? Or ARRA money freed up "regular" federal funds for the projects. Most likely the majority of the funds being spent on the Interstates are from federal sources. Or it's just the last chance to repave before winter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Construction has started on the Eastern bridge. It looks like they are adding at least one lane

Also, does anyone know what going on I-196 at Coit bridge? There are two cranes and other machinery, on a path off the highway and they were clearing the top of the hill near Coit bridge this morning. My guess is just staging for the bridge replacement. when was that supposed to happen?

Construction has started on the Eastern bridge. It looks like they are adding at least one lane

Also, does anyone know what going on I-196 at Coit bridge? There are two cranes and other machinery, on a path off the highway and they were clearing the top of the hill near Coit bridge this morning. My guess is just staging for the bridge replacement. when was that supposed to happen?

I had wondered that too. MDOT's apparently going to rebuild that entire embankment and add terraced landscaping (according to someone in NOBL). Don't know if that's what they're starting, or if it's as you said to start rebuilding the bridge.

It's a soundwall! and there will be another lane of traffic. I talked to one of the workers today.

According to one of the design engineers I know, what you are seeing is the beginning of construction of the wall to allow for the adding of the 3rd lane. The equipment looks like drilled shaft equipment as I rolled by at 55 :). What you see at Eastern Ave looks like a temporary support structure for a utility (telephone?) to allow the replacement of the existing bridge.

alright, thanks for the clarification. This one going to be one big project by the time everythings finished

2' dia augered hole with soldier piles
according to my informed source :D Last I heard it was going to be a full closure when they really get going on the reconstruct. Any more questions, I can probably get the answers :fun:

Any images of what the layout is supposed to be? I recall seeing some on Mlive's website, but I think they were more of a vision. I want to see some more concrete plans (pun intended)!

I know this was 3 1/2 years ago but is the following still the plan?

These are the plans for the eventual widening, interchange alterations and realignment of I-196 near the Beltline to clean up that interchange:

I-196 at Ottawa/Ionia with a proposed offramp serving North Division, closing of Ionia North of I-196 and highway widening (I count 3 and 4 lanes going in each direction):

206662556_0faceddacd_o.jpg

I-196 near Fuller, with widenings and added merge/weave lanes (I count 3 and 4 lanes going in each direction)

206662557_54433ddffd_o.jpg

The new interchange at I-196/96/Beltline (M-44), separating traffic depending on destinations. I count 4 and 5 lanes in each direction in some areas:

206662558_99ef5019aa_o.jpg

Beltline is also proposed to widen to 6 lanes going North to at least Knapp. All of this is proposed and not finalized yet. You can find the entire report at MDOT's site. In some of those pictures, I keep thinking how great it would be to add a transit rail to the existing GR Eastern railroad line, that could have a "park-n-ride" lot at the East Beltline and serve downtown.

I know this was 3 1/2 years ago but is the following still the plan?

Yeah that's the one I saw a few years ago. That massive upgrade to the 96/196/beltline/fulton interchange and pretty big lane expansion all the way to Cascade Road is why I still think it was more of a long term vision than actual plans.

I still enjoy looking at that though.

Yesterday MDOT posted a visualization of the the Fix on 196 will look like when its complete in Summer 2011.

Here's a link:

Thanks DetroitMan. That video makes things pretty clear. It looks like North Division and Ionia will be kept the way they are then, since they don't mention anything about the Ottawa Ave. exit.

offtopic.gif

What was the "proposed office tower" that's denoted on the 3 1/2 year-old map along the river? Is it still being thought about today?

Awesome video; that's exactly what I was looking for.

A few comments though:

1. It would have been nice if they'd have made a way for vehicles entering the freeway from southbound 131 to (legally) exit at Ottawa. I guess that would require a whole new exit on the left side though, wouldn't it. Probably unrealistic.

2. I'm a little disappointed with the Coit Ave bridge. Yeah, it's nicer than the typical overpass (at least it's not blue), but the way they've been hyping it up, I was expecting something a little more like the bridges over 96 in Novi with the brick or stones or whatever. Same with all those bland sound barrier walls along the sides. I was hoping for something more of a gateway to downtown. Damn "tough economic times".

3. Also, why don't they extend that extra through lane to Lane Ave? It looks like they've already made room for it, unless the 131 bridge isn't wide enough to accommodate it... or maybe there's just an extremely high demand for lots of shoulder space right there.

Still glad this is finally happening though. I know we're supposed to argue for mass transit on this forum, but hey, I much prefer driving on 3 lane freeways to 2 lane ones. I wish they would do this to all the area freeways, especially 96 between 196 and Alpine. I know it's not at all needed, but that stretch is just too boring for me.

By the way... that truck going westbound shouldn't be in the left lane! That guy behind him looks pissed! :lol:

Edited by the_grand_raggidy

i'm pretty sure the overall plan is to widen the 196 all the way out to Baldwin ave , but because the infrastructure is so outdated it has to be done in stages. Widening the 196 thru the junction would probabally be the biggest project, but I really dont know that they truly need a third thru lane directly over the 131, certainly before and after, but that's all in the works. all the bridges between Lane and Wilson need to be replaced, it's ugly because they waited so long do do anything at all with the freeway.