Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

I work off of Colley Ave., and noticed the tower as I left this evening. It's blue again, and looked awesome.

Here's a few close-ups from when I got into DT Norfolk. Don't worry; I was at a red light! thumbsup.gif They're from my Blackberry, so the quality's about as good as you can expect from a phone. In person, it looks sweet, and from a distance it's almost mesmerizing, like a Bat signal or something. Imagine if they could make it a rotating pattern of colors...

wellsfargo.jpg

wellsfargo2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lights look great and all, but more importantly.. have we seen any progress on the retail and apartment portion of the WFC. It's a much needed addition to our downtown.. please don't fall through.

No but the ground floor bank branch has signage up and furniture inside.

The lights look great and all, but more importantly.. have we seen any progress on the retail and apartment portion of the WFC. It's a much needed addition to our downtown.. please don't fall through.

heard on the radio that construction on that portion has started and will take a year to complete. heard it the other day on my way to work.

I hope it pans out like the design or better. That is going to do wonders, and I do mean wonders for that corner. Especially if they devlop the empty third anchor spot. I'm telling you, they should do a three story multi-something building and have like a best buy on the first floor, something else on the second, and dinning on the very top. Or make it 4 stories and give best buy two floors. It would be freaking awesome. Oh also, one ground level dinning places, or maybe two......

That would be more vibrant than that stretch of granby if done right. Hell, this is the time to do it.

heard on the radio that construction on that portion has started and will take a year to complete. heard it the other day on my way to work.

I hope it pans out like the design or better. That is going to do wonders, and I do mean wonders for that corner. Especially if they devlop the empty third anchor spot. I'm telling you, they should do a three story multi-something building and have like a best buy on the first floor, something else on the second, and dinning on the very top. Or make it 4 stories and give best buy two floors. It would be freaking awesome. Oh also, one ground level dinning places, or maybe two......

That would be more vibrant than that stretch of granby if done right. Hell, this is the time to do it.

the city plans call for a office tower on top of a third anchor, we might have to wait a bit for it but that would be a worthy goal

my idea for the third anchor spot would have an anchor like best buy or sears on the first few floors, followed by a relocated movie theater then a dozen or so floors of reasonably priced apartments/condos. with the movies on that spot, the mall could open up a whole new floor of retail space.

I wonder if the lighting on top will be fixed on blue. They should let me write some programs for it.

I drove down Granby last Thursday, and it seemed to alternate between pink, blue, and white. I'd love to see a multi-colored setup like the Coliseum does, or a cycle of colors.

I wonder if the lighting on top will be fixed on blue. They should let me write some programs for it.

It was green and yellow the night the Celtics played the Lakers. It alternated between solid green, solid yellow, and both at the same time. I hope they do the same thing for local sporting events as well.

It would have been interesting to have been following the game while looking at the lights. I wonder if they alternated the color based on the point score at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

It was green and yellow the night the Celtics played the Lakers. It alternated between solid green, solid yellow, and both at the same time. I hope they do the same thing for local sporting events as well.

It would have been interesting to have been following the game while looking at the lights. I wonder if they alternated the color based on the point score at the time.

Say word!!!

That is exciting news that they plan and capable of doing something like that in this town. I hope the other portion is as dramatic and entertaining. They have to do that spot right, its a lot of potential on that corner and open lot next to it.

I stayed in downtown Portsmouth for 4th of July with a view of Norfolk for the fireworks. Saw the top of Wells Fargo lit up. 1st time i seen anything like that here. Nice touch for the city to have one of the skyscrapers light up on top like that. L.G.N.M shades.gifshades.gif

Big fan of the lights. I think it really gives life to skyline at night. However, after about 20 or so posts on this subject, I propose we press on to the matter at hand. Yes, construction has begun on the next phase of work. Framing and walls have been erected (huh huh) on the apartment complex at corner of Freemason and Bank. Significant concrete work on opposite end across from Arts building. And work has begun on the main site on Monticello. Slow but finally happening. Pics forthcoming.

Big fan of the lights. I think it really gives life to skyline at night. However, after about 20 or so posts on this subject, I propose we press on to the matter at hand. Yes, construction has begun on the next phase of work. Framing and walls have been erected (huh huh) on the apartment complex at corner of Freemason and Bank. Significant concrete work on opposite end across from Arts building. And work has begun on the main site on Monticello. Slow but finally happening. Pics forthcoming.

OH MY GOODNESS?! Really?!

This is great news. I got tired of looking for progress so I stopped going down Monticello. This will do wonders for Monticello Ave and I wonder if it will be done by the time the light rail opens? GO TIDE and go DOWNTOWN NORFOLK.

Apartment/retail framing has started at the corner of Bank and Freemason. My concern is that the framing is wood! I suppose these are no longer considered "luxury apartments"? I would hope the Monticello portion is being constructed with better construction materials. So far it seems like they are attaching trailers to million dollar homes...

Apartment/retail framing has started at the corner of Bank and Freemason. My concern is that the framing is wood! I suppose these are no longer considered "luxury apartments"? I would hope the Monticello portion is being constructed with better construction materials. So far it seems like they are attaching trailers to million dollar homes...

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but this is how almost all small building construction is done these days, luxury or not. Actually wood construction downtown is what makes building these midrise apartment buildings downtown cost effective. Once they are done, I am betting you would have no idea it was a wood constructed building.

I meant to post this a while ago, but any of this new splash of color in DT have anything to do with the coloring of the water at the scope fountain? It has been a blue for some weeks now. Not sure if it was a prank or the city dyed the water. Still looks cool though either way.

I meant to post this a while ago, but any of this new splash of color in DT have anything to do with the coloring of the water at the scope fountain? It has been a blue for some weeks now. Not sure if it was a prank or the city dyed the water. Still looks cool though either way.

If i recall correctly, the water color is caused by a chemical used to clean the fountain and to assure that no mosquitoes breed there. The very blue color is a pleasant side effect.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/wells-fargo-center-norfolk-gets-two-new-tenants

Wells Fargo adds two new tenants and is now 75% occupied.. with apartments under construction.

Let's fill this building up & get an announcement on a new office tower? Oh I wish..

I really hope we can get some good retail announcements too. CVS Pharmacy on that corner please?

Archived