Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the photos.. this Wells Fargo Center is completely changing our downtown for the better. It's amazing how a couple years ago, this part of downtown was just a large surface lot and an unattractive parking deck.. and its almost done being transformed into new housing, new offices, and new retail.. oh and not to mention a mass transit station! The Buffalo Wild Wings (which i dont like at all..) will bring people downtown and might even attract more retailers to the Wells Fargo Center.. Let's get that 24 hr pharmacy that we want! Monticello is definitely on the rise..

How long until the next office tower though? I'm greedy.

nice dude! Thanks for the pics....I need to get out and take some shots! Man if Norfolk could get the right leadership this could be a hell of a city....what we have is high school coaches competing in a pro league is all i have to say

I definitely agree. With the right leaders, Norfolk could be a major American city.. fit with everything we want and more..

Looking good, great pictures. Wells Fargo is changing the look of downtown. Monticello certainly looks much better viewing these pictures. I agree with rusthebus and his comments about leadership. Iv'e always liked Fraims nature, great guy and a solid mayor. Just waiting for him to take it to the next level. Now I see, he is what he is. A great guy(my opinion) and a solid mayor who wont mess Norfolk up but, wont do to much for unknown reasons to make it what Charlotte is and Raleigh is becoming and Atlanta and Miami have been for years. Heck, were not Baltimore level as well. Let's all just hope that light rail and Wells Fargo are the starts of greatness locally, lets be optimistic! LGNMshades.gifshades.gif

Varider, Im with you, not greedy like you,hahahaa but, waiting on the next high rise as well. Was supposed to be The Westin, hasn't paned out yet, it at all, fingers crossed on that one. That said, Norfolk needs 5 more high rises between 250ft.-400ft. and the skyline will drastically look more dense. Maybe a couple of higher ones at 40-50 stories, sounds like a dream but, in these buildings are what matters to me most, jobs/businesses. This would help the local economy via building them 1st, second the businesses in them etc., and change the way college kids and local high school students think of here career wise. Imagine more kids going to ODU/Hampton/William and Mary/NSU/Etc, staying here after college for jobs. That's the metro's untold biggest secret. The economy is mostly military and at the rate we keep losing ship building contracts and military staff/jobs/bases(trying to take Oceana and a ship we have to Florida) we need a more financially based downtown and Norfolk economy as well as the whole metro needs to diversify more into the non-government financial sector. The perception of what most think of cities is the cities skyline and downtown.

To me Minneapolis is boring, nice place and looks great and big downtown but, actually, this area Norfolk/Va Beach is more fun and better. Job wise? NO! that said, all other aspects we have Minneapolis, not in popularity and national name but, once you forget about the skyline and perception(Vikings,Timberwolves,Twins etc.,) of there and here, we have a nice area under or without the huge skyline to back our 1.7 million humans who live here(lots military)! I think Norfolk is 50-100 years away from a boom and it will take generations to repair what Urban renewal didnt do for Norfolk and the rest of the metro suffered due to it. I LOVE our area, good or bad though. Hope the best for its future.shades.gifshades.gif

So BWW is going to take up residence in that location? If so, that is major man....Can't say what that will do to Baxters, I've only been a few times, but I like what it has done for granby and our DT, I hope it does not take away from what they have done if BWW does hope in that location. Imagine how sweet that would have been if Jillians moved into that spot (providing it had the space). Ummm, Pharmacy, I'm not really there with you guys on that one. i think it is needed yes, but not on that plot of land. I would like to see a infill on granby with a two floor pharmacy, that would be pretty cool and different.

I agree with you guys, Wells Fargo has done a lot for that part of town and its major on our skyline. Now when I see DT skyline, I do not feel so bad about vb tc having a little skyline. The next lot should be the MacArthur mall and tie it all together to make mitcello the new focus. Some cool I hope...

I'm in Dallas right now, and it's been close to 7 years since I've been out here. And I must say, the skyline has grown at a massive rate in the 7 years since! The main skyline was already pretty large on one side of their freeway (Woodall Rodgers Freeway), but on the opposite side of that is like its own little downtown. I was extremely impressed; when driving through Sunday night I could barely believe it was the same city!

I see Norfolk doing something along those lines with all the construction, but obviously on a smaller level. VB is in the same boat. I think in the next 5-10 years, Norfolk will be the same way...

I would like to see a 24 hour pharmacy, but in another way I don't. I would hate to see MacArthur Pharmacy go out of business because of this.

And yes, the construction needs to migrate across the street to where that pathetic excuse of a park is next to the mall. Ground level shops and restaurant attached to the mall with 15 stories of apartments above would look great.

I know we are supposed to be pro-local business/ anti-chain but uhh... I could care less about the MacArthur Pharmacy.. what's the point of a pharamcy that closes at 5pm? I want a real pharmacy that I can walk into at 1am if I want to.. & i would be fine with a simple urban target or macy's or something across the street.. that lame excuse of a park is horrible.

i would be fine with a simple urban target or macy's or something across the street.. that lame excuse of a park is horrible.

Absolutely agreed on a store like a Target, fit into a space like the Farm Fresh on Boush St. IMO, that's one thing that makes Hampton's Town Center > Virginia Beach's. And there's only one Target in Norfolk, so I think putting one downtown could help close the gap in difference.

you are spot on with the target etc...

I just do not know if i want it on that land or not. I'm conflicted. But i noticed the other day, if I wanted to buy a router (which I needed to for an xmas present), i couldn't get on in DT, nor that section of town anywhere. An urban target, walmart or even bestbuy would do nicely there. It read an article a few months ago about walmart or target expanding in that urban market plan direction. The city should look into it. I'm actually kind of surprised that no one mention doing on like that at all. Smaller, useful, and definitely has a market...

That MacArthur Pharmacy probably has a deal with the city that no more competition than already exist, won't follow! I agree, I pharmacy located downtown should be open later and this is just a small example why our area isn't up to par with other metro areas nor city centers(downtowns) ! That mentality of 5pm closing is small town and trust me, were the minority but, we think more folks think like us locally. Not the case. How many times have we seen people complain about stop lights!!!! Stop lights folks!!!

Norfolk maybe at least 50 years away from becoming a strong city. There on the way but, to not have a pharmacy that is open till 8pm is ridiculous! The area may have added people and some buildings but, to me since I came back from the north, little at all has changed. Love Norfolk but, the mindset is to small town! Takes BIG city thinking 1st, then actions! LGNMshades.gifshades.gif

That MacArthur Pharmacy probably has a deal with the city that no more competition than already exist, won't follow! I agree, I pharmacy located downtown should be open later and this is just a small example why our area isn't up to par with other metro areas nor city centers(downtowns) ! That mentality of 5pm closing is small town and trust me, were the minority but, we think more folks think like us locally. Not the case. How many times have we seen people complain about stop lights!!!! Stop lights folks!!!

Norfolk maybe at least 50 years away from becoming a strong city. There on the way but, to not have a pharmacy that is open till 8pm is ridiculous! The area may have added people and some buildings but, to me since I came back from the north, little at all has changed. Love Norfolk but, the mindset is to small town! Takes BIG city thinking 1st, then actions! LGNMshades.gifshades.gif

Unless VB beats Norfolk to the punch and has a massive growth in its downtown in the next 30 years. If that happens, all the attention in that region is going to be where everything is shiny and new.

Good point urbanlife! Let's just hope the citizens of Va Beach dont complain about to much growth. In the past thats what has hindered this entire metro. Alot of locals don't like to much urban growth(we all do obviously)! Town center is prime real estate for growth and right of the interstate as well. Could be great! Pembroke Mall must go soon to fully take advantage of the land to expand the downtown of Va Beach on the other side of Va Beach Blvd! That said, back to Norfolk . I see the Wells Fargo project as a bridge to a expanded downtown. Maybe downtown will expand away from the water and closer to Ghent a bit more. I think that urbanizing Norfolk starts with light rail and projects like Wells Fargo and haven't seen it in a while but, all was coming along fine last I seen it! LGNMshades.gifshades.gif

The Wells Fargo Center WAS a major step for our downtown.. the first major office building with ground floor retail..

But like i said, I'm greedy.. I want another one.

That's what annoys me, every new building built in downtown should of had retail on the ground floor for the past 20 years. There has been more than enough evidence to show this works for downtowns for a really long time. Though there is always major renovations and a good number of the buildings in Norfolk could be renovated to include retail spaces along the first floors...but the city really needs to make that a mandatory thing for new buildings.

YEah, I agree VaRider. The retail factor is special for our city and metro. You know how its done, once its done more will follow. Maybe this will lead to other buildings in the future having retail with them included in future skyscrapers. Wait and see I guess! Wells Fargo as a building has a different flare about it than our other buildings downtown all together. Especially when looking at it from an eye view. Last I seen it I was impressed by it more than The Westin and all our recent projects locally from and eye view. I'd love to see more projects like it in the future. Construction has been a hassle but, worth it. LGNMshades.gifshades.gif

That's what annoys me, every new building built in downtown should of had retail on the ground floor for the past 20 years. There has been more than enough evidence to show this works for downtowns for a really long time. Though there is always major renovations and a good number of the buildings in Norfolk could be renovated to include retail spaces along the first floors...but the city really needs to make that a mandatory thing for new buildings.

existing buildings could be retrofit when the demand increases. For example, while I like the 'reading garden' at TCC's library, would that not make the perfect location for an outdoor cafe? Keep the trees, etc as is and put up some tables. Places like the side of the MacArthur South Garage could easily be remade to offer external storefront space. The old Targeted Publications building (between Granby and Monticello at Market) would make the perfect location for a Macy's. It is not a historic building (built in the 80s, i think). It could be demo'd and possibly the building next door. The new Macy's could offer storefront spaces on the ground floor. Its location would act as a third anchor for MacArthur Center. It would draw people out of the mall and toward Granby Street. Downtown would be greatly improved if we could get people to shop outside of the mall. I think the WFC is only a start and that it will lead to more innovative thinking DT.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Virginia/Norfolk/Monticello-Station-Apartments/156122

Looks like they are calling the apartment portion of the WFC.. Monticello Station Apartments (must be referencing the mass transit station)

NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS! CALL TODAY! BRAND NEW! OPENING SPRING 2011! Welcome to Monticello Station, downtown Norfolk's newest community. Living at Monticello Station you'll enjoy an unrivaled lifestyle with all the conveniences of downtown Norfolk at your doorstep including the new Tide light rail system. Our amazing location provides easy access to Norfolk's premier shopping, dining, entertainment, sports & performance venues including MacArthur Center, Norfolk Scope, Chrysler Hall, Nauticus, Harbor Park and Town Point Park. Residents will love the amenities listed below and will benefit from the maximum in comfort and convenience!

Here's the rent..

1 bedroom, 1 bathroom.. 852 sq. ft = $1325-1400

2 bedroom, 2 bathroom.. 1273 sq. ft= $1685- 1735

3 bedroom, 2 bathroom.. 1424 sq. ft= $1950-2200

Apartment110852$1325-1400Per MonthApartment2201273$1685-1735Per MonthApartment3201424$1950-2200Per Month

And again, the City of Norfolk completely drops the ball. Good luck filling these apartments, although they may get help from the military housing allowances. How's that Cosmopolitan at Town Center looking? They're going for the same rate...

That's a mortgage on a pretty decent house (I'd say mid-to-upper $200s). I'd take the mortgage any day of the week.

Archived