Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

So did apartment/retail construction start? I think I saw a crane over that way but I didn't get a chance to drive through to see exactly where it was, could of just been at the Arts Festival building.

When I walked by, there was something drilling on the lot near the parking garage, but the rest of the lot was empty pretty much

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone has seen it yet, but the Wells Fargo building is blasting colored lights at night out it's top floor. It's switching from Green to Blue to Red....looks pretty cool, reminds me of Charlotte's Bank of America HQ (at least a poor man's version).

35738307.jpg

35738321.jpg

35738314.jpg

It looks a lot cooler in person then the photos lead on... I just got a new camera and dont know what the heck I'm doing with it yet.

Not sure if anyone has seen it yet, but the Wells Fargo building is blasting colored lights at night out it's top floor. It's switching from Green to Blue to Red....looks pretty cool, reminds me of Charlotte's Bank of America HQ (at least a poor man's version).

It looks a lot cooler in person then the photos lead on... I just got a new camera and dont know what the heck I'm doing with it yet.

Was visible from the roof garage for Dicks at Town center, I should stop in Portsmouth and get a nice shot of Norfolk at night (if I dare risk it)

what a nice improvement to our "skyline." & ronsmytheii, can you actually see DT Norfolk from the Dick's garage.. or just the light from WFC?

you can see the roofs of the skyscrapers, but due to the trees and water towers you have to search ( cant see it at Westin)

I go to Portsmouth on the norm and trust me, its not as bad as it seems. Most folks from rough neighborhoods have beefs with people within those communities. And as in most cases in LIFE regardless of class or social economic standing most crimes are committed against people we know within our communities! The fear felt about Portsmouth is mainly fear due to not understanding or knowing folks in those communities. You would be surprised how many nice people live in even the so-called hood.

Iv'e been harassed more by the police in Va Beach on the Oceanfront and inVa Beach in general than I have been bothered in Youngs Park(were my Mom(birth mom) lives) or Tidewater Park were many cousins of mines live to this day by citizens of those communities. These days safety is almost a thing of the past anyway,heck crazy and evil doesnt have an address. HAHAHAHAHA!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

you can see the roofs of the skyscrapers, but due to the trees and water towers you have to search ( cant see it at Westin)

You can also see it better from the top of the Armada Hoffler building's parking garage, I think it's 9 floors up so you can see all of Norfolk's taller buildings. I much prefer that line of sight to that of Dick's.

There's a red crane on the site in front of the parking deck where the apartments/ retail are supposed to go.. but it's not the type of crane used to build the office tower or the TCC building... it's sitting on a truck? Is that what will build our retail/apartments..

There's a red crane on the site in front of the parking deck where the apartments/ retail are supposed to go.. but it's not the type of crane used to build the office tower or the TCC building... it's sitting on a truck? Is that what will build our retail/apartments..

I seen it yesterday too. Not sure what that is about..but i'm they build this, I'm starting to get worried. This section of the project is more important that the tower if you ask me. That is key to bring life to monticello...

• 2 weeks later...

The lights on this building are pretty neat. They seem to change colors often, its very Vegas style. I saw it turn from Pink to blue tonight. Norfolk needs more color in the sky.

Last few times I've been down there I haven't seen the colors. Anyone know what time they turn the lights on? I think last time I was down there around 8ish.

I guess I'm late, but I got all excited last night seeing the top of the Wells Fargo building. It's about time we got some architectural lighting up in this piece! I'm curious to know what technology they are using. I don't think it's LEDs, and part of it seemed to go out when it switched to blue. My guess is it's weatherized DMX-512 wash lights (Martin or High End or someone.)

Would like to know. Does anyone know who put them in?

I have some much lower end LED wash bars in the hacker space, they are fun :-) But $100 for every 3' and sections of the LEDs failing due to poor build quality.

4668628345_e9571faeaf.jpg

I noticed this the other night driving down City Hall Ave., but it appeared to be a white color. That's pretty awesome that it changes colors! Reminds me of the US Bank Tower in L.A., which changes colors for special occasions. Here it is for the Lakers during last year's NBA Finals...

800px-US_Bank_Tower_during_09_Finals.jpg

I guess I'm late, but I got all excited last night seeing the top of the Wells Fargo building. It's about time we got some architectural lighting up in this piece! I'm curious to know what technology they are using. I don't think it's LEDs, and part of it seemed to go out when it switched to blue. My guess is it's weatherized DMX-512 wash lights (Martin or High End or someone.)

I have some much lower end LED wash bars in the hacker space, they are fun :-) But $100 for every 3' and sections of the LEDs failing due to poor build quality.

4668628345_e9571faeaf.jpg

Nice, I'm really surprised they let them do that. You would think norfolk had some kind of rule or something that does not allow for that sort of thing.

Nice, I'm really surprised they let them do that. You would think norfolk had some kind of rule or something that does not allow for that sort of thing.

:lol: Funny you should mention that. That is exactly what I thought when I failed to see the lights that everyone else had. I just assumed that Norfolk made them turn the lights off.

Finally got to see them tonight. They were alternating between solid red, and red, white and green. I really hope the city lets them keep doing this. Just that little bit of color in the skyline makes a world of difference.

Article in the Pilot today.... Wells Fargo Center's first tenant moves in on Monday. Also, the Pilot reports that construction on the apartments/retail has begun and will be complete in about a year.

You can already see furniture on some of the top floors.

I took a tour of the building in early 2009, when they were just starting to install the precast concrete exterior walls to the concrete frame. At that tour, they told us about the lighting. I do not know what the technology is, but apparently the lighting was included in the original plans for the building. Presumable, when the city approved the plans, they would have approved the lighting as well, so it would be difficult for them to force WF to turn them off now.

Can you imagine ODU or NSU colors on that building during home football games? Or switching between VT and UVA colors as the lead changes during the big game?

Archived