Retail Downtown

GRDadof3

I agree that we need to draw people to downtown, but I think that it is different than a mall. It needs to operate differently, especially because of a different layout. There isn't the parking for one, also it is a different mentality. People go to a mall for different reasons than they go downtown.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree GRDad. I read that one of the reasons Urban House moved out to Cascade was to be closer to its client base. Now, that might not be the best example to use when fighting for downtown retail, but it is telling that people in the wealthier suburbs will shop downtown. I think they couldn't find enough people in the DDA's 1-2 mile target.

I bet you'd find plenty of people that support the shops on Cherry, Lake Drive, Fulton etc. are actually hip suburbanites. Anyone have first-hand knowledge of this?

Joe

I appreciate the discussion GR Dad, and I agree with you on just about everything. I just think that as far as a downtown goes Grand Rapids is still in a fledgeling phase and needs some more time. The situation is make or break right now, and many things needs to happen. All things said and done though, I see a bright future. Or I should probably say that I pray to God for a bright future.

I don't think BRT will. It probably won't in the near future even when BRT, really enhanced bus, is running down Division Ave. Not much difference in my opinion then what is already running on that route anyway.

I think the modern streetcar can enhance the environment, but not get people down there unless there is a connection service. If you want people to get to downtown by other means then the personal auto you have to make getting there an event. You need something that doesn't share the same vehicular environment (because they've seen that before,) something with a process, and most importantly something different. Just my observation.... I think you know where I'm hinting at. :thumbsup:

I agree with Scott Snyder about the need to get people to go downtown ("First get people downtown," Pulse, Feb. 22). There isn't a downtown in Grand Rapids.

Downtown is high-rise apartments, buildings and office buildings.

There aren't many department stores or drug stores. There's no beautiful window display at Christmas time.

Mass transit would be a wonderful idea, with buses leaving Hudsonville, Walker, Rockford and Cascade. A trolley downtown would be like the good old days. I know children would enjoy riding in a trolley.

Retail challenge of malls drives downtown changes

I saw this article and thought it was relevant to this discussion. Its a good article, its good to see so much push behind Portland's leaders to coordinate efforts to really push for downtown retailing and a mentality to compete with the local suburban malls. GR while not nearly as big as Portland, have already given up towards any competition to the area's malls.

"We're a bit embarrassed when we take relatives to our retail core," she said. "We hope it can get some momentum going."

I thought that quote was funny, I think Portland's retail is pretty good, hopefully she doesnt bring her relatives to downtown GR, but it does show that the residents of Portland aren't satisfied with the status-quo and want more.

Other then this forum, I don't see a public clamor for improved downtown retail from its potential customers, GR's civic leaders and so forth. I think there really needs to be a dramatic mental shift behind our leaders to really push for retail with new development. Build it and people will come!

Although, I would be interested to see how sales compare for Little Bohemia's downtown store compared to their Woodland store.

I know this is probably some sort of blasphemy here, but what if a Meijer or something like that opened downtown. It seems to draw a lot of people, and businesses to it. It would have to be modified for the enviornment and type of space....

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that a tiny town like Holland has a thriving retail market as does Saugatuck (awesome shops there) . . now, I know those are lakeshore towns but that's only for about 4 months . . .the rest of the year they manage to do well . . . .why can't grand rapids make a go of it?

How is it that a tiny town like Holland has a thriving retail market as does Saugatuck (awesome shops there) . . now, I know those are lakeshore towns but that's only for about 4 months . . .the rest of the year they manage to do well . . . .why can't grand rapids make a go of it?

There are a number of factors that have made Holland successful (one major one is patient, really patient, capital). Another one is parking, while everyone's image is of 8th street and it's angle parking, probably 90% plus of the stores have parking lots behind and significant back entrances. There are also extensive city parking lots and all of it is free to the consumer. Downtown business all pay an assessment to maintain the parking lots. Posted elsewhere on this site is a photo of a rather busy Farmer's Market. Just out of frame on either side of the picture is close to 300 parking spaces. Downtown Holland is highly dependent on drive in business and "easy" parking is a big part of it, though people still complain.

Archived