Retail Downtown

GRDadof3

They also note that they have free parking, which kind of annoyed me. :) Why not use meters like Donald Shoup suggests? It sounds like they have a good thing going, and perhaps as they build a little more housing density downtown they could create a small disincentive to driving by chargine $0.25/hour or something cheap for parking.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, kind of.

Now maybe this is a little off topic, but if i had small children, i'd be afraid to take them downtown sometimes, like when festivals and such are going on. I wouldn't want my kids to see teen's leading other teens around by leashes, girls dressed as boys, boys dressed as girls, heck, the whole goth thing creeps me out. It seems like the the whole of monroe mall is lined with them during these outdoor events, like Blues on the mall, festival, etc.

It's on topic and brings up my point I made before about perceptions. Whether it is parking, crime or social groups. That social group you mentoined is going to be seen downtown and its not just GR, but other cities too i.e. Chicago. I'm not directing this to you. There's a point where if you won't go downtown, because something simple is stopping you its simply that you just won't go period.

Now maybe this is a little off topic, but if i had small children, i'd be afraid to take them downtown sometimes, like when festivals and such are going on. I wouldn't want my kids to see teen's leading other teens around by leashes, girls dressed as boys, boys dressed as girls, heck, the whole goth thing creeps me out. It seems like the the whole of monroe mall is lined with them during these outdoor events, like Blues on the mall, festival, etc.

I don't mind exposing my kids to some of that stuff. It broadens their horizons, and it gives you examples as a parent to tell your kids "you are never wearing a skirt that short!" :w00t:

Kids are going to be exposed to different crowds, and in fact, my brother was a goth skateboarder artist and his friends were a lot cleaner (both drugs and booze) than a lot of the jocks and preps in our school. I'd rather my kids have green hair and be drug free.

This thread is going in circles now. Let's all agree that downtown GR's retail sucks and no one is doing anything to fix it, because no one can agree what would work. And we will see several more vacancies because no one is working to fix the problem. And yet downtown Sparta has a more retail downtown than GR's. All in favor, AYE! Motion carried.

This thread is going in circles now. Let's all agree that downtown GR's retail sucks and no one is doing anything to fix it, because no one can agree what would work. And we will see several more vacancies because no one is working to fix the problem. And yet downtown Sparta has a more retail downtown than GR's. All in favor, AYE! Motion carried.

Archived