>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually think this kind of move is a big positive for the city and its economy...

Positive 1:

The business was successful where is was...

Positive 2:

The downtown climate has improved to the point where a successful business views moving there as having the potential for growth for their business (imagine saying that about Richmond St about 5 or 10 years ago...)

Positive 3:

The article states that the building's new owners want to keep a food oriented business there...

Positive 4:

This therefore represents the opportunity for a new local small business owner to take a chance and open something in a location where a similar business was previously successful and supported by the neighborhood in good times and bad...

All upside as far as I can see...

- Garris

Greater City Providence Urbanism Blog

http://www.gcpvd.org

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda and a dollar buy you a bottle of water.

I think rather than complain about the way things are or should be it is better to know how to work within the current system to get what you want and help to push the system in a positive direction. Very rarely does action in government happen quickly and when it does it usually comes out more flawed than what was there in the first place.

I also find it curious that some are griping about not enough density but then fight to stop projects when density is proposed.

6th Annual WBNA Roll-the-Dice Party

Tuesday, March 31, 5-7 PM at Julians, 318 Broadway

The "Roll-the-Dice" Membership Kick-Off Party is held every year to welcome new WBNA members and honor all returning members renewing their WBNA memberships. Attendees will once again "roll-the-dice" to determine their cover charge. And of course, if you roll "snake eyes," admission is free. Free food and a cash bar will be provided.

There also will be a Carnival Wheel Game where you can win the following prizes:

$25 gift certificate to Sterling Cleaners

$50 gift certificate to Broadway Bistro

$50 gift card to Julians Restaurant

$60 valued limited edition Armory Centennial print by Pete Cardoso

Tickets are $5/each or 3 for $10. You must be present to win.

In addition, neighbors will be eligible to win the Mystery Door Prize OR to enter the raffle to win two Boston Red Sox Tickets for the Saturday night, 4/18, game against the Baltimore Orioles. Tickets are $10 each or 3 for $20. All proceeds from the event benefit the WBNA and its efforts to promote the West Side of Providence as a save, vibrant, and sustainable place to live, work, and play.

"Our Annual 'Roll-the-Dice' Kickoff is one of the WBNA's best events because it brings all our members together for an evening of camaraderie," said WBNA Executive Director Kari Lang. "Food, fun and drink at one of the West Side's great restaurants, make the Membership Kick-off one of our favorite events."

I actually think this kind of move is a big positive for the city and its economy...

Positive 1:

The business was successful where is was...

Positive 2:

The downtown climate has improved to the point where a successful business views moving there as having the potential for growth for their business (imagine saying that about Richmond St about 5 or 10 years ago...)

Positive 3:

The article states that the building's new owners want to keep a food oriented business there...

Positive 4:

This therefore represents the opportunity for a new local small business owner to take a chance and open something in a location where a similar business was previously successful and supported by the neighborhood in good times and bad...

All upside as far as I can see...

- Garris

Greater City Providence Urbanism Blog

http://www.gcpvd.org

I'm always the optimist, and I don't mean to sound negative, BUT: this all sounds great to those who don't live in the Arm0ry district. My dogs were both known by name at the Hudson St Market, and they often got scraps of meat there.... I will really miss having a place like that where I can walk one block and get the paper in the morning, get sandwiches before football on Sunday, or whatever other misc. items I may need. Sure there are two Spanish markets just as close, which I don't mind supporting and I even get to keep my Spanish fresh.... but they lack the personal quality that Hudson had, not to mention the sandwiches.

So while it's good for downtown that the business will move there, it's not good for our neighborhood. Let's just hope the sign on the door follows through on its promise of a cafe sometime this summer.

Also as a side-note, I'm wondering if the move downtown is more about sharing space with another business and thus cutting costs, rather than the downtown climate being better for new opportunity.... obviously I hope the latter is true in general, and that business downtown grows substantially in the next 5-10 years......

And if I'm understanding correctly it isnt really that the business is moving, but rather that they are just taking over the food counter at Jerky's. I'm really really bummed about it. I just hope someone opens a new market in their old space. I would be devastated if someone gutted it or did something like that. Its such a fantastic old corner store.

• 2 weeks later...

Olneyville Shines along the Fred Lippitt Woonasquatucket Greenway

Come out this Saturday! Enjoy a sunny spring day and help us reach our goal of 500 volunteers!

</IMG>The WRWC and community partners are hosting National and Global Youth Service Day.

Important tasks we will accomplish together:

• Create an entryway to Riverside Mills Park

• In-water clean-up (waders provided)

• Remove graffiti

• Build a fence

• Paint murals

• Mulch playground and picnic table areas

• Paint tables

• Collect litter

• Plant 350 plants and trees!

Please wear sneakers or boots, and long pants and long sleeves. Some tools will be provided, but feel free to bring your own. We'll provide lunch, t-shirts, and raffle prizes!

Contact Samantha Steinberg at (401) 808-2290 or [email protected] to register as a volunteer. Event Info:Saturday, April 25, 2009

9:00am - 2:00pm

Meet at: Riverside Mills Park, Aleppo Street, Olneyville

Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council

27 Sims Avenue

Providence, Rhode Island 02909

401-861-9046

• 2 weeks later...
I live in one of the other townhouses in the row, and my place has never been divided. I was surprised to hear how much this house went for, given that it's been subdivided so many times and probably has little in the way of original finishes left. It's a very good sign for the neighborhood; it shows that it's remained stable (and arguably kept improving) even in the face of a deep recession.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived