>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is somewhat OT, but do any of you fellow west enders know what the regulations are for the Historic District? I think my street (Harrison) and Hammond got added to the Historic District a few years back. Im looking to do some work on my house once my Refi comes through (Roof, Paint, replace rotted clapboards, new Storm Windows) and I was curious if I was restricted to particular colors or anything like that. I've searched a whole lot online and I can find any details.

This is somewhat OT, but do any of you fellow west enders know what the regulations are for the Historic District? I think my street (Harrison) and Hammond got added to the Historic District a few years back. Im looking to do some work on my house once my Refi comes through (Roof, Paint, replace rotted clapboards, new Storm Windows) and I was curious if I was restricted to particular colors or anything like that. I've searched a whole lot online and I can find any details.

In unrelated news - This AM it appears they are getting ready to pave the dirt lot on Westminster next to the new icecream shop to provide a proper parking lot. It sucks that its on Westminster, but at least it shows that they are putting some time and money into making it a workable space. It also looked like maybe they where putting in a deck? It might just be a handicap ramp or something, but a deck with some tables and chairs would be pretty rad. As it is I love going over to Dairy King, but the lack of anywhere to site kind of sucks. This would be a step in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed a couple interesting things going on this week -

1) People coming and going from the Lawton Movers building on Harrison St. There is also some small construction equipment on site.

2) Work going on inside US Gas - Looks like they are cleaning it out and have some scaffolding built inside.

Could these two things be related? Anyone know whats up?

The two aren't related. The Lawton building was sold back in May, and the 20 unit condo proposal that involved us gas was abandoned. The lift that is on the site is for some exterior brick stabilization/repointing work that will likely be ongoing over the next month or two. While plans are being developed to renovate the building, the only scheduled work on the building at this time is the brick work.

I meant to post something last week about this, but the former Hudson St. Market retail spot now has window decals that say "Hudson St. Delicatessen." Looks like they've been doing some painting and shuffling around of the counter layout over the past few months. I'm not sure when it opens, but I'll be there to check it out.

The two aren't related. The Lawton building was sold back in May, and the 20 unit condo proposal that involved us gas was abandoned. The lift that is on the site is for some exterior brick stabilization/repointing work that will likely be ongoing over the next month or two. While plans are being developed to renovate the building, the only scheduled work on the building at this time is the brick work.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Columbus Theatre has been shut...story I got was that some schmuck complained that the building was in disrepair when they were their during the Miss RI pageant and called the city to come in. In their usual ham fisted way, the city just shut them down instead of working with management to get things fixed. Owner had to cancel all his bookings..

it is a real loss for the neighborhood if this is permanent.

So the Columbus Theatre has been shut...story I got was that some schmuck complained that the building was in disrepair when they were their during the Miss RI pageant and called the city to come in. In their usual ham fisted way, the city just shut them down instead of working with management to get things fixed. Owner had to cancel all his bookings..

it is a real loss for the neighborhood if this is permanent.

Archived