>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not incredibly hard, but it takes time and money. You have to get surveyor to survey the property, filing fees and all that. A couple of business owners I have spoken to that have done it say the cost is anywhere from 3-5k. Thats a lot for businesses to shoulder. But the real killer is of course time. Every nice day without outdoor seating is a loss of revenue.

For the record I agree with you fully. The zoning for Broadway should be changed ASAP, it's really becoming one of the city's nicest streets and best mixed-use zones. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose was for the residential-professional zone in the first place when storefronts had already been built there a long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any insight into what's going on at the Hudson Market? Last few times I went in there for a sandwich, their shelves looked like a Soviet-era government grocery (.i.e.; not much there) and they were out of a number of bread and meat choices. I also see the building is for sale. On the plus side, they appear to have moved in a piano. Just wondering if I am going to have to search out a new, locally-owned sandwich place on the West Side.

Anyone have any insight into what's going on at the Hudson Market? Last few times I went in there for a sandwich, their shelves looked like a Soviet-era government grocery (.i.e.; not much there) and they were out of a number of bread and meat choices. I also see the building is for sale. On the plus side, they appear to have moved in a piano. Just wondering if I am going to have to search out a new, locally-owned sandwich place on the West Side.

So I got the scoop from one of the workers on what's going in on the ground floor of 300 Broadway this summer (the 2 1/2 story house between the Viola office bldg. and Sunoco): a pinata shop! :dontknow: Who knew that the pinata market was going gangbusters? Does this make any sense?!? Maybe the guy said pina colada shop . . .

At any rate, the space looks quite elegant - dark wainscoting, subtle color scheme on the walls, encased beam ceiling, simple light fixtures - you know, your typical pinata shop. :silly:

So I got the scoop from one of the workers on what's going in on the ground floor of 300 Broadway this summer (the 2 1/2 story house between the Viola office bldg. and Sunoco): a pinata shop! :dontknow: Who knew that the pinata market was going gangbusters? Does this make any sense?!? Maybe the guy said pina colada shop . . .

At any rate, the space looks quite elegant - dark wainscoting, subtle color scheme on the walls, encased beam ceiling, simple light fixtures - you know, your typical pinata shop. :silly:

I posted this in the "What are they building there" thread, but got no response - maybe no one has any info about this, but I figured I would post it here anyway...

Since about a month ago or so, there has been activity at the Carpenter Mills site on Carpenter St between Bridgham and Courtland. First I noticed newly-spread dirt on the east end of the site, as if something had been torn down (I can't remeber if anything was there, or maybe just the parking lot was torn up. I'll have to do another drive-by and then compare it to the Google Street View image.) Also, the mill building itself has work being done, it looks like some of the windows were removed and I've seen workers and a backhoe on site. Does anyone know what's going on here? Carpenter Mills

I posted this in the "What are they building there" thread, but got no response - maybe no one has any info about this, but I figured I would post it here anyway...

Since about a month ago or so, there has been activity at the Carpenter Mills site on Carpenter St between Bridgham and Courtland. First I noticed newly-spread dirt on the east end of the site, as if something had been torn down (I can't remeber if anything was there, or maybe just the parking lot was torn up. I'll have to do another drive-by and then compare it to the Google Street View image.) Also, the mill building itself has work being done, it looks like some of the windows were removed and I've seen workers and a backhoe on site. Does anyone know what's going on here? Carpenter Mills

I believe condos or live/work spots. On the east end of the site they tore down 1 or 2 houses to meet the required parking, so it is residential. The houses were not anything special, but something about tearing down housing for parking bothers me a bit. Still, if the project is good...

I am cautious about this, as the building is not protected and they could dryvit over that brick if they want to. I am hoping they reinstall some windows on the first floor and plant some trees, that strip of carpenter is barren.

I believe condos or live/work spots. On the east end of the site they tore down 1 or 2 houses to meet the required parking, so it is residential. The houses were not anything special, but something about tearing down housing for parking bothers me a bit. Still, if the project is good...

So I hopped on the Woons Bike Path thing in Johnston and decided to explore around this new path.. I'm impressed.. Theres all kind of cut ins, like on greenville ave, then Buttonhole Golf Course, Manton Ave, and my personal fave Manton Hieghts/Curtis Arms Projects (which, by the way, is a hilarious name for a complex.. Its like an adverticement for semi-automatic weapons AND affordable housing!! Multitasking, how nice!)..

Its pretty well kept, and they have done a nice job removing graffiti.. I only saw like 3 guys on motorized mini bikes, the rest were well to do patrons.. Quite a few actually..

You also roll past the new playground (completely being put to use) and low income houses by Riverside and that flea market mills.. Happy to say that those houses appear to be a successful housing complex of the new millenium; inocuous houses that appear no different than any other 1920s period house to the layman (I'm sure some of you design freaks and architects can tell, but Average Joe Providence can't)..

I will concede that after the flea market it got a little dicey for a while, and I'm used to the area.. You bike past the flea mkt to the former Price-Rite and current tumbleweed corral, and then my personal favorite, take a left on DELAINE STREET.. Which is humorous to me, because its prositute central.. After deflecting cat calls and competetive offers from the prostitutes (Wal-mart driving down rates?), you head past Cuban Revolution, which ends the dicey portion..

You then travel down Valley past Rising Sun, and down Tuxedo, then through Eagle Square, down The Promenade, and then the path inexplicably ends @ the Prov Place Mall..

This needs to be extended, maybe up the other river there past the Citizens Building... Its too short, only like 3 miles.. But very enjoyable.. I then rode over to Waterplace Park, which I had never seen @ day time and not strewn with thousands of people.. Very nice... If we could extend this like 10 miles it would be awesome

• 2 weeks later...

Archived