>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update: the former Victor Frame company next to B Sharp is becoming a bike shop - "Dash". I can't remember if this was the name of the bike shop that used to be next door to Nick's, or if it's a new one. Also, the pinata shop on Broadway looks just about ready to open.

Hopefully they can rebuild it. It's certainly possible. The Chabad House on the East Side at the corner of Olney and Hope Streets was badly burned two years ago. Luckily, it appears that the repairs and rebuilding of this property is almost complete, and hopefully, whoever owns this property will seek the same remedy.

Hopefully they can rebuild it. It's certainly possible. The Chabad House on the East Side at the corner of Olney and Hope Streets was badly burned two years ago. Luckily, it appears that the repairs and rebuilding of this property is almost complete, and hopefully, whoever owns this property will seek the same remedy.

Its a decent corner that would benefit from a redo. All the houses on that block of Bridgham between Westmin and Carpenter are pretty crappy at the other end of the block a house fell into foreclosure and has all the wondows knocked out.

Bulldoze the whole block and start over. With Carpenter Mills under renovation a half block away, it would be nice to build some quality buildings/housing with services here.

The fire at Tropical seems pretty shady...

Its a decent corner that would benefit from a redo. All the houses on that block of Bridgham between Westmin and Carpenter are pretty crappy at the other end of the block a house fell into foreclosure and has all the wondows knocked out.

Bulldoze the whole block and start over. With Carpenter Mills under renovation a half block away, it would be nice to build some quality buildings/housing with services here.

Urban renewal anyone? :rolleyes:

I agree they don't look like much but given the choice between that and a trash-strewn lot with weeds, I'll take those buildings any day. Hopefully the building will be secured and eventually rehabbed.

I dont believe I was saying anything about a trash strewn lot. I would like to see the whole block rehabbed though.

Personally I think Tropical Market was an eyesore. Dirty inside and out. I hope someone takes the opportunity. Still, I would prefer to have it operating as a viable business than some bombed out building.

No you didn't say anything about a trash-strewn lot and I would also prefer to see it in good repair and fully functional, but do you believe that demoing the block will lead to redevelopment in the near future? With the number of vacant lots on the West Side, I don't see that site being redeveloped any time soon.

The fire at Tropical seems pretty shady...

Bulldozing the whole block - are you serious? Do you realize what the zoning would produce in its place.

Zoning is the real topic that needs to be addressed in Providence.

Example: Olneyville (and there are more examples than this one). In the 90s much of the neighborhood was empty lots. The zoning designated most of the neighborhood as a "Residential High-density" district. The city planning folks were baffled and blamed non-profit organizations for building only single- or two-family houses, where more density was permitted. True, the non-profits may have been part of the problem, but when you try to fit a building onto a lot and comply the the building setbacks, height restrictions, and parking standards (not to mention ADA requirements), the best you can do is a two story, two-family house with a big driveway on one side. And, don't even think about aesthetics.

Why in a city that was built with mostly 30 to 35 foot wide lots, the minimum standard now is 50 foot. How do you do in-fill with that. It's nearly impossible to build a three decker anywhere in the city unless you own a double lot or comply with the setbacks and create awkwardly narrow less-usable building. The current zoning, especially in residential and commercial zones is slowly transforming the city into a substandard urban suburb. With all the current hype of using "authentic materials" in Providence, there seems to be a complete lack of understanding of how to set the foundation to create an "authentic city."

Now the city is considering down-zoning Olneyville to comply with the new built environment. How is this planning? It's more like reacting.

Why in a city that was built with mostly 30 to 35 foot wide lots, the minimum standard now is 50 foot. How do you do in-fill with that. It's nearly impossible to build a three decker anywhere in the city unless you own a double lot or comply with the setbacks and create awkwardly narrow less-usable building. The current zoning, especially in residential and commercial zones is slowly transforming the city into a substandard urban suburb. With all the current hype of using "authentic materials" in Providence, there seems to be a complete lack of understanding of how to set the foundation to create an "authentic city."

Now the city is considering down-zoning Olneyville to comply with the new built environment. How is this planning? It's more like reacting.

Hmm - I wasn't aware of that change in the minimum standard. But you've raised an important point - the city is mandating new development that doesn't fit in with the existing fabric. What's driving that? It doesn't make any sense - I thought we were supposed to be a dense urban environment with 0 lot lines. Is this a recent change?

I guess that helps explain why there's a seemingly never-ending stream of variance requests and why new development stands out like a sore thumb. Ridiculous.

Okay, I'm going to break a bit from the subject here, and say:

Maybe I missed something while I was hibernating over the winter, and not reading urbanplanet as much, but what the f**k happened to the Hudson Street Market? I mean, clearly someone bought the building and kicked them out, but when did that happen? I'm pissed as hell about it. It was yet another sustainable business that had been in the neighborhood through both the good and bad times, that we've now lost.

Do you realize that the subject property that started all of this conversation is zoned Commercial and also lies within the West Side Overlay District (See section 506). While this is not the perfect compromise to standard residential zoning it does allow for

Zero lot line setbacks

Requires commercial / Residential on the ground floor

No maximum lot coverage reuirements

Well yes, but everyone else does raise a very good set of points that desperately need to be addressed.

I also agree 100% that all of these issues should have been raised a long time ago. Luckily, by the time the 5 year plan is complete, it won't be long until the next one is due to be drafted.

Okay, I'm going to break a bit from the subject here, and say:

Maybe I missed something while I was hibernating over the winter, and not reading urbanplanet as much, but what the f**k happened to the Hudson Street Market? I mean, clearly someone bought the building and kicked them out, but when did that happen? I'm pissed as hell about it. It was yet another sustainable business that had been in the neighborhood through both the good and bad times, that we've now lost.

Archived