Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

A couple random updates: the interior of the building at Church and Dunbar is being worked on heavily.  I presume they're upfitting it completely.  We're actually accumulating several renovated spaces DT, now we just need some tenants.  Anyone got a business idea?

ch.JPG.23d15305b5c3ed33323b9b5857ac6d0b.

Stucco work on the Wall Street side of the old Carolina Gallery is coming along.  I wonder if they'll repaint it when they're done, and what color?  I'd like something bright; we have too many beige/brown buildings.

cg.JPG.c099f85eb3f1ae116006b3ccc39336ee.

Finally, what they're putting in on the ground floor of the City View apartments doesn't look like windows.  I thought they were putting units there.  Maybe just the top portion will be windows, so people can't stare in while walking by?  Interested to see how this ends up.

cv.JPG.52bb40733885bf86f229b5a427e2f14f.

• 2 weeks later...

At Dickens of a Christmas tonight, I noticed a window sign for "Archived Clothing + Gifts" at 147 East Main (Bijou building).  Looked it up, it's a women's boutique clothing store that has been online-only so far.  Their FB page says that the store opens December 10.  Good to see this spot filled.  Still wish we could get a restaurant up on East Main, though...

• 2 weeks later...

You may have seen the H-J article yesterday covering several DT developments / renovations.  Nothing new really.  The 2 buildings at the corner of Wall Street are being renovated, but no tenants yet.  The article also mentions the AC Hotel, the Co-op, and the new Miyako's.  Anyone have any insights or updates?  I know this is a slow time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

The storefronts at Church and Dunbar continue their slow renovation process.  This weekend I saw that there's framework for entrances now.  The triangular corner segment is currently being used by LIT Coffee for a pop-up stand (which is cool; they hope to eventually expand to a permanent location).  I'm not sure what the space can be used for long term, since it's tiny and seems to have no connection to the larger two spaces.  Anyway, here are some photos (check out the tin ceiling!):

WP_20151225_003.thumb.jpg.730076221915ea

WP_20151225_007.thumb.jpg.f842c5666b072cWP_20151225_009.thumb.jpg.1452b74b1eff15

I spoke to the guys who own Lit Coffee. (Very cool guys who serve exceptional coffee, by the way.) Their goal right now is to expand into the space immediately adjacent to the popup space they are currently using. They hope to make that one big space, I guess by knocking the wall down in between the two. They would add some easy breakfast foods (bagels, etc) and snacks to their coffee lineup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmation in the H-J that the burned-out building shell next to Lime Leaf was bought by local businessmen John Bauknight and Andrew Babb on Dec. 28 from local developer Royce Camp for $160,000.  They don't have any immediate plans, they just wanted to secure ownership of the building.  Good to have it in the hands of people who are more than capable of developing it in the future, though.  Plus it gives Royce Camp some cash he can use for his planned project.

(I feel like this building would be a perfect spot for a rooftop bar overlooking Morgan Square.)

Well, just like the articles said, the building is being demolished.  It's not particularly architecturally significant, but it's still a bummer to lose a building that old.  Naming the rooftop bar "Bar 1884" after demolishing the building is a bit odd. (seems Charlotte-esque)

demo.thumb.JPG.1c0d762bf4b96cf6200e041cd

On the plus side, looks like the stone building on Morgan Square has finally sold!  It has a lot of potential and could accommodate multiple tenants (it includes the small pink building on Wall St).  Hope to hear something soon.  We could potentially have every building on Morgan Square occupied this year!

stonesold.JPG.5d2514fdfd8ca9bc0769fdd7b1

• 2 weeks later...

More info on the stone building (141-143 West Main) I mentioned a few posts up.  It sold to local businessman Corry Oakes.  He plans to renovate the 10,000 square foot building with apartments on top and retail/restaurant space below (as you would expect).  No tenants are lined up yet.  Great to see another historic building on Morgan Square renovated for reuse!

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

I have to say that the HJ picked a very misleading title for that article. To me, "redeveloped" means "tear down and build something else" whereas "renovated" means "rehabilitate the existing building"

I'm glad to see this happening though. More apartments are always good, and retail will eventually find its way there. I would love to see and old school diner where you can get good, cheap breakfast (like Papa Sams, but smaller)

There is an interesting article about parking in downtown in the HJ today. I agree parking is important, but I've never felt like it was an issue. There has always been an easy place to park within a block or two of where I need to go. Right now I'd say the problem borders on oversupply, specifically in surface parking lots.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20160305/ARTICLES/160309833/1083/ARTICLES?p=3&tc=pg

• 3 weeks later...

Parking on the square is nearly non-existent during weekdays, Saturdays, and on nice evenings. Still, I agree with Spartan, I don't see parking as an issue.  The decks are convenient, safe, clean, and almost always have spaces.  I use them all the time and feel perfectly comfortable doing so. 

But a nice, new (and attractive) deck on the westside of downtown will be required, I think, as the development continues to gravitate in that direction. 

• Like 1

I was in town last weekend for Easter, and I had a chance to drive downtown and explore a little. Maybe it's because I'm not there on a daily basis, but the momentum really feels like its picking up. The five blocks or so between Converse and the railroad are really starting to gel. The project to straighten out Main Street makes that block feel like a normal city street. People seem to be parallel parking just fine, and there appeared to be some new (or at least new to me) businesses on the east end of Main, and a bunch of people out walking around.

Morgan Square had its normal Saturday afternoon activity level, Hub City Coffee and the bookstore had decent crowds, and RJ Rocks/Cribbs were packed too. The "Grain District" is doing a decent job of maintaining a distinct feel from the rest of downtown. It's not much now in terms of area, but over time it could expand in a cool way. There wasn't much activity on Wall St, but just having it look and feel the way it does its a huge improvement.

I noticed that King St was renamed to 'Honorary Teeter Way.' Does anyone know if that's supposed to replace 'King St' ? I ask because they took the sign down rather than adding a separate sign for the street.

I think the AC Hotel is really going to be a game changer. Probably at the level that the Marriott was supposed to be - more like the original Hyatt was for Greenville. The fact that we'll have that many people, right on the edge of Morgan Square and an attractive building is going to really change the vibe there in a good way.

Last but not least, RJ Rockers closes at 6pm on Saturday, which has to be the dumbest idea ever. They really need to stay open later like a normal brewery (ie 9-10pm). Because of that, I ended up over at Hub City Taphouse / Ciclops. That place is awesome. I do wish it was a little closer to Main St, but it's still a great place. It reminds me of something that you'd see here in Charlotte. I'll definitely be a repeat customer there.

• Like 3

I've been on the road a lot this year and haven't spent much time downtown.   However, last Wednesday evening I had dinner with friends at a Morgan Square restaurant.  Gotta say the pedestrian traffic was pretty amazing for midweek and the restaurants, while not full, were busy.       

• 2 weeks later...

So I found some plans for a renovation of the Water System admin building/site.  Not too exciting: just interior renovations, adding more parking (ugh), and building a new entryway/fountain.  I have to say, I like the modern steel/glass sculpture that will be the fountain's centerpiece (design from artists' FB page & artists' other work).

I honestly wish the Water System would consolidate into a new ~4-story building at the corner of Liberty & Commerce (current parking lot), have employees park in the Dunbar deck & customers on the street, and sell off the rest of their "campus" for private development.

Edited by westsider28