Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

3 hours ago, Prankster said:

Now there’s some optimism for you

I'm guessing they were grabbing some government grant money before it disappeared.  I just happened to be at the airport today for the first time in a long time around noon and saw signs of construction going on immediately to the east of the ticket area with a white tent outside apparently for the ground breaking ceremony (not sure if I was there before or after the event.)  Couldn't figure out what they were up to.  The place was really dead inside, only a small handful of people in the terminal when I was there.

Here's their official press release:

GRR Press Release 09-16-2020 

5 hours ago, egrguy said:

By the time it opens we could be close to pre-covid. TSA hit 900,000 + passengers for the first time in September (twice). I think it's a smart move to keep going on these types of projects.

So is this not accurate:  https://liveandletsfly.com/southwest-airlines-business-travel/ 
"I wouldn’t be surprised to see business travel languish for a decade before it gets back to 2019 levels"

I'm sure he's more in tune with air travel than I am as a casual observer. But, it does serve him to be on the pessimist side and if he's right, he planned accordingly and if things get better faster than that's a welcome bonus. 

For this expansion to grow GRR's ability to host  international travel, I thought a lot of that was Mexico/carribean focused, which would be more tourist based than business. I thought I read a 2022 completion date and by then I believe that personal travel will be close to where it was pre covid. 

Overall, I still think this expansion is great and will be ready to serve GRR growth for the coming decade.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://mibiz.com/sections/economic-development/gr-airport-traffic-rebounds-though-business-travel-and-stimulus-concerns-loom

They noted 138,000 passengers in August 2020. Overall trending about 50% from last year.  I've flown for leisure/but not business, and its pretty wild seeing the airport at 50% of what it was a year ago. Seems empty.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, deja vu said:

As part of the Grand Rapids Community Legends Project, a new statue of President Ford was unveiled Friday Morning, along with the dedication of the new Presidential Gateway Plaza at the airport.

Source: LinkedIn | GRR Airport

My first thought was - where are the masks?  But they answered it in the LinkedIn link:

Please note: Masks were worn for the duration of the ceremony. We briefly paused for a non-masked photo opportunity.

( although I don't see any masks in anyone's hands or faces in the other photos they posted either.)

22 hours ago, walker said:

My first thought was - where are the masks?  But they answered it in the LinkedIn link:

Please note: Masks were worn for the duration of the ceremony. We briefly paused for a non-masked photo opportunity.

( although I don't see any masks in anyone's hands or faces in the other photos they posted either.)

OK, CORRECTION - WOODTV video of the event shows a few people mingling around holding masks and some even wearing them:  

WOODTV: statue-of-president-gerald-ford-unveiled-at-airport

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, egrguy said:

Per the airport's Instagram an existing carrier is adding 2 new flights. Impressive to see route growth during the pandemic. There were some guesses for SLC, LAX, and Stl. SLC would be delta. I'd be happy with anything to make west coast travel easier.

I read in WSJ that southwest is expanding rapidly during the pandemic. Wonder if it’ll be them?

Joe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

Unfortunately it looks like Allegiant dropped New Orleans! well at least I cant find it on their site right now. That was a great January get away 

Dang. That one hits hard. That was the last flight I took back in March, Allegiant direct to NOLA. Hopefully they boot it up again, because that is one of my favorite winter get-aways.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...