The Orlando Magic Thread

bic

Um, perhaps I am missing the sarcasm, but Grant Hill remains one of the classier players in the league. The Magic could only hope to one day have him on teh sideline calling plays.

No, I don't think you are missing the sarcasm.... I think it's genuine bitterness. Which is unfortunate, because you are right, Hill is one of the classiest guys around. It's not like he bolted for big bucks, etc., like most athletes do. He left because he wants a championship. And he knows he has a very limited window left in which that might happen for him, and it wasn't going to happen in Orlando. It's unfortunate, yes. But it is what it is. I, for one, wish him luck.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, as Lebron James continues his growth in the league and becomes a better all around player he will spread defenses out, helping to create oppotunities for others. Howard on the other hand, in the Brian Hill offense tends to crash defenders to the paint. Great for perimeter players but big men very rarely materialize into passers.

The Magic need a pure shooter. Someone who makes teams pay for the double and triple teams on Howard. That guy hasn't arrived yet. A center would be great as well, I think we tend to forget that Howard on any other team is a power forward.

Just my $.02

We just need Darko back in a very bad way.. to be a possible title contender. Rashard is not a super star. But hopefully he can develop into a greater player in Orlando with Dwgith present to creat a Dwight-Rashard relationship. Same as Dwayne Wade + Shaq in miami but our "Shaq" is a lot more younger. Go Ron Jeremy.

We just need Darko back in a very bad way.. to be a possible title contender. Rashard is not a super star. But hopefully he can develop into a greater player in Orlando with Dwgith present to creat a Dwight-Rashard relationship. Same as Dwayne Wade + Shaq in miami but our "Shaq" is a lot more younger. Go Ron Jeremy.

I ll say it again Grant Hill has no Classs, He is a typical NBA thug a sell out.

GHill can go and sit on the suns bench, they will not get passed San antonio or Dallas next year.

Orlando may have a chance in the east:

They should sign Millic, trade him with other players to Memphis for Gasol. Gasol would probably influence Fran Vazquez to play for the Magic in two years or next year.

Then try to Artest, he only has one year on his contract. If it doesnt work out then let him go.

Dwight

Gausol

Lewis

Nelson

Artest

Bench JJ Redick, Dooling, Ariza, Battie, Fran Vazquez?

No.

I'm not happy with Grant Hill but he is not a thug. He's not really a sellout either since the money would have been about the same if not more if he chose to stay in Orlando-- or could have gone elsewhere for more than he's getting in Phoenix.

We're not getting Artest. A sign-and-trade will be performed to bring Rashard here, allowing us to sign Darko. The Magic will buy out Fran Vazquez and bring him to Orlando by the start of next season.

While Gasol would be a nice player to have, we will not need him by the end of the summer and will instead use the assets we already have in trades to acquire a back-up big and swing man.

Book it.

According to Carlos, Rashard Lewis is not the only one we bring to the magic, he said on a spanish interview that Otis is going to bring in someone with a lot of fire power. I am guessing Fran. I dont want Artest here in the Magic. We have enough crimes in Orlando.

In case you guys haven't heard, here's a rundown of what happened today in the NBA, the first official day of free agency:

-The Orlando Magic acquired Rashard Lewis from Seattle in a sign and trade. The Magic gave up a future 2nd round pick and will take on Rashard's 6-year $126.4 million contract.

-Darko Milicic agreed to a 3-year deal with the Memphis Grizzlies for what his agent called "substantially more than the $5.3 million mid-level exception."

-Grant Hill signed a 2-year contract with the Phoenix Suns.

-Gerald Wallace agreed to a 6-year $57 million contract with the Charlotte Bobcats.

<sigh>

We truly have the worst mangement in the NBA. 126 million? That is flat out rediculous. The story goes that he gets hurt during the preseason and folds towels for the next six years. Great. I suppose that Otis Smith's sub par basketball skills has given him a slanted view on what a good player actually looks like.

Further, how (drjnieto) can you call Grant Hill a sell out, and in the same sentence say that the Magic should sign Vasquez; who by the way told the Magic to go to hell when they drafted him.

Grant Hill did what he had to do. There is not a single person reading this post that wouldn't opt to go work for a new boss if a) you were in a no win situation and b) the money was better somewhere else. Wouldn't happen.

126 mill for a second round pick is a lot. we will know if he is worth it at the end of the year.

R we a better team now after 126 mil? If we have Darko, yes, now, we dont have darko....a question mark.

this aquisition puts the magic, without question, into the playoffs. does it make us a title contender, no. we are lacking another big man. it was reported that diener and outlaw will not be returning (thank god) so maybe now the magic will be able to pick up someone else, but it is unlikely. also, with having ewing as an assistant coach, i'd imagine that his presence will help get the attention of another big man, but i'd imagine that his focus will be howard.

$126.4 million maybe overpaying for Rashard, but the Magic HAD to do it. They gave him a max contract. He is only 27 and entering his prime. He is the best player in free agency this year and ills the biggest need that the Magic have- a proven scorer. If the Magic didn't pay him the max, someone else would have. Then they would look absolutely foolish when they ended up with nothing.

I am relieved they let Milicic go. It would have been nice if they got him for around $5-6mil a year, but anything more than that is overpaying. The guy showed no intensity or heart and that makes him a HUGE question mark. The Magic did the right thing and let another team overpay for him.

I hope you are right about the into playoff thing. If we have Darko, Dwight and Lewis in the front court, I would agree that we are in the playoff but now I am not sure.

We lose our second best player, Grant Hill. If we start Lewis, JJ, Dwight, Jameer and whoever else. The only person that can defense is Dwight. This is just opposite from last year problem where we score thru Dwight Howard. Now the problem shift to the other end of the court. Darko on the other hand can do both.

Lets not forget that we slip into the playoff last year beacause of injuries on other team such as Michael Red from Bucks, Bosch from Celtics, Dwayne Wade and the melt down of the Pacers.

I do hope we can go to at least the second round this year.

I know this goes back to an old argument, but when Shaq was heading into his prime, we weren't willing to pay him that much and the Lakers got their rings and Miami got a ring out of it. Orlando got what they deserved... squat. Now they are going to pay even more money to someone that does not influence a game as much as Shaq.

• 1 month later...

Archived