2030 Transit Plan

monsoon

Diane Whitacre always seemed to be positive about everything, but it wasn't really tough reporting. Richard Rubin seemed to try to be a harder hitting reporter, but that usually meant being negative on everything a whino times writer. He rarely tried to be balanced, and rarely tried to report on facts that were supportive of transit. I went to similar meetings as him, and he'd report slantedly on all the negatives about transit, and skeptically of the postives.

I have a feeling that the Observer managers have sensed a shift right in the population and will attempt to match that with another anti-transit Dr. Traffic.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just caught wind of this group of people trying to deceatfully repeal the transit tax for the Charlotte area and it amazes me how ignorant this people are to the importance and greater long-term impact a rail system will have for Charlotte. I bet it's safe to say that some or a majority of this people have never lived in a city that has a great and well used rail system and used and experienced it. If they had, I don't see how they could question all the benefits a rail system brings to a metropolitan area. I live in the bay area close to San Francisco and the rail system here is outstanding to say the least. The rail system includeds multiple types of trains and lines stretching from San Francisco to San Jose to Oakland and beyond with stations in every city in between. I live about six blocks from a train station that I can walk or ride my bike to ( trains here have one or two cars each that you can bring a bicycle on board if you like, giving you even more options getting to and after leaving a train station ) which I use fairly often. The system is used by thousands of people every day, sometimes I board and it's standing room only. This area has it's share of car traffic problems like any large metropolis, but I can only imagine how much more worse it would be if there was not a rail system at all and the thousands of people that currently use it were driving cars instead, not to mention the increase in polution from the additional use of thousands of cars each day. If Charlotte wishes to become more recognized and visited on a national and even international level, a fully functioning and well planned transit system is part of the answer to achive this. Hopefully people in Charlotte who recognize this will rise up and do whats necessary to show that this ill-concieved and unthought-out attempt to derail the transit system is stupid and a waste of time. On a side note, if I ever decide to relocate back to Charlotte in the future, one of the reasons I would consider would be if there was a transit system in place ( mainly a rail system ) as part of my decision. I'm sure other people considering relocating here in the future are also thinking the same thing. Hopefully this will backfire and the tax will be increased another 1/2 percent and speed this up even more so.

If Charlotte wishes to become more recognized and visited on a national and even international level, a fully functioning and well planned transit system is part of the answer to achive this. Hopefully people in Charlotte who recognize this will rise up and do whats necessary to show that this ill-concieved and unthought-out attempt to derail the transit system is stupid and a waste of time. On a side note, if I ever decide to relocate back to Charlotte in the future, one of the reasons I would consider would be if there was a transit system in place ( mainly a rail system ) as part of my decision. I'm sure other people considering relocating here in the future are also thinking the same thing. Hopefully this will backfire and the tax will be increased another 1/2 percent and speed this up even more so.

I think having a transit system and good urban landscape, will be critical in attracting people to the region, especially the so called "creative class". I won't name names, but a certain so called transportation "expert" who works for the John Locke Foundation, who was my professor argued constantly against transit saying it's not efficient and doesn't carry the amount of people a highway does, and even put down the DC Metro, saying it only carried 10% or something. Although that maybe true, imagine the DC area without the Metro, and how many extra cars would be one the road making traffic worse. They never mention the development or urban redevelopment rail lines spur, nor do they ever give a real solution to the problem... go figure :rolleyes:

^Indeed. You will never find these people in a forum or situation where they actually have to respond to questions and followups. Instead they will cite nonsensical facts that don't address the topic at hand but do detract from the fact they don't know what they are talking about. Unfortunately our media, which is dominated by fairly clueless talking heads, never holds them to task on this subject because the don't understand it and/or they are being told to focus on ratings.

Don't know if anyone caught this in the O this morning, but here ya' go. Public Enemy Number One, Jay Morrison!

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/62793.html

I would point out that Jay Morrison is living way out in the burbs on a cul-de-sac! In the article it claims he is driving a Prius which I find kind of ironic considering his anti transit stance with respect to the Light Rail System. Add to that the simple fact that this moron does not even need transit since he essentially is a self made millionaire that does not have to go through the pain of rush hour. His claims are that the monies should be redirected to the school system (kind of funny, since he is considering running for the School Board <_< ). What I find so irritating, is that the this guy, along with all the other anti- transit nuts, hang their argument on the lack of Urban density in Charlotte. They claim Charlotte is not dense enough to expolre the options of rail! Well duh, you f***ing smart ass, that is what we are trying to encourage, instead of promoting more suburban sprawl, simply eating up tons more of beautiful Nortch Carolina countryside!

Rail helps direct TOD development, and curbs growth 10,20, and 30+ miles out from the core of a city. Assholes like Morrison love to live outside of the Urban landscape and enjoy their F****ing Prius cars to put around in, all the while sticking it up the ass of those seeking to truly make a life in an Urban landscape using Transit to avoid developing more Green space that you (Morrison) find so wonderful to plop your million dollar McMansion on. You ass, you hypocrite, you fu**ing Bufoon! You are the reason that I want to move from Charlotte.There is too much nonsense running amuck in the media outlets, and too many assholes trying to distort the REAL truth behind why we NEED the Transit dollars we have, and in fact, need more to encourage "smart TOD growth" and help save an environment that idiots like Morrison are intent on destroying. Well as long as A2 has breath in his body, it is my goal to derail (pun intended) arguments by misinformed, confused souls such as Morrison. The guy has more money than sense and that is a dangerous combination!!!

(Ok somebody might need to stop me, since I am about as pissed off as one can get on a Message Board without getting banned)

We seriously need to take back our city folks, otherwise we will be left with idiots such as Morrision running the city with loose policies that encourage sprawl and waste OUR money on their own agendas!!!!

:angry:

A2

edit: fixed link

Ahh this must have been the fellow with the bucks that payed to air on TV that smear campaign against Charlotte Gays & Lesbians that Puckett and other GOP county commissioners ran last November. I have to wonder why there are so many people like this in the world that are so short sighted they can't even see the end of their nose. Hopefully his dishonest anti-Transit campaign will have the same results that his effort to gain a GOP majority on the county board did.

According to the Observer article, Mr. Morrison was charged with misdemeaner battery for spitting in his boss' face during an argument. The charges were dismissed because he agreed to pay her restitution. Kudos to the Observer for outing this guy.

What a bitter, insignificant man.

Anyway, this week's CBJ has a whole front-page article dedicated to the moronic rhetoric of Hartgen. He rates NC cities on their prepardeness for future congestion, and the best I could tell, the ratings are inversely related to the amount of money spent on transit. The fact that the CBJ wasted the paper to print this drivel was annoying to me (as a paid subscriber). They did mention that he was paid by Reason and the John Locke Foundation, but the article was little more than a soapbox for someone to shout "I love roads"....yeah, I heard you the first time buddy....next....

I would point out that Jay Morrison is living way out in the burbs on a cul-de-sac! In the article it claims he is driving a Prius which I find kind of ironic considering his anti transit stance with respect to the Light Rail System. Add to that the simple fact that this moron does not even need transit since he essentially is a self made millionaire that does not have to go through the pain of rush hour. His claims are that the monies should be redirected to the school system (kind of funny, since he is considering running for the School Board <_< ). What I find so irritating, is that the this guy, along with all the other anti- transit nuts, hang their argument on the lack of Urban density in Charlotte. They claim Charlotte is not dense enough to expolre the options of rail! Well duh, you f***ing smart ass, that is what we are trying to encourage, instead of promoting more suburban sprawl, simply eating up tons more of beautiful Nortch Carolina countryside!

Rail helps direct TOD development, and curbs growth 10,20, and 30+ miles out from the core of a city. Assholes like Morrison love to live outside of the Urban landscape and enjoy their F****ing Prius cars to put around in, all the while sticking it up the ass of those seeking to truly make a life in an Urban landscape using Transit to avoid developing more Green space that you (Morrison) find so wonderful to plop your million dollar McMansion on. You ass, you hypocrite, you fu**ing Bufoon! You are the reason that I want to move from Charlotte.There is too much nonsense running amuck in the media outlets, and too many assholes trying to distort the REAL truth behind why we NEED the Transit dollars we have, and in fact, need more to encourage "smart TOD growth" and help save an environment that idiots like Morrison are intent on destroying. Well as long as A2 has breath in his body, it is my goal to derail (pun intended) arguments by misinformed, confused souls such as Morrison. The guy has more money than sense and that is a dangerous combination!!!

A2

At least Morrison wants to spend the money that would be taken away from Light Rail on something worthwhile - education. However, the sales tax revenue cannot simply be 'shifted' from transit to elsewhere. The process would be long and arduous, and would probably involve going back to the legislature for permission to hold another referrendum. And from what I've heard, I doubt CMS has enough popular support countywide at the moment to win any such referrendum.

It's probably not a good idea to pursue sales tax revenue for schools (it's not an entirely reliable revenue stream) but regardless of the source, in the long run, we definitely do need to spend more on education. The question remains as to whether CMS would manage it well, but if money is taken away from transit and must be allocated elsewhere, education is where it should go.

I simply can't stand the JLF and Reason Foundation folks who would take the transit money away and allocate it to more freeway lanes instead.

At least Morrison wants to spend the money that would be taken away from Light Rail on something worthwhile - education. However, the sales tax revenue cannot simply be 'shifted' from transit to elsewhere. The process would be long and arduous, and would probably involve going back to the legislature for permission to hold another referrendum. And from what I've heard, I doubt CMS has enough popular support countywide at the moment to win any such referrendum.

CATS CEO Ron Tober and Charlotte City Manager Pam Syfert made a presentation tonight to City Council about the ramifications of the 1/2 Cent Transit Tax Repeal. They presented 4 possible scenarios.

Worst Case Scenario #1 would require about a 2 Cent Property Tax Increase

- No LRT or Trolley Service

- All Express Routes cut except 77X

- About 1/3 of the Local Routes would be elminated

- No Sunday Service

- Reduced Hours of Operation to shut down at 11pm

- LRT vehicles and Excess Buses would be sold off

- Property Tax Increase would be required to pay back $300M in Federal and State grants

- 50% of Vanpools would be eliminated

- Most neighborhood and village riders would be elimated

Scenario #2 would require about a 6 Cent Property Tax Increase

- Reduced LRT operation at 15min headways during rush hour, 30 min headway all other times

- Minimal Bus Feeder for South LRT

Scenario #3 would require about a 10 Cent Property Tax Increase

- Maintain Current System including South LRT operations.

- No additional corridors would be built

Scenario #4 would require a 12 Cent Property Tax Increase

- Build out full 2030 Transit Plan

Mayor McCrory put it best that if the 1/2 Cent Sales tax were repealed it would be a big "kick in the stomach to the Charlotte Property Tax Payer." The City of Charlotte is the only one responsible for CATS debt. So if this 1/2 Cent Sales tax disappears it will be the Charlotte taxpayer that pays off the debt...not the County, not any of the Towns.

Some other facts to consider:

Under the current plan about 30% of the Mecklenburg Sales Tax is collected from people that live outside the County. If the Sales Tax repeal passes then 100% of the cost of Transit will be paid for by County Residents.

Some of the morons proposing the repeal of the Transit Tax state that the City could put up a 1/4 Sales Tax on the November Ballot to fund "bus only." What they don't tell you is that would require NC Legislature approval and the likelyhood of that happening in time to put it on the November ballot is next to zero.

^^^Sure is nice to have CATS put some perspective on just how idiodic the idea is of repealing the 1/2 cent sales tax is. What kills me is that the morons that are proposing saving money via realaing the half cent sales tax are the very ones who in the end will end up forking out tons more in Property taxes. Kind of ironic dont'cha think.... :whistling:

A2

Please tell me I am reading this right:

http://marynewsom.blogspot.com/

Is Mary Newsome as sensable as I think she is about Transit. I thought the "O" was against promoting such propaganda :P .

Starting to build a rapid transit system now will be monumentally cheaper than waiting until we're already choked and built out, because land will be even more expensive then. Adopting a "roads only" approach because the region hasn't hit urban densities as high as older, larger areas is about as smart as waiting until your kid is a sophomore in high school to start saving for college.

After the above qoute in her Blog I am nominating her for Mayor. What smarts this gal has! :rolleyes:

A2

I never really understood property tax in comparison to sales tax. If all surrounding counties/state were to increase the sales tax and lower the property tax, the people within the residing counties/state would be paying less of the burden. Granted you can only do this so much before people hop over the border to save five bucks rather than just a few cents but I can't understand why people would boycott something like this if they would end up paying more for it in the long run. It just doesn't make any sense. We have a good balance right now and I wouldn't see any harm if the state increased the transit tax up the 1/4 cent they just reduced sales tax anyway. Nobody was jumping up and down when they saved a quarter after spending a hundred dollars. I say bring that back and help get our highways lit and our potholes fixed.

I hear this stuff about wanting to spend transit money on education like the idiot morrison was saying, and it just doesnt make any sense. I understand that our schools are over crowded and not up to par, but to be real, most of these kids in school just dont care. They dont care about their grades or schoolwork, a smartboard in everyclass wouldnt make them happy, it would make them bored and probably they would break it. I know this may be a bit of a strech but private schools mostly have kids that do care, granted some dont, and although they cost lots, there are scholarship oppertunities for those who care and work hard, no matter who you are. I think that its not the right idea to just throw money at education without a plan, I think public schools are obviously extremely important because the majority of kids go there, and planning to build new schools to meet growing demands should be handled along with the need to meet growing transit needs of the future.

and I also feel like adding a question, why has no light rail/streetcar thing been proposed down providence road. A short bit of underground light rail or streetcar switching to above ground when there is enough space would be excellent especially if it took people to southpark or areas like that. Isnt Providence road a main commuter road, I know I would take it everyday if I could. Maybe it is too expensive, but as growth continues south of Charlotte and that seems like an important place to go, but maybe it would be too expensive and asses like Morrison would just want to drive his prius in traffic for an hour or so as growth continues

one more post... I think Mary Newsome got it right today in her blog

http://marynewsom.blogspot.com/

talking about san francisco's transit and how she felt Charlotte compared and needed to work to get there

"Unless this region's economy tanks, we're going to get a whole lot bigger in coming decades. Starting to build a rapid transit system now will be monumentally cheaper than waiting until we're already choked and built out, because land will be even more expensive then. Adopting a "roads only" approach because the region hasn't hit urban densities as high as older, larger areas is about as smart as waiting until your kid is a sophomore in high school to start saving for college."

pretty basic but very true, we need to get a move on it

If you scroll up to the top of this page you will see a post I put here a few days ago about the Bay area transit system and SOME of the benefits associated with it. I could write page after page about the experiences and advantages I've had using parts of the transit system here but something tells me no matter what I say the bafoons trying to repeal the transit tax will never understand the importance and benefits a transit system can have for the future of the Charlotte region. I will keep watching to see how this pans out. I think Charlotte will prevail... :shades:

Archived