2030 Transit Plan

monsoon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The News and Observer ran an article and photo of the LRT today talking about the repeal drive. While at the end of the article, there was a quote from a person who said that the signature-gatherers said nothing about transit, just lowering the sales tax.

Maybe CATS should start a petition to repeal the taxes that support money for suburban road maintenance.

We would not be in the situation of so many Charlotteans dead set against mass transit if Tober and Syfert had not dropped the ball over and over again. Add to that a Charlotte City Council which feigned outrage at every turn but refused to discipline and you equal a fed up and distrustful citizenry open to repeal.

WCNC just ran a report about this petition, complete with interview of the organizer Dr. David Hartgen. He's not a bumbling idiot or liar...unfortunatly. He was frank and honest. It's just a matter of what you believe in...unfortunately. He just believes that the way the 1/2 cent money was spent by the governement was misguided (which I think others of us concur with)...and he is organizing a mass "bail out" of mass transit.

I've read many posts on here suggesting that CATS and Charmeck officials have done a poor job in spending the responsibility of the 1/2 cent money...the difference is that Hartgen wants an exotus from the plan, whereas most of us want a reorganization.

Hopefully enough voters will understand that exotus would be bad. A 3/4 completed mass transit line that is abandoned would be as much a blemish on this city as the abandoned Pyongyang 105 in Korea.

WCNC just ran a report about this petition, complete with interview of the organizer Dr. David Hartgen. He's not a bumbling idiot or liar...unfortunatly. He was frank and honest. It's just a matter of what you believe in...unfortunately. He just believes that the way the 1/2 cent money was spent by the governement was misguided (which I think others of us concur with)...and he is organizing a mass "bail out" of mass transit.

I've read many posts on here suggesting that CATS and Charmeck officials have done a poor job in spending the responsibility of the 1/2 cent money...the difference is that Hartgen wants an exotus from the plan, whereas most of us want a reorganization.

Hopefully enough voters will understand that exotus would be bad. A 3/4 completed mass transit line that is abandoned would be as much a blemish on this city as the abandoned Pyongyang 105 in Korea.

I wonder if the city should change the centers and corridor plans if the transit system gets voted down. I say high density zoning on Carmel, Rea, Quail Hollow, etc. These people tend to think that the are not helped by transit, whereas the real facts are that transit creates high density corridors so the county can focus that development away from the established suburban neighborhoods. So without the transit as a focal point, it would be unwise to locate that high density in one place, as they would all need to use their cars. Therefore, in order for the the city to grow and maintain its tax base, it should allow dense development and low income housing to go anywhere in the county.

Of course David Hartgen is not an idiot. he's a John Locke Foundation drone. But he is a liar, and you can be sure he's not out chastising people telling lies and spreading misinformation about this in front of Harris Teeters around Charlotte.

Hartgen is an idiot. I have had him for a class before at UNC Charlotte and he is as one sided as anyone I know, even on this or any other forum site. The guy couldn't see the other side of an argument if it hit him in the head. He has also been quoted in the CBJ and usually someone the next week slams him. If it were up to him, I-485 would be 20 lanes in each direction with four exits at the interstates. The guy has a love affair with asphalt.

I went to the Southern Home Show today and one of those people was out there collecting signatures. Got hassled going in and again back out. The only good thing about it is that I didn't see much of that crowd giving him the time of day. On the other hand, there were a large number of people out there so I suspect they did pick up some.

I wish there was a way to show everyone that the people getting signatures are giving bad information to the potential signee. When they get signatures at the Transit Center and only say, sign this if you want lower taxes, hell I would sign it today. The people who are signing it at the CTC would not be shooting themselves in the foot if they knew what they were signing. We should have someone out there saying, "hey, you just signed a sheet to make your bus ride an extra 30 minutes longer." I wonder how many votes they would get then. I hope that level heads prevail in the end.

I went to the Southern Home Show today and one of those people was out there collecting signatures. Got hassled going in and again back out. The only good thing about it is that I didn't see much of that crowd giving him the time of day. On the other hand, there were a large number of people out there so I suspect they did pick up some.

I'd guess we'll just have to get ready for a vote this fall on the sales tax. Hopefully by then the light rail line will be running and so it'll be good PR for CATS.

Also, if Charlotte voted in favor of the sales tax for transit a few years ago, unless CATS' image has been tarnished significantly by cost overruns and the like, I'd think the tax would have an even better chance of passing now, since the city's demographics have changed quickly to become even more Democratic.

^He was asking if you were in Meck or not. If not, he immediately ignored you like garbage.

Anyway there is a pretty good article in today's paper where the Observer went to interview some of the people who signed this petition and they said they had no idea it was to kill the train. They also said they regretted signing the petition. As was previously reported, the guy, who refused to give his name to the Observer yesterday, is asking people if they want their taxes lowered. The organizer of this petition also refused to comment on this tactic when contacted by the Observer.

So generally they are getting people to sign the petition, apparently by using paid canvassers, by not telling them the real purpose of the petition. Unfortunately people need to read the papers they sign which they are not doing.

I wonder if someone can call the elections office and have their named removed from the petition once they figure out they were duped by this underhanded tactic?

Hartgen is an idiot. I have had him for a class before at UNC Charlotte and he is as one sided as anyone I know, even on this or any other forum site. The guy couldn't see the other side of an argument if it hit him in the head. He has also been quoted in the CBJ and usually someone the next week slams him. If it were up to him, I-485 would be 20 lanes in each direction with four exits at the interstates. The guy has a love affair with asphalt.

Archived