2030 Transit Plan

monsoon

At least Morrison wants to spend the money that would be taken away from Light Rail on something worthwhile - education. However, the sales tax revenue cannot simply be 'shifted' from transit to elsewhere. The process would be long and arduous, and would probably involve going back to the legislature for permission to hold another referrendum. And from what I've heard, I doubt CMS has enough popular support countywide at the moment to win any such referrendum.

It's probably not a good idea to pursue sales tax revenue for schools (it's not an entirely reliable revenue stream) but regardless of the source, in the long run, we definitely do need to spend more on education. The question remains as to whether CMS would manage it well, but if money is taken away from transit and must be allocated elsewhere, education is where it should go.

I simply can't stand the JLF and Reason Foundation folks who would take the transit money away and allocate it to more freeway lanes instead.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[Puckett introduced a resolution calling for staff to investigate the legal ways to revoke the 1/2 sales tax, and to explore what amount of service reductions would be required to compensate for the loss of the tax. The vote went along party lines to reject his motion. I think the timing of this (October 17th) speaks very clearly that he was running an anti-transit campaign. Again, look where he was the highest vote getter, and where he was the lowest.

Moving on....I think the timing of November election works into CATS favor ASSUMING they can stay on their current schedule. It would be nice to see the line 99% complete and trains testing up and down the corridor, building some positive media momentum. Hopefully, they won't begin fare collections until after the election (if its even a possibility) since I think the first year is going to have relatively poor ridership.

A couple of things I expect to happen this November:

(1) The transit tax repeal will fail.

(2) Ron Tober will resign and move elsewhere. I think once the LRT is open, he's outta here. He's received a lot of heat, some rightfully so, but he also helped win crucial federal dollars from the stringent FTA to make the LRT a reality in the first place. Amidst all the hubbub, I think that fact is often forgotten, and considering how close Charlotte was to NOT getting the money and having nothing to show for years of good planning, folks should be thankful.

^My guess is that it had more to do with the political connections that McCroy had alluded to in last fall's meeting, than anything having to do with Tober. As it was, CATS lost almost a year in the schedule because Tober mis-managed the proposal phase of the project and the FTA sent him back to Charlotte to wait for another funding cycle so he could better work out his sums. We are lucky we didn't lose out all together.

I agree with Metro. Congressional string pulling mattered more on the FTA funding. But I agree with ChiefJoJo that it's likely Tober will excuse himself or be squeezed out, after the vote. Especially since Syfert is leaving, and she helped shield him over the years.

Tober would do OK in most mid sized cities managing a bus fleet, or one with an existing rail system. But keeping a grip on the myriad political and accountability planks, that are needed to pull off launching a new system, seems beyond him. I'll admit it's a hard job for anyone. But in a nation of 300+ million, surely we could find a better transit head.

It's especially galling in a city full of bankers and accountants, that we have had to put up with so many financial gaffes from CATS.

Well, the article makes it obvious that they targetted the very people that could be swindled by an oversimplified statement about the petition, rather than reading it. I don't believe most of those demographics would be for canceling the bus system and rail plans.

I just hope those people have a sense of obligation on the real vote in November. This petition is meaningless if the final vote is for keeping the transit tax. Everyone reading this needs to spread the word as much as possible.

^As well as explaining the whole purpose behind the corridor system. I was out with friends the other night and they were all saying that everyone they talk to won't use the train (my friends included), therefore it was a waste of money. And I think that is a common thought around the city when people who live in north Charlotte or SW Charlotte hear about a 10 mile train project that costs nearly half a billion dollars and won't serve them one bit. We need to stress that it does serve them to lessen traffic congestion and pollution among other things.

You should tell them if not for the train, which will help Charlotte meet the EPA guide lines on pollution; they would not get any road improvements for not meeting EPA guide lines.

Also, ask them if they would like a property tax increase to support our transit system, if the 1/2 cent tax is repeal.

^My guess is that it had more to do with the political connections that McCroy had alluded to in last fall's meeting, than anything having to do with Tober. As it was, CATS lost almost a year in the schedule because Tober mis-managed the proposal phase of the project and the FTA sent him back to Charlotte to wait for another funding cycle so he could better work out his sums. We are lucky we didn't lose out all together.

I heard the Tober has a lot of connections in the FTA and that was critical in getting the FFGA signed, although I'm certain McCrory played a big role as well. The fact he makes more $ than Syfert should be sign of his relative importance in city govt.

I have been following this topic closely. It angers me to no end to see closeminded people actually persuade folks in to doing more harm than good. I agree the point needs to be made to the public that if this transit tax gets repealed it will set Charlotte back decades. Then these same folks will whine and complain about the very thing they helped to create. I just don't get it. How can you call yourself "green" but in the same skin be anti-transit. Is there any back up plan or comprimse plan being drawn up just in case these SCAT folks actually get their way. I was so proud to know an NC city actually took the step and built LRT and now the whole transit plan could possibly be cut down due to people who can't understad what it takes for a city to grow and offer services for the whole populace. Do they think because this is NC that us poor ole country follk don't know anything about mass transit, smog and federal funding. They can just whip up some misleading comments and sway the people that have been in state for a while. Or maybe they thought they could just move to their own private corner of Charlotte and not worry about no other part of the city. Man I wish I was there now I would be right there helping get the word out.

I do not know how many catched it, but last night on "Charlotte Now" with Mike Collins, the entire show was dedicated to the half cent sales tax debacle. It was ironic in the sense that Tober showed up, but Morrison and all his Anti-Transit group were absent. They said they were "unavialable". This was their excuse!!! Are you f***ing kidding me. You are F***ing unavailable to defend your cause on a show that airs to thousands of Charloteans.

I have to laugh a bit here at the irony of it all.

I mean really guys, here we have an open forum to share thoughts of the so called Good,Bad, and the Ugly of transit and you don't even show. Gimme a F***ing break, you commies! These guys argue in print, but won't dare show up to face people that will point to cold hard facts on live TV. The reason being is because you would probably run off crying to your little Mommy at how Mr. Transitman beat you up side your head with reality. WAKE UP MR.MORRSON!!! You are holding a city hostage because of your closed minded ways.

For what it is worth, Mike Collins wore Tober out with questions, and at the end of the show, even he was convinced of the moronic approach that J.Morrison is taking.

One thing that shocked me is that out of all the money raised via the sales tax, almost 70% is used for expanding, and maintaining the bus routes!!! That is right. And we actually run a much cheaper and efficient Transit program that half the cities our size.

Another broad topic of debate that was brought into the show was the road money issue. Tober basically was shocked that these anti-transit idiots don't even bother to muster a wimper about how over-budget and how behind schedule the majority of our roads and Interstate projects are (namely 485).

At the end of the show, I actually had just a slight bit more respect for Tober (key word slight). Maybe it is because he has been so beaten down so much with his mangement of the PR side of the Transit debacle that he just looked more under controled in his responses. We all have faults (this one is unfortunate one though for Mr. Tober in that it hurts CATS overall and we can't pay hundred's of thousands of dollars who can't manage the publics expectations).

At the end of the day it comes down to the voter. Let's hope the same people who voted for the tax, continue to support it today. I feel like it is a no brainer as long as the public is properly educated.

A2

This topic stems from a discussion in the Scaleybark thread.

A couple of UPers have been discussing the pros and cons of Light Rail along a divided freeway. One pointed to the Chicago blue line along I-90 as an example for Charlotte to follow.

I would like to encourage a different model. If CATS and the City do decide to construct a rail line down Independence, I would like to see it run along one side of the road. This would do two things: First, it would allow greater opportunities for TOD along service and secondary roads near the line; and Second, it would, potentially, reduce noise and air quality issues for persons waiting at the stations for the train.

Denver's T-Rex project along I-25 incorporates some of these ideas:

http://www.trexproject.com/trex_channels/m.../ph_narrows.asp

If I had my way, this would be reversed along the SE corridor. The freeway would be sunken a few feet, and the trains would run at street level along the side. In addition to the benefits I already mentioned, this would improve the visibility of the trains. Perhaps my belief is ill founded, but I think more people will appreciate the train, and be inclined to use it, if they see it more often.

^

Thanks for re-posting this. Looks like you got to it before I did.

The link appears to have changed. Here's the new one:

http://www.trexproject.com/trex_channels/m.../ph_narrows.asp

With regards to station design, some renderings can be seen on this page:

http://www.trexproject.com/trex_channels/maps/renderings.asp

My favorites include the Colorado Boulevard, Southmoor (for its parking on the opposite side of the interstate), and Dry Creek stations. Denver, much like Charlotte, seems to understand the "transit-first" mentaility that gets S.C.A.T. all riled up. Many of these outer stations are in relatively low-density areas with land available (and planned) for TOD. I have hope that Charlotte area voters will keep the tax. If fairly conservative areas like Denver (less so) and Charlotte (more so) can vote for a transit tax once, Charlotte can do it again.

The Line is up and running now. More information can be found at:

http://www.southeastlightrail.com/

One thing that shocked me is that out of all the money raised via the sales tax, almost 70% is used for expanding, and maintaining the bus routes!!! That is right. And we actually run a much cheaper and efficient Transit program that half the cities our size.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit disturbing the transit tax repeal may appear on the same ballot where CMS is going to try and ask for the voters to vote in favor of a $600M+ bond package. This is after the voters in the county voted it down because of how sorry the CMS schools are getting and nothing is being done about it. I am not sure the hiring of an overpaid photogenic head has done much to change that perception.

^I read the link that Mary is referring to and I think that report is yet another one where the author had a pre-determined outcome then generated the percentages from certain numbers to prove it. For example he says the CATS costs are 108% over estimates when he doesn't say which of the number of cost projections that CATS provided for this project. It's actually almost 60% higher than the first projection which was the one approved by the MTC. That is not a very good track record using even his measuring stick as a guage. (the airport)

Mary should know better. I am not against the transit system, but attempts to gloss over CATS failures when the people deserve better, are irresponsible.

BTW, I assume you meant this for the transit topic instead of this highway topic.

Pam Syfert told the City Council the other night that she did not foresee a reason to raise property taxes for at least the next 2 years. Is she assuming that the transit tax repeal will be voted down? What happened to the threat by her and CATS that property taxes would go up if the transit tax was repealed?

Pam Syfert told the City Council the other night that she did not foresee a reason to raise property taxes for at least the next 2 years. Is she assuming that the transit tax repeal will be voted down? What happened to the threat by her and CATS that property taxes would go up if the transit tax was repealed?

Archived