SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

I've heard about this supposed passage between DEC and the Green Parking, but could never find it.So you can go all the way from the Center City Green parking deck at 6th and Brevard to the DEC at Stonewall and Church without getting your hair messed up. Wouldn't it be something if we expanded that system?  :whistling:

I've heard about this supposed passage between DEC and the Green Parking, but could never find it.So you can go all the way from the Center City Green parking deck at 6th and Brevard to the DEC at Stonewall and Church without getting your hair messed up. Wouldn't it be something if we expanded that system?  :whistling:

Not to get COMPLETELY off topic here, but many northern cities have amazing underground tunnel networks.  I'll cite Toronto here since I've used it the most, but their PATH network is an unbelievable wonder.  

tumblr_m804u9yJr01r2a51zo3_1280.jpg

Edited by ah59396

^ I can't believe I'm going to continue the off-topic here, but I also back that lots of northern cities have these networks. I'll use Chicago as an example as well since I used it when I lived there:

post-1-0-34171000-1400166166_thumb.jpg

I'm not really sure that we should have that here though... It doesn't get THAT cold (yeah, this winter was horrible, but that's an exception to the rule in general). Ped networks are as bad as the sky walk systems. I think everyone can agree that we want this traffic on the street and not underground or above ground. Places like Chicago and Toronto have plenty of street level pedestrian activity, and the winter is absolutely horrid in these places (I don't miss my ears being frozen by the time I got to work).

Bringing this back to SkyHouse... it will be great to have this sucker adding to future pedestrian activity on this side of the loop, but I don't expect we'll see a transformation for some time unfortunately.

I haven't worked there for two years, so I don't remember the exact floors. You might ask a security guard or someone who works in the DEC as it's more or less common knowledge for them. 

As far as ped activity, I think a lot of it will be on Church Street, which feels safer because of the apartments and houses lining the street. Unfortunately North Tryon still feels a little dodgy and I can imagine residents wanting to avoid the loiterers, particularly since it's a couple block walk before you hit restaurants and bars anyway. This should hopefully change when Levine gets off his a$$ and develops the block in 2034...

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview with the Observer, Clay Grubb said they are very bullish on multi-family and does not think there is an overbuild of apartments going on. He mentions that millenials are the biggest segment of the population after baby boomers and they are largely choosing to live in urban areas.

He also mentions that he would like to build a second Skyhouse in Uptown.

• Like 2

Wasn't the permit adjusted to allow for two Skyhouse buildings on the current site?

the PreSubmit was for 660 units of apartments. Most recent approved plans are for only one tower with space for future development (Office). However if Days Inn is ACTUALLY in play… who knows.

Edited by Guest

If Grubbs stayed with Novare, I remember back before the "Massive 3rd Ward Project" was announced, Twelve was announced for Levine Land but instead chose the Romare Park site.

That being said, if a Twelve hotel is going anywhere, my money is on this site just because Novare is involved.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/33304-3rd-ward-residential-projects/

Oh, and lol at Dubone in 2006 calling Levine incompetent and that there is an entire thread devoted to the hatred of Levine..... 8 years later....

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

As much as this is further confirmation of Levine's incompetence in building value from his massive accumulation of land, it is GREAT news for Third Ward.

However, I'll bet they realized that the third ward park is coming, and the first ward park is going no where because as with all things that King Levine touches, it turns to asphalt.

As much as I would have liked the First Ward location, you can really see that much of the momentum is in Third Ward right now, so it makes sense for them to focus there.

Too bad no one took that bet.   :hi:

If Grubb did in fact build a second Skyhouse in uptown, my hope is that it would be on the same site as the one currently under construction. Another Skyhouse in a different part of uptown, especially if it was identical just wouldn't look right. 

My sense if Grubb was to do another Skyhouse with Novare, it would most likely be second tower where the motel is now.  As much as I'd like to see a TWELVE (or other hotel there), it just seems like a tough spot for a full service hotel.  Also, Novare has only built a total of 2 TWELVE's, both in Atlanta.  Though they still own and operate the brand, I'm not sure they're really looking to expand it right now.

The other interesting possibility (and my hope), is that Grubb demos the parking deck for 330 S Tryon (the Charlotte Chamber building they just bought), and partners to do a Skyhouse there stacked on a parking deck that could serve both the office building and apartments.  This would be a pretty premium location, and I think the numbers could work based on what they paid for the office building.  Novare is planning 1-2 projects in Atlanta now with the tower on top of the parking deck, so it looks like they are willing to deviate from their template for the right site.

The last possibility that I think could make a lot of sense isn't currently controlled by Grubb (it's controlled by the owners of Preferred Parking), is the block bound by Morehead, 277, College and Tryon. 

The last possibility that I think could make a lot of sense isn't currently controlled by Grubb (it's controlled by the owners of Preferred Parking), is the block bound by Morehead, 277, College and Tryon. 

Is that the old Trump lot? I feel like that parcel is begging to be developed, especially with Tryon Place and (potentially) Portman starting construction within the next two years.

The other interesting possibility (and my hope), is that Grubb demos the parking deck for 330 S Tryon (the Charlotte Chamber building they just bought), and partners to do a Skyhouse there stacked on a parking deck that could serve both the office building and apartments.  This would be a pretty premium location, and I think the numbers could work based on what they paid for the office building.  Novare is planning 1-2 projects in Atlanta now with the tower on top of the parking deck, so it looks like they are willing to deviate from their template for the right site.

I REALLY hope there's ultimately a redevelopment that involves the parking deck here since it's a huge eye sore and a great opportunity, but I don't think it'd be considered for a Skyhouse deal since it doesn't fit their parameters of being able to do a freestanding precast deck adjacent to the residential tower. 

Is that the old Trump lot? I feel like that parcel is begging to be developed, especially with Tryon Place and (potentially) Portman starting construction within the next two years.

Trump lot IS the tryon place lot.

Looking at the webcam, concrete pillars are going up at Skyhouse.  These jokers know how to move!

I was looking at Raleighs and it seems they have built 20 floors in 4 months!!! So this sucker will have some impact by late summer.