Proposed I-410

brresident

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice discussion! This is a perfect example of why I joined UP!

BTW Buckett5425...Thanks for the visuals/examples :shades: I have drawn city street maps(of imaginary cities)most of my life & have changed in recent years to this "style" city with Interstates being more along the periphery of the urban-core...huge "Grand" Boulevards eventually turning into limited acess parkway/expressways out to the Interstates! Where as before I had Interstates cutting thru every angle of the city(like a Fort Worth)

Since BR missed on it's chance in the 70's with a inner-loop....the outer loop was the only other option IMO...I think Nashville's newer outer-loop could be the U.S. Longest now?? BR's may be a little too long but this is 15 years too late + Spanish Lake/Bluff Swamp Preserve also factors into the equation.

Deep-water Port/Landlocked with river/swamp have worked to BR's disadvantage; where as the smaller Red River made it easier for a place like Shreveport to have a nice loop system.

Another disadvantage is being a large river on city Downtown BR is at the very left end & not in the geographical center somewhere between 10/12 split & IndependencePark (Towne Center)...it worked to Austin's advantage to have a much smaller river where it was easier to make "downtown/ heart-n-soul" in the geographical center/ or a "TRUE" Town Center! This makes a HUGE difference!

The Livingston/Ascension Parkway is still viable...they need to get that started ASAP before any more new subdivisons go up...it would paralell Hwy 447(Walker South) between Juban Road...with toll bridge at for Amite River into Ascension just east of Prairieville. Since 80% of Livingston residents work outside their parish; plenty travel to the plants in Ascension; this "Parkway" would free up some space at the construction gridlock along I-12 & EBR...

• 1 month later...

Nice discussion! This is a perfect example of why I joined UP!

BTW Buckett5425...Thanks for the visuals/examples :shades: I have drawn city street maps(of imaginary cities)most of my life & have changed in recent years to this "style" city with Interstates being more along the periphery of the urban-core...huge "Grand" Boulevards eventually turning into limited acess parkway/expressways out to the Interstates! Where as before I had Interstates cutting thru every angle of the city(like a Fort Worth)

Reminds me of my wishful I-51 interstate which completely misses the core of BR. Also, I too have become more leaning towards these "Grand Boulevards" in place of interstates or freeways and the demolition of I-110 downtown would be a good start. A vegetated median and attractive, lighted pedestrian bridges at the major intersections would be nice.

Since BR missed on it's chance in the 70's with a inner-loop....the outer loop was the only other option IMO...I think Nashville's newer outer-loop could be the U.S. Longest now?? BR's may be a little too long but this is 15 years too late + Spanish Lake/Bluff Swamp Preserve also factors into the equation.

An outer loop would take any possibility of core investment right out to the suburbs at the "new" I-410 intersections. People in this city love new things. Roughly following parish lines would be ideal, in my opinion. Also factor in the cost of a structure circling 6? parishes rather than just 2 or 3 and the resentment of those living there. I believe a temporary toll should be put on it, but maybe just where it crosses the MS river. Also, if the I-110 and I-10 junction is ever rebuilt with improvements to the Horace Wilkinson, a toll should be placed on the bridge coming into EBR. The opposition would be through the roof but the money has to come from somewhere and traffic is just horrendous.

The Livingston/Ascension Parkway is still viable...they need to get that started ASAP before any more new subdivisons go up...it would paralell Hwy 447(Walker South) between Juban Road...with toll bridge at for Amite River into Ascension just east of Prairieville. Since 80% of Livingston residents work outside their parish; plenty travel to the plants in Ascension; this "Parkway" would free up some space at the construction gridlock along I-12 & EBR...

I like the idea alot. As it is difficult getting to I-12 via the one bridge that crosses the Amite. I believe a $2 toll is expensive, however.

• 1 month later...

Public hearings on B.R. Loop project set

Before the Capital Area Expressway Authority can wrap up the first tier of an environmental impact study on the controversial Baton Rouge Loop project, a series of public hearings will be held in early December to get feedback on the plan. Baton Rouge Loop program manager Suzanne McCain says that once comments are collected, the next step will be to review them for any potential in making changes to the plan and then choose the most feasible part of the project to proceed with a more extensive environmental study. "That would take about 18 months," McCain says of the study. "The north bypass, which would essentially connect Livingston Parish to downtown Baton Rouge—that section appears to be more feasible than the rest, based on what you could collect on tolls." Read the full story, with meeting times and places, here. Read a Business Report story about the prospects for the Baton Rouge Loop here.

Businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

I like the grand blvds idea....I would like tonsee that done for Airline and Florida (replacing those useless service roads).

You'd have to move the lanes to the edge of the right of way to have a median large enough for even a big rig's u-turn. Then, you could get rid of some of those secondary traffic signals.

The median could be decent green space...and light rail eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Holden: Loop opponents 'resorting to misinformation'

Mayor Kip Holden issued a statement today in an attempt to set the record straight on the much-debated interstate loop around Baton Rouge, in advance of public hearings on the project slated for next week. "Differences of opinion can be worked through, but it is unfortunate that some loop opponents are resorting to misinformation," says Holden, who serves as chairman of the Capital Area Expressway Authority. Holden says opponents of the loop are alleging several far-fetched ideas in an attempt to kill the project. Among them, he says, they claim the project would require as much as a half-mile-wide corridor; that private property will be confiscated for the project without fair compensation; that it would create a "Great Wall of China" in Central; and that it would not ease traffic congestion. Holden says all these claims are false. "These stories would be laughable if they weren’t so damaging to any efforts to address traffic congestion in and around Baton Rouge," Holden says. "Opponents do not offer any positive solutions, only a hope that we can live with the status quo." Holden points out that the North Bypass portion of the loop has been in the state’s master plan for many years, and that traffic studies show that segment of the project could be built and paid for by toll revenue. Public hearings are scheduled next week in each of the five parishes that would be impacted by the loop. Read a recent Daily Report story to see all the details on the upcoming public hearings here.

A Great Wall of China in Central, lol. I bet if that wall were going to be on the south-western side of the limits they'd be for it.

Some people in Central and Livingston think Kip is doing it to make them mad. Are they serious? :console:

I'm no engineer but when does a 4-lane, at a most 6-lane freeway need a half-mile right of way?

What exactly are you suggesting?

Well, I was admittedly making a snide comment, which I would now like to apologize for and retract. I don't want to be known for making negative comments as goodness knows the world already has too many people bent on malevolence.

Sounds like the meetings were same old same old. I still believe the loop is way to big, however I think a northern bypass would be successful provided you tie it from i10 in wbr through 12 to i10 in ascesion... It has to be closer to the city, like, straddle the ebr and livingston and ascension parish lines type tight, not this idea of starting out past Gonzales.

Yeah it's the same old same old...was thinking about attending one of these meetings..but have not. Just don't think this will ever happen IMO...Without trying to be redundant..this loop project is 15-20 years too late; those areas are too developed now...

So many Livingston Parish residents work outside their parish...some work in plants in Ascension...that Livingston/Ascension "Parkway" mentioned a few times (toll bridge over Amite River)would be a great benefit; relieving some I-12 traffic... it could tie in to the southern by-pass(more urgent w hurricane evacuation) near Tanger Mall and back up into WBR...

Some of the northern proposals are simply too far out of the way...the I-840 in Nashville is a new long loop that comes to mind.

Sounds like the meetings were same old same old. I still believe the loop is way to big, however I think a northern bypass would be successful provided you tie it from i10 in wbr through 12 to i10 in ascesion... It has to be closer to the city, like, straddle the ebr and livingston and ascension parish lines type tight, not this idea of starting out past Gonzales.

I think it's way to big also and should straddle the parish lines, that's where majority of the people live, in Ascension the highest population is in Prairieville right across the bayou. I believe Denham is the largest city in Livingston.

Yeah it's the same old same old...was thinking about attending one of these meetings..but have not. Just don't think this will ever happen IMO...Without trying to be redundant..this loop project is 15-20 years too late; those areas are too developed now...

So many Livingston Parish residents work outside their parish...some work in plants in Ascension...that Livingston/Ascension "Parkway" mentioned a few times (toll bridge over Amite River)would be a great benefit; relieving some I-12 traffic... it could tie in to the southern by-pass(more urgent w hurricane evacuation) near Tanger Mall and back up into WBR...

Some of the northern proposals are simply too far out of the way...the I-840 in Nashville is a new long loop that comes to mind.

The areas they want it to go through are not too developed at all. Much of it is barren, some if it just sprawl.

Well, I was admittedly making a snide comment, which I would now like to apologize for and retract. I don't want to be known for making negative comments as goodness knows the world already has too many people bent on malevolence.

I was messing around....harder to show sarcasm through the keyboard.

I know you aren't another one of those "anti-suburb" race baiters.

The loop is far too large. Why would, imagine someone is going to Prairieville, take a loop around the city and into Iberville and over the miss river and end in Gonzales JUST to get to Prairieville? It's ridiculously too large. I, and plenty of others, will just stay on 10 to get home.

First time for everything but I completely agree. I believe it would intersect with I-10 just south of Gonzales in Sorrento. I would never use it if it was that long AND I had to pay.

First time for everything but I completely agree. I believe it would intersect with I-10 just south of Gonzales in Sorrento. I would never use it if it was that long AND I had to pay.

I completely forgot the part about having to pay. Makes the idea even more laughable.

Most here won't like this but the state/Fed must add lanes on the I-10 over the Miss River bridge and I-110 BR is a hub that connects 2 interstates (10 and 12) and is simply unable to manage the traffic on a interstate system that was designed for traffic back in what must have been 1970.

The loop is far too large. Why would, imagine someone is going to Prairieville, take a loop around the city and into Iberville and over the miss river and end in Gonzales JUST to get to Prairieville? It's ridiculously too large. I, and plenty of others, will just stay on 10 to get home.

I think you might be right.

In the long run, a loop will hurt everything inside of it. They should have built this one 40 years ago. Opportunity missed.

Now we need to improve our existing infrastructure and make more connections into the neighboring regions..

I completely forgot the part about having to pay. Makes the idea even more laughable.

Most here won't like this but the state/Fed must add lanes on the I-10 over the Miss River bridge and I-110 BR is a hub that connects 2 interstates (10 and 12) and is simply unable to manage the traffic on a interstate system that was designed for traffic back in what must have been 1970.

Won't like added lanes on the Horace W? Who would oppose that? It should have been widened in the 80s. Why would I-110 need to be widened? I only remember traffic being heavy during immediate rush hour times and it diminishes once you pass the Governors Mansion.

I think you might be right.

In the long run, a loop will hurt everything inside of it. They should have built this one 40 years ago. Opportunity missed.

Now we need to improve our existing infrastructure and make more connections into the neighboring regions..

Yes, with all the millions of dollars and time on construction it would be more beneficial to connect the city through the extension of roads like S Foster, Staring, etc. You're right, it will only hurt the progress being made in the city and the roads themselves would entice economic growth and offer the residents with more options of getting around instead of the 18-wheeler drivers that don't pay taxes or work in the city.

Archived