Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

22 hours ago, SouthernBorn said:

Lol I sure hope not since the cheapest koenigsegg you can get right now is 1.8 mil and brand new they’re running 3-5 mil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time I saw a gold Rolls-Royce Phantom parked at the Holiday Inn in downtown Raleigh, I just assumed every Holiday Inn was like that. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SouthernBorn said:

That’s why it’s going to zoning appeals for a height variance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think that will be an issue since this hotel is so close to the convention center?   

It feels like a lot of projects are starting to surface, timing could be due to the recent tax breaks from Richland and Cola.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, CLT_sc said:

Wow, it's going to be part of the boutique Hilton Tapestry Collection. It appears this would be the first hotel in the collection to be built as such; the others have local origins and are more historic.

tapestryhotel.jpg

1 hour ago, krazeeboi said:

Wow, it's going to be part of the boutique Hilton Tapestry Collection. It appears this would be the first hotel in the collection to be built as such; the others have local origins and are more historic.

tapestryhotel.jpg

Sounds like more hotels are planned as well, 75+% is a strong occupancy rate.

10 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Sounds like more hotels are planned as well, 75+% is a strong occupancy rate.

For sure, and there are definitely more lots within a couple of blocks of the convention center that can be developed. You also have the proposed hotel atop the Lady Street garage which is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Height variance was approved....and, it sounds like more is coming to this site whether it is a convention center expansion and another hotel or a high rise apartment building.

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/columbia-s-first-four-star-hotel-could-link-to-downtown/article_bff2c87e-babf-11e9-852c-175cad98ee5a.html

It seems like the PandC covers Columbia, I have seen numerous development oriented articles in the PandC recently.

Another good PandC article on development in West Columbia....this area has tremendous value and will continue to build out.  New restaurants are coming and taking advantage of being on the river with skyline views. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/developers-cite-low-cost-of-west-columbia-but-there-s/article_1c4e9432-b786-11e9-adab-ab9a01d3e3f9.html

23 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Another good PandC article on development in West Columbia....this area has tremendous value and will continue to build out.  New restaurants are coming and taking advantage of being on the river with skyline views. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/developers-cite-low-cost-of-west-columbia-but-there-s/article_1c4e9432-b786-11e9-adab-ab9a01d3e3f9.html

What a shame that the Charleston paper is doing more reporting on Columbia than the State!

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/real_estate/growing-number-of-business-travelers-give-rise-to-more-downtown/article_0ff2ea08-860d-11e9-a48f-0fe783fcf444.html

another good PandC article on Cola.

i am surprised that The State doesn’t write as much on economic development in the city. Cola has a great story to tell, The State seems to ignore a lot of good in the city.

Edited by CLT_sc

Ummm, The State has run plenty of articles about development in Columbia. If anything, the P&C is playing catch-up and its recent increased coverage of Columbia is  probably tied to its acquisition of the Free Times.

As far as the latest news goes, it's great to see a hometown developer like Ben Arnold continue investing in the city by taking advantage of the recent tax breaks. Being that this proposed 350+ room hotel will be behind the proposed Anthem hotel he will also develop, I'm guessing that it will probably also exceed the Vista height limit but granted a variance since it would be similarly set back from the street. Having such a huge project developed in tandem with an expansion of the convention center makes it very likely that both will happen. It's good that the convention center was built with future possible expansion in mind.

Any guesses concerning the hotel brand? I'm gonna go with a Westin.

• 1 month later...

A new multi-purpose event venue is coming to the Congaree Vista.

Junction 800 will occupy 16,000 square feet in the former Jillian’s space in the 800 block of Gervais St., Columbia-based developer The Arnold Companies said in a news release. The venue will have open floor space and seat more than 500 guests, with the capacity to serve up to 1,000.

Junction 800 will be available for events beginning Nov. 1, according to the release.

• 4 months later...

The Kline Steel site at the major intersection of Gervais and Huger has finally gotten clearance for a $92 million development to include 2 hotels, retail and residential. One of the two hotels is an AC by Marriott, and the other will be announced later. I really hope  that intersection will be worked on to become safer for pedestrians crossing, as it is a very busy one. 

Also announced today, a Cambria hotel will be built in the Vista, at the corner of Lady and Park, in the lot behind Mellow Mushroom and across the street from Art Bar.

I figured the joint city-county tax breaks would put the Kline site back into action. I see the current plan nixed the residential and went with two hotels instead which is probably smart. I hope that it would tie into the state museum/Edventure property to provide pedestrian access.  Winsor-Aughtry does good work (they developed the Hampton and Hilton in the Vista as well as the Hampton in the Riverplace development in Greenville) so I expect to be impressed with the renderings whenever they are released.

• 2 weeks later...

https://hotelanthem.com/  One of the three new hotels for the Convention Center area. This one, according to the above article, is clear to go (the city just has to approve its signage). The Hyatt Regency will be the largest hotel in Columbia, and there will also be another Hilton within short walking distance of the other two. 

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Looks like 9 stories. Is that allowed in the Vista?  

It will be 11 stories and the Board of Zoning Appeals granted a variance since it will be set back so far from the street and won't really impact the aesthetic of the Vista. https://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/real-estate-commercial/76911/

42 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

It will be 11 stories and the Board of Zoning Appeals granted a variance since it will be set back so far from the street and won't really impact the aesthetic of the Vista. https://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/real-estate-commercial/76911/

I am curious to see the renderings of the other two. With one of them being a Hyatt Regency, and the announcement it will become Columbia's largest hotel, I wonder how many floors it will be. Judging by the placement against the conference center, I suspect it will be larger but not in a vertical sense.