Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

http://www.columbiasc.net/depts/plan...-huger1409.pdf

Plan for SCE&G site. I don't like all that surface lot they are planning to build there.  The city doesn't need more parking canyons on Huger St.

Huger street is in need of more density and this although beautiful looking project has to much open space there. The city really needs to rethink think before they start moving dirt. That spot i is perfect for a City garage with 1 or 2 floors of retail on the bottom floors and have like 6-7 floors of parking space.  More then enough for the big box store being built there and enough for the public parking needed bad in the vista. 

2 hours ago, growingup15 said:

http://www.columbiasc.net/depts/plan...-huger1409.pdf

Plan for SCE&G site. I don't like all that surface lot they are planning to build there.  The city doesn't need more parking canyons on Huger St.

Huger street is in need of more density and this although beautiful looking project has to much open space there. The city really needs to rethink think before they start moving dirt. That spot i is perfect for a City garage with 1 or 2 floors of retail on the bottom floors and have like 6-7 floors of parking space.  More then enough for the big box store being built there and enough for the public parking needed bad in the vista. 

ENTIRELY too much surface parking...yuck.

39 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

ENTIRELY too much surface parking...yuck.

I had trouble opening the link on my Mac, so here's the full link in case anyone else is having this problem: http://www.columbiasc.net/depts/planning-boards-commissions/boza/agendas/20170110/pkt-2016-0087-v-huger1409.pdf

The surface parking does seem like a waste of valuable space. You would think a stacked deck (2 levels) would be easy and cheap enough to build. It would free up space on the Washington Street side for more small retail properties. Then again, this lot is surrounded by surface parking, so it may be harder to enforce. Still, it's exciting that development is going to continue up Huger.

• 1 month later...

Here's a view from the completed phase two of the Vista Greenway with Finlay Park in the foreground. The greenway now connects the Vista to Elmwood. It will eventually be extended to the Earlwood Neighborhood. We walked from the Vista to Elmwood Cemetery, a hidden gem. 

Edited by BrasilnSC

52 minutes ago, BrasilnSC said:

Here's a view from the completed phase two of the Vista Greenway with Finlay Park in the foreground. The greenway now connects the Vista to Elmwood. It will eventually be extended to the Earlwood Neighborhood. We walked from the Vista to Elmwood Cemetery, a hidden gem. 

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be posting.

IMG_0769.JPG

4 minutes ago, carolinagarnet said:

Wow, very nice! Is the entire side of the WXYZ bar glass or is it like an open garage door?

I wish it was a bit bigger but it looks beautiful :)

11 hours ago, BrasilnSC said:

IMG_0769.JPG

I haven't been in downtown in almost 2 months. What's that crane in the distance for?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Two new restaurants are planned for the former Columbia Fire Department headquarters building at the corner of Senate and Park streets in The Vista.

The building, being renovated by a Virginia Beach-based real estate investment firm, will house the Kao Thai Cuisine restaurant, a sister restaurant to the Tamarind restaurant in Asheville.

A second undisclosed restaurant is slated for the historic eight-bay fire station with its distinctive training tower. Developer Christopher Mein of Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust said the restaurant will be operated by “a seasoned restaurant group with ties to Columbia and Charleston.”

The second restaurant operator is also contemplating turning the second story of the building into a large event space, he said. And there is still room on the 13,000-square-foot first floor for a third retail tenant.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article161442148.html

On 7/18/2017 at 0:54 PM, krazeeboi said:

Two new restaurants are planned for the former Columbia Fire Department headquarters building at the corner of Senate and Park streets in The Vista.

The building, being renovated by a Virginia Beach-based real estate investment firm, will house the Kao Thai Cuisine restaurant, a sister restaurant to the Tamarind restaurant in Asheville.

A second undisclosed restaurant is slated for the historic eight-bay fire station with its distinctive training tower. Developer Christopher Mein of Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust said the restaurant will be operated by “a seasoned restaurant group with ties to Columbia and Charleston.”

The second restaurant operator is also contemplating turning the second story of the building into a large event space, he said. And there is still room on the 13,000-square-foot first floor for a third retail tenant.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article161442148.html

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was in the Vista on Friday and noticed a few things:

1. The dictrict’s energy is high.  The area was packed with people of all ages walking in and out of the shops and restaurants. I think there are roughly 60 restaurants in the district and based on the crowds, more need to open.  Motor Supply was just noted as one of the best in the south.

2. Hotels, the area needs more hotels.  With proximity to the CLA, convention center, Carolina Alumni Center, the State museum and other venues, it would not be unreasonable to see a major hotel of 250+ rooms working in this area.  

3. Would like to see more residential development closer to Assembly.

4. Around rush hour, Gervais is busy.  However, it is not busy like a Tryon St in Charlotte where you need to watch for traffic from all angles.  It seems orderly and respects pedestrian traffic.

5. Property values seems to be increasing rapidly.  8 years ago, I pulled some numbers on for sale buildings in the district.  If I would have bought one, I would easily have beaten the S&P during that time frame.

I was in the Vista on Friday and noticed a few things:
1. The dictrict’s energy is high.  The area was packed with people of all ages walking in and out of the shops and restaurants. I think there are roughly 60 restaurants in the district and based on the crowds, more need to open.  Motor Supply was just noted as one of the best in the south.
2. Hotels, the area needs more hotels.  With proximity to the CLA, convention center, Carolina Alumni Center, the State museum and other venues, it would not be unreasonable to see a major hotel of 250+ rooms working in this area.  
3. Would like to see more residential development closer to Assembly.
4. Around rush hour, Gervais is busy.  However, it is not busy like a Tryon St in Charlotte where you need to watch for traffic from all angles.  It seems orderly and respects pedestrian traffic.
5. Property values seems to be increasing rapidly.  8 years ago, I pulled some numbers on for sale buildings in the district.  If I would have bought one, I would easily have beaten the S&P during that time frame.

I think the district could definitely use more hotels that are high end. Also most definitely residents, year round residents and not just school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/8/2019 at 3:45 AM, SouthernBorn said:

I think the district could definitely use more hotels that are high end. Also most definitely residents, year round residents and not just school year.

Agree.....this area could easily support another Hilton type project.  Downtown as a whole could support more, hotel projects.

Interesting read from CBRE’s Columbia office market assessment.  If you read that and the other ones from SC cities, the impression would be that Cola is flooded with vacant office space and not growing while other markets can’t put up enough space.  I don’t see Cola building a 30 story office tower, no city in SC really needs that, but I can see a 10 ish story class A tower being built, maybe combined with a hotel or apartment building.  The market is overdue for something like this.

Agree.....this area could easily support another Hilton type project.  Downtown as a whole could support more, hotel projects.
Interesting read from CBRE’s Columbia office market assessment.  If you read that and the other ones from SC cities, the impression would be that Cola is flooded with vacant office space and not growing while other markets can’t put up enough space.  I don’t see Cola building a 30 story office tower, no city in SC really needs that, but I can see a 10 ish story class A tower being built, maybe combined with a hotel or apartment building.  The market is overdue for something like this.

I’d be happy with more office though it seems the city has a problem attracting jobs. The first base building isn’t full yet and neither is the space Oglethorpe vacated before moving.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:30 AM, SouthernBorn said:

I’d be happy with more office though it seems the city has a problem attracting jobs. The first base building isn’t full yet and neither is the space Oglethorpe vacated before moving.

SC does a terrible job at recruiting white collar jobs unless it is the Charlotte suburbs.  Greenville has a boatload of vacant office space that is sitting.  

But, I could see Cola supporting a 150k sq foot building layered with a hotel and/or apartments. One of the large law firms would be a logical anchor as would be Southstate.   I am actually surprised that Southstate is still in their smallish building considering the size they are becoming.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, SouthernBorn said:

I never understand how they choose the cars they put in these pics, a koenigsegg and a corvette in front of a holiday inn?

Wait, those aren't the kinds of cars that people normally leave parked in front of a Holiday Inn?