Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 4/19/2024 at 10:08 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Any follow up on this? Debris? Thrown from bridge? or the bridge is crumbling?

looks like a crash on the bridge caused some railings or something to fall. 

Damaged bridge over Independence Boulevard to be closed for repairs (msn.com)

Damaged Bridge over Independence Boulevard to be Repaired Sunday Night (ncdot.gov)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 3

How much commuting time is too much? What is your limit, beyond which you would change life pattern, change job, change living location? Have you a limit? Will you accept a job with higher pay and longer commute time? Lower pay and shorter/no commute time? What is your calculus?

edit: for 98% of my working life I lived near the center of the city and my commute was outward and not inward. I was traveling against the rush and not within it. Occasionally I had to drive across town but still not with the traffic crowd.

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

77 South widening with a partner or the state alone needs to get going with the tolled express lanes.

Transit Time: The cost of widening I-77 south of uptown Charlotte keeps rising | WFAE 90.7 - Charlotte's NPR News Source

Once again, NCDOT is at fault for this delay, and there is nothing local governments of CoC, Mecklenburg County or the Charlotte MPO (CRTPO) can do speed up the process. Instead of building unnecessary intestate highway connections in the Piedmont Triad or the Triangle, NCDOT should be widening and adding managed toll lanes to the 8-mile stretch of I-77 from I-277 to the North Carolina-South Carolina state line. This 8-mile stretch is way more congested for longer periods of time (nearly 16 hours daily) than any other single corridor in this state or SC.

ETA: It's always amusing to see confusing emojis when it's the truth that NCDOT has repeatedly screws Charlotte on long-term investments.  Even when the region goes on its own then it creates new "technically supported" paradigms to not support future investments like the STI law. It says a lot about said posters' comprehensive and bias,  not my informed opinion on the topic since I work with NCDOT regularly...

Edited by kayman
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 4/25/2024 at 9:11 PM, jjwilli said:

Or maybe never widen it? The cost to widen will continue to increase every year due to the growth on the east side driven by the light rail. 

The lack of investment in Charlotte roads by the powers that be in Raleigh have led to this financial mess. Is there a breakdown available of the NCDOT investment in Mecklenburg county / Charlotte  over the past 10 - 20 years compared to the rest of the state?

I could post that information, but it's skewed to show "equality" using that warped STI formula from NCDOT.  For the record, that STI Law is pure garbage and I've seen better allocations put together by the FDOT standalone divisions, GDOT, or TXDOT.  NCDOT needs to overhaul its need to serve the metropolitan area from the needs standpoint with highway, non-motorized corridor improvements (pedestrian scrambles, allowing state funds to be used for greenways, multiuse paths, and sidewalk improvements), & better assistance with regional mass transit development and implementation.

It's about equity versus "equality" due to the overwhelming economic strength of the Metro Charlotte area and rapidly growing needs of this region in comparative standing versus other areas that have more state support .

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That is fine if traffic is already mostly at a standstill, but if the open lane(s) can continue to serve the volume of traffic then people need to merge in a manner that lets traffic keep moving.  A lot of drivers aren't courteous enough to let others zipper merge at the end of a lane.

I am continually astounded by the number of people who drive around with their phone in hand.  Especially newer cars that have Bluetooth and navigation.  A couple days ago I passed three pretty new cars back to back to back on Graham St that were all driving below the speed limit and all piloted by people playing on their phones.  Obviously each car was an automatic which I do not think people should be allowed to drive except in the case of physical necessity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

I think I’ll comment. It makes no sense to end it on the east short of Lilesville, when it could easily connect to the new Rockingham Bypass a few miles farther east as a continuous freeway through most of Anson.

It looks like there are a pretty minimal number of driveways and intersection on US 74 between Lilesville and the Rockingham Bypass.  Seems like it would be more cost-effective to just upgrade that existing section to interstate standards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kayman said:

https://www.theassemblync.com/politics/nc-bike-lanes-sidewalks-sti-strategic-transportation-investments-law/

An article on the overt stupidity behind the STI Law and why it needs to end now. This is why you all should have all that smoke for NCDOT and the GOP-led North Carolina General Assembly on why things are so effed up with transportation planning, implementation, investment funding,  and regional allocations of improvements.

No coping out on, "what I can do about it?" You can contact and continue to contact your state legislative representation in both houses of NCGA, & if they don't respond then support their opponents this November or in November 2026.

Almost every single state-owned road should have sidewalk access, unless it is truly a rural road. These state laws blow my mind.....

• Thanks 1

I was absolutely astounded last night to see that construction on Sugar Creek Rd between N Tryon and the Blue Line seems to have wrapped up.  No construction signs, traffic cones, anything like that.  All lanes now open on Sugar Creek.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 1:32 PM, KJHburg said:

From the OHIO DOT but applies here for sure I think we can agree.

""With construction you may see lanes closed ahead. Use the zipper merge at these points to benefit all drivers. 
Zipper merges can ease congestion & shorten backups by 40%, delaying congestion by 14 minutes & cutting the line of cars by over 1/3 of a mile!
Take turns at the merge!""

440588100_812623497569904_5842331414758981974_n.jpg

The zipper merge system is a disaster. Rude drivers depend on someone letting them in and on highways, it takes semi drivers to block the left lane to stop the bottlenecks caused by the "zipper merge".  This was a recent issue on South Boulevard with lane closures. 

• 2 weeks later...

I-485 express ramps construction today.  You can see what is happening in the map in the link.  Basically there will be an on and off ramp to the 485 express lanes coming and going from the I-77 or west direction.

2019-map-4-i-485-johnston-road.pdf (ncdot.gov)

In other news up in Raleigh and Wake County the NC 540 tollway project is holding 540 Fest before the grand opening on the southern side of the 540 Beltway.  For those who like running or biking on a 6 lane expressway here is your chance and just one week after the UP downtown Raleigh walking tour so no conflict.  

540 Fest in Raleigh, NC - Details, Registration, and Results | ITS YOUR RACE

Triangle Expressway | 540 Fest run, walk planned ahead of new North Carolina highway opening for drivers - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

20240605_111607.jpg

20240605_111708.jpg

20240605_111712.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1