Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

10 hours ago, #1Son said:

Is this filing really a surprise?  WidenI-77.net, started documenting the corruption of Cintra in 2012 IIRC. Just follow the money from Spain, to Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC. Same pattern create a shell company, take out hundreds of millions in government backed loans. Partially construct the designed highway, file for bankruptcy. Rinse, wash repeat. This should have been canceled in 2012 but it wasn't and now we have a beautiful highway that benefits 5 to 10% of the people who use the highway at most. Yea NCDOT!!!

Wait so, is it even finished yet? Isn't there still unfinished work and uneven pavement?  

Just drove back from HHI up I-95, 26 to 77 into Charlotte.   I-95 traffic was much less basically very few private vehicles just trucks.  I-26 going westbound seem busier but I-77 north again seem much less busier until of course I got to Charlotte.  However driving through the city was easy no slowdowns which can happen around lunchtime on 77 both north or southbound.  Gas prices have inverted it is cheaper in NC in the Charlotte area than SC and cheaper in Georgia than SC.  Gas tax in SC is both lower than NC and GA.    I check GasBuddy.com a lot and the OKC metro has gas at .99 cent a gallon at multiple places.  

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, Third Strike said:

The state is seeking a grant for US 74 between Asheville, Charlotte, and Wilmington:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/INFRA2020-US74/Documents/Narrative US 74 NCDOT.pdf

The grant doesn't cover too much, mainly fiber optic installation along the corridor. It does add the final grade separation project in Mooresboro west of Shelby for a complete Charlotte-Asheville freeway. All the other highway projects were already scheduled for construction from state funding, but there will likely be major delays coming soon for all projects.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, Third Strike said:

The state is seeking a grant for US 74 between Asheville, Charlotte, and Wilmington:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/INFRA2020-US74/Documents/Narrative US 74 NCDOT.pdf

Connected and Autonomous Vehicles

The installation of fiber optic cable along the corridors would provide the groundwork for the future of autonomous vehicles. Fiber optic cable would be constructed by 2026 along the US 74 corridor. As smart vehicles are becoming more affordable, drivers will increasingly be driving autonomous vehicles. Preparing the transportation infrastructure for these new vehicle capabilities allows for the continued safe and efficient movement of goods and people along corridors. The eventual utilization of the connected and autonomous vehicles will further improve safety. The delivery of the CORESI project will deliver an estimated $133M in benefits over the assessment period.

They're being pretty forward thinking for the NCDOT...haha

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 3/11/2020 at 3:19 AM, JorgiPorgi said:

Bahaha, your posts are comical. Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the US, and has had rather smart growth in it's urban center-much more than comparable cities of the same size, and you are begging for Atlanta/Houston-esque interstate/sprawl development? Nah, you can keep that. It's not smart, it's not "urban". It doesn't help with the aesthetics of the city. Charlotte is doing great with it's inner core, and hopefully it doesn't become your idea of what a big city 'should' be. You're in the minority there, and I can guarantee you that most of the members of this website have been to many Large cities around the globe. 

I think you are comical.  Who said anything about suburban sprawl? The last I checked 77 and 85 run through Charlotte proper correct. Driving 85 and 77 both look like cow towns nothing but trees, boring. You guys have never been outside of Charlotte. Every major city has class A office space, hotels, and condos. along side their major corridors.  As a matter of fact the only major city that does not that I can think of is Charlotte and maybe Nashville. D.C, Montreal, Toronto, (real cities not Atlanta) San Francisco, San Diego, Philly, Boston. Charlotte has a beautiful uptown.  Outside of this its cow town and its a  little embarrassing.  At least one person understood. Yes, it is exciting entering into a major city looking at the buildings because it shows that it is prospering. I can't even believe I am defending this complaint about Charlotte. I am convinced now the ones who gave me pushback obviously have not been outside of Charlotte:) . Its so obvious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bahaha, your posts are comical. Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the US, and has had rather smart growth in it's urban center-much more than comparable cities of the same size, and you are begging for Atlanta/Houston-esque interstate/sprawl development? Nah, you can keep that. It's not smart, it's not "urban". It doesn't help with the aesthetics of the city. Charlotte is doing great with it's inner core, and hopefully it doesn't become your idea of what a big city 'should' be. You're in the minority there, and I can guarantee you that most of the members of this website have been to many Large cities around the globe. 

Okay, I have been up here in Canada for the last 10 years. Canada is more European. I live in Toronto but here is a video of Montreal an excellent representation of what I am talking about. Charlotte aspirations!!!! I am originally from Charlotte so this is why I have taken an interest in the "Queen City" enjoy:)

• Like 1

T.O. Baby!!!! Charlotte aspirations.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Wow.  Quarantining has really hit this one hard hasn’t it? As we say here in the farmland - “bless your heart”. 

You should go to the Nashville thread and start an argument about which one is more Urban: Nashville or Shanghai. 

Nah, why don't you start talking about something you know about, yea!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Oh wow I did not know the definition of a  great city is how many tall  buildings they have lined up on freeways.   and what do you call driving down I-77 passing uptown Charlotte?  Even though I was born and live here in this "cowtown" I have been to Toronto (and it was nice like a Chicago)  and every major US city , all 50 states, 19 foreign countries,  and Toronto looks like a "cowtown"  compared to Hong Kong. 

This is one of the craziest discussions I have seen on UP. I understand the first poster comments about this but all this is just crazy.  Must be a side effect of the virus.  

1.2. Hong Kong makes NYC and Toronto look like a cowtown. (this is an eastern  suburban area not the famed Central CBD office district area) 

3.  Driving in north Dallas along N Central Freeway (not a cowtown?)    4. 5.  true Cowtown and they would wear it with pride in Fort Worth

6.  LA a cowtown too? this is there biggest clump of skyscrapers in the southland. 

7. but this is a cowtown, the Queen City?   well I guess we are getting a Tecovas boot store  so call us  a cowtown as long as we can call Toronto, Dallas, LA cowtowns too as they don't compared to major Asian cities in number of high rises and density.  

getting back to highways and construction here in Charlotte I did notice a lot of workers on 77 between Brookshire and 85 the other day.  I sure wish NC DOT will allow some daytime closures on this interstate during this month to get it repaved and completely finished.  This is the perfect time with every weekday like a Sunday traffic count or even less.  Florida seems to be accelerating some projects there during this time.  

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

LAX110.jpg

IMG_6121.JPG

Hey sweetheart I never said anything about a number. I made a point but it went over your head. I guess you a statistics man. My gripe is not Charlotte its the backwards people, some not all but its obvious who I am speaking of. With all do respect. Hopefully with the influx of Northerners they can show people like you the way. But, you have to listen first. Zip your lips and listen to them.  Only they can show you the way.  You are new to this. Good luck.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Legendoflink said:

Hey sweetheart I never said anything about a number. I made a point but it went over your head. I guess you a statistics man. My gripe is not Charlotte its the backwards people, some not all but its obvious who I am speaking of. With all do respect. Hopefully with the influx of Northerners they can show people like you the way. But, you have to listen first. Zip your lips and listen to them.  Only they can show you the way.  You are new to this. Good luck.

Imagine  being so mad about Charlotte. Why are you so mad man? Why has Charlotte got you so rattled?  

We love our city. We love how it’s one of the fastest growing cities in the country. We appreciate it’s “can do” attitude. This city always punches above it’s weight and one day it will be one of the world class cities. Meanwhile we are perfectly happy with it being a fast moving middle tier city on the rise. If you want to appreciate, feel free- if you want to be hater- why waste your time. We aren’t gonna hate our city, no matter how hard you try.  If giant world class cities are your thing, and you hate smaller fast growing cities- why don’t you go to a NYC, London, or Hong Kong thread?

Edited by JorgiPorgi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey I just successfully blocked someone on UrbanPlanet.   Never did that or had to do that  before.  Now I don't see their posts.  Back to a movie. 

your Local yokel and hayseed hick

KJ

PS Let me know when the discussion gets back to Charlotte highways and transportation improvements.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Imagine  being so mad about Charlotte. Why are you so mad man? Why has Charlotte got you so rattled?  

We love our city. We love how it’s one of the fastest growing cities in the country. We appreciate it’s “can do” attitude. This city always punches above it’s weight and one day it will be one of the world class cities. Meanwhile we are perfectly happy with it being a fast moving middle tier city on the rise. If you want to appreciate, feel free- if you want to be hater- why waste your time. We aren’t gonna hate our city, no matter how hard you try.  If giant world class cities are your thing, and you hate smaller fast growing cities- why don’t you go to a NYC, London, or Hong Kong thread?

Why, because I have invested a lot of time in Charlotte starting back in 1995. I have seen Charlotte grow leaps and bounds. Hey, I am a very civil man. I felt attacked over a simple comment which was my opinion and it was a very reasonable comment that got blown out of proportion.  You have to ask yourself how my comment ruffled so many feathers. I will close the thread with this. Like I have said before. It would be nice if Charlotte developed more along the corridors of I77 and I85. To me driving in the city would be more aesthetically appealing and this is my opinion. Charlotte is a great city and I have seen it grow and kept up with development since 1995. I use to work for First Union. Then Wachovia. Then I moved to Atlanta with my wife. Then we moved to Toronto. And I have always kept up with what's going on. So with that I bid you adieu and cheers!

• Like 1

Sooo, I live in the Harrisburg/UCity part of Charlotte. 

Whats happening with the south portion of 485 from say Lawyers rd all the way to 85 at CLT. 

I honestly never go to that part of town. 

I have friends in Commonwealth and lived in NoDa years back. 485 and 85 are in great shape so far as amount of lanes, interchanges etc. 

Will S.Charlotte EVER catch up?