Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

First Market Bank and Union Bankshares to merge:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-085005/244173/

First Market Bank will merge into Union Bankshares Corp. in a $105 million deal, the two banks announced this morning.

Richmond-based First Market, a privately held banking company with more than $1.3 billion in assets, operates 39 branches in the Richmond area -- most inside Ukrop's stores. The bank is owned by Ukrop's Super Markets Inc., members of the Ukrop family and specialty insurer Markel Corp.

Union, currently based in Bowling Green, will become the largest Virginia based community banking organization with a combined 97 branch locations and assets of more than $3.9 billion. Renamed Union First Market Bankshares Corp., it will move its headquarters to Richmond.

Did anyone from here go on that loft tour a few Saturdays ago? If so a brief summary and overview and any info obtained would be much appreciated. Thx

Majors, I know a lady who opened her Rocketts Landing apartment and she had over 600 people streaming thru her unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, Richmond is still credited with seven (7) Fortune 500 companies -- or was in 2008.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-222119/261054/

I read the article plus the list of the Fortune 1000 companies based in Richmond. I thought LandAmerica was bought by Fidelity?

Philip Morris to consolidate all its cigarette making in Richmond, but it doesn't appear as many jobs will be created or filled by transferees from Carolina as originally thought. I find this story somewhat confusing.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-073606/262263/

The local media down in NC reporting that about 530 have taken or will take transfers. They are actually laying off 1,100 people in July at the plant.

The local media down in NC reporting that about 530 have taken or will take transfers. They are actually laying off 1,100 people in July at the plant.

Remember when PM said 2,000 workers would transfer to Richmond? I do. I guess the company decided to eliminate a large number of those 2,000 workers. I guess we should be grateful for 530.

Remember when PM said 2,000 workers would transfer to Richmond? I do. I guess the company decided to eliminate a large number of those 2,000 workers. I guess we should be grateful for 530.

I don't remember the exact number, but I would've been shocked if all the employees would/could transfer. PM has been shedding jobs quietly the last several months in Cabarrus county. I think the decline in sales and the new federal excise tax impact were the reasoning for bumping up the plant closure and layoffs.

• 4 weeks later...

Statewide, the recession is worst in Richmond according to RTD writer Christine Chmura.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-224634/268120/

Well look who is the largest employer in NOVA and the Hamptons... ...the Federal Government and their related contractors. The Feds are doing a lot of hiring since the babyboomers are starting to retire in large numbers.

Well look who is the largest employer in NOVA and the Hamptons... ...the Federal Government and their related contractors. The Feds are doing a lot of hiring since the babyboomers are starting to retire in large numbers.

For one we are called Hampton Roads not the Hamptons, and for two stop complaining about us being saved by the government and military being our number one employer. Richmond does every single thing it can to supress HR. You guys get more incentives for company relocations, more transportation dollars, and have all of the state government jobs.. How about just saying our economy is more stable than Richmond and leaving it at that.

Sorry Richmonders I love yall I'm just in a pissy mood.

Wow, your reaction sounds like someone just talked trash about your mom. There's nothing insulting about saying that Hampton Roads has a large segment of federal government related jobs. Relative to a market like Richmond, it does have a much larger proportion of these jobs.

The city of Richmond and its suburban counterparts don't do anything to rain on Hampton Road's parade. It sounds like your angst should be directed towards the state government, and not your friends to the west. Regarding state jobs, I'm sure you're aware that Richmond is the state capital, so it makes sense that there is a large state government presence.

Lol, sorry guys I'm just really irritated right now. Disregard my statement. I am kind of annoyed how Richmond gets everything from the state government. I love the City of Richmond. Can't say the same for the government. They treat Hampton Roads like the unwanted stepchild and i believe we deserve much more than we get. I'm really defensive about my hometown, that's all. :stop:

Exactly. We produce all that revenue from the port and it goes directly to the state. We barely see any of it.

I would rescind what you said and go do your homework. Your statement "We barely see any of it." is far from the truth.