Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

46 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Also, what do they mean by "Unfavorable demographics"? I'm guessing how the renter cohort is decreasing, or how we could be attracting more older people. 

Not sure.

One interesting fact, though, (and I really like hearing this) is that RVA's population will continue "faster-than-average" growth. Not sure what "average" is - but "faster-than" certainly is music to my ears.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I will say cost of living sucks bad in va. The income to cost of living in this state is so screwed up. Even a state that pays less but the cost of living ratio matches up better shows a better cost of living and better quality of life. I get life is not all about money if your really happy and love what you do but the cost of living is the  worst in va. We have to get that ratio back on track income vs cost of living. It’s just not working out causing people to flee also transportation needs to be taken care of fast. 81 in the northern Shenandoah where I live should have been expanded 25 years ago. It’s so dangerous all the truck traffic and even just people in general.. I’m happy to see rva finally make 64 three lanes from rva to Williamsburg and then the hrbt expansion in Hampton roads help out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Richmond and San Jose expected to have rent growths of about 4.0% into 2024, thus leading the pack. 

Forecasting 2024’s Top Apartment Markets | RealPage Analytics

For projected rent growth, two markets tied for the top spot. The tech hub of San Jose and Virginia capital of Richmond are both forecasted to grow rents 4.0% in 2024 – the highest rate among the nation’s 50 largest apartment markets. Next comes West Palm Beach with forecasted rent growth of 3.9%. Other top markets include Anaheim, Pittsburgh and San Francisco above 3.4%, along with Columbus, Riverside, Baltimore and Philadelphia above 3.2%. In general, robust local income growth often drives the steeper rental price increases.

top-10-major-markets-120123-1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Love the forward momentum, hate that I won’t be able to live here soon. 

What?!  Where are you going and why!? Or are you saying you’re going to get priced out?

Yeah, we are on top for rent growth, but I would have thought we’d be one one of the other charts too.  I guess it’s 4.0% based on the current size of the market?  Still, that’s good - just not the demand the big cities on the other charts are seeing, just due to shear volume. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

Maybe this will make more developments "pencil" and we'll start seeing some bigger projects coming down the turnpike.

All of that said, we HAVE to land some "big fish" to pull jobs into the market in the tens of thousands. Otherwise, we're going to keep spinning our wheels and ultimately - yes - lose our cost vs other metros advantage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Love the forward momentum, hate that I won’t be able to live here soon. 

Come check out Highland Park and Chestnut Hill. There are still some affordable houses to be found.

While there are some going for $500k+, there are still a lot of great finds. Take a look at this one that sold for only $325k and has a third floor terrace.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

Come check out Highland Park and Chestnut Hill. There are still some affordable houses to be found.

While there are some going for $500k+, there are still a lot of great finds. Take a look at this one that sold for only $325k and has a third floor terrace.

Been saying for ~5 years Highland Park is the new frontier. Nice area with affordable homes.

4 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Been saying for ~5 years Highland Park is the new frontier. Nice area with affordable homes.

I moved here back in 2017 ... boy was it different then.

I think Northside is going to drastically change in the next decade though. After the 2020 rezoning it's the only area in the city that has a decent shot of having a quality k-12 pipeline. 

It went from having 3 elementary schools that were below division & state average and one that was just below state average to 3 elementary schools above the division average and 1 above the state average.

It went from the middle and high school being fed by one of the worst elementary schools in the city to only being fed by the 4 in Northside that are doing so well. This will make the jump from elementary -> middle -> high school much easier to do for parents since they don't have to worry how things are going to change with a completely different set of students. 

Once Northside gets seen as a good school district, it will be a self-fulfilling cycle. Just like Linwood Holton has done for Bellevue area. Except parents won't feel forced to sell before 6th grade.

I'm excited to see the results from the 2023-2024 school year to see how much things have changed in just 3 years!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night and was pleasantly surprised!  Such good news for a Richmond company…that moved here from California!  Hope this is just the very beginning for them. They are already HQ’d downtown, just north of the Coliseum.  Maybe they’ll have desires and need for expansion sometime soon…downtown! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wow!!! Glad the GRP is all over this (and you'd expect them to be). 

Once again - bringing more attention and more name recognition to Richmond. This is wonderful to see!

And what makes it even more impressive: We're the only city in the Top 10 without a true, legitimate "major" airport. (And yes, yes, yes -- I know - D.C. isn't that far away, blah, blah, blah. Who cares?  I'm talking about having a "major" airport DIRECTLY dedicated to the specific market). We're still maybe 200K passengers shy of getting out of the basement and moving up into the "mid-sized" airport conversation (on the low end of it - but at least it would be a category upgrade).

Also - we're the only city in the Top 10 without at least ONE major-league level sports franchise. (Austin has an MLS team, in case anyone is wondering.)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2