Construction Thread-Orlando-Paramount

Aga11940

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walked by tonight and it looks like many of the shelves were stocked with merchandise, the registers were unwrapped, and some employees looked like they were getting some sort of training. Only 1 more week and then us downtown residents will have a grocery store within a few blocks walking distance. I will support this store with my money for sure. There are not many major metropolitan areas with a grocery store of this caliber in the core of their downtown.

Are they going to have a guard that stop homeless going in? or stop them from taking the shopping cart?

I'd imagine so. The Paramount also has its own security as well. (...and I can't wait to hear the homeless hippie advocates complain about it too). -- at least they can't use the this is a public library or public park argument.

yeh..that's right, say i'm a jerk, but i am so sick and tired of being stopped by homeless with super lame a$$ stories too.. the latest going around goes something like this..."I'm not homeless or anything, i just got into town and lost my id and cant get into the shelter without one, and need money to get a new id". nevermind the fact that apparenty they "just got into town" must mean at least 3 months ago when i first saw them and heard the same story.. i think i'll just give them a franklin planner instead of money so they can at least keep track of who they are telling their fake story too. :o

^^

I say shoot all panhandlers first, ask questions later.

^^

Paramount: did a driveby at night. Publix' shelves are stocked; looks real close to opening. the Paramount as a whole is such a nice bldg. every side is completely done up right. right down to the window treatments on the parking deck. Solaire (above the precast) and 55W (above the brick) screwed the pooch on this.

that stretch of Central is alive. imagine when Publix actually opens. wow.

went by today...place looks gorgeous...publix is set to open sept 6th (peeked thru the cheesecloth and saw the opening soon sign), sales office lady said they are going to have public underground parking in the garage(i wonder how that will work out with parking there to go other places other than publix)

went into the sales office and they said they had 5 units left! can't wait till everyone moves in!

I'd imagine so. The Paramount also has its own security as well. (...and I can't wait to hear the homeless hippie advocates complain about it too). -- at least they can't use the this is a public library or public park argument.

yeh..that's right, say i'm a jerk, but i am so sick and tired of being stopped by homeless with super lame a$$ stories too.. the latest going around goes something like this..."I'm not homeless or anything, i just got into town and lost my id and cant get into the shelter without one, and need money to get a new id". nevermind the fact that apparenty they "just got into town" must mean at least 3 months ago when i first saw them and heard the same story.. i think i'll just give them a franklin planner instead of money so they can at least keep track of who they are telling their fake story too. :o

LMAO. Hot. I like the planner idea... There's a guy who frequents the 7-11 on Conroy and Vineland/ Holy Land area with an empty gas tank who needs money... same story every time. Came up to me the other day while stopped at the light and he started speaking, I interrupted him and finished his story for him. He wasn't too happy. The light turned green.

Do we need a "Homeless' Scam Stories of Orlando" topic? We can take pictures of them with our camera phones and post their stories as well as where to find them.

LMAO. Hot. I like the planenr idea... There's a guy who frequents the 7-11 on Conroy and Vineland/ Holy Land area with an empty gas tank who needs money... same story every time. Came up to me the other day while stopped at the light and he started speaking, I interrupted him and finished his story for him. He wasn't too happy. The light turned green.

Do we need a "Homeless' Scam Stories of Orlando" topic? We can take pictures of them with our camera phones and post their stories as well as where to find them.

i'll drink to that.

:alc:

went by today...place looks gorgeous...publix is set to open sept 6th (peeked thru the cheesecloth and saw the opening soon sign), sales office lady said they are going to have public underground parking in the garage(i wonder how that will work out with parking there to go other places other than publix)

went into the sales office and they said they had 5 units left! can't wait till everyone moves in!

well thats been pretty much the available inventory count for that past year.. the verdict is still out on how many go to closing..there are still people trying to weasle out of their contracts with this whole construction re-inforcement issue which is a bunch of BS. Anyway, they required a pretty big deposit, not the usual $500 to $5000 bucks, so its going to be a lot harder to walk away from. hopefully the closings go smoothly. The only thing that concerned me is that the sales center sign is pretty elaborate if you notice, for only having to sell 5 units. :dontknow:

anyway, about the publix parking, i have the same question. my thoughts... I know there are 2 two-landing elevators running from the underground garage to the publix lobby area. assuming the publix will have standard hours and be closing at 10pm (hoping it stays open later though), if they lock the garage shortly after closing (when the store empties of customers), i'd think that would pose a problem to people parking there for going out downtown parking usage. And perhaps during peak hours having a greeter in the lobby (dont they usually have that anyway), seeing any obvious elevator-thru lobby-to street exit violators. (of course one can just run in and buy a pack of gum, but then again that's obvious too). Also during peak hours they could have someone checking receipts (since they have a timestamp) at the garage exit.

not sure how strict it will be or how much thinking has been done about it. My guess is that it will probably depend on the amount of abuse and if it starts impacting legitate customer parking.

I got my Grand Opening brochure in the mail today from Publix (including the famous $3 coupon - weren't they $5 at one point?). Anyway, many similarities to the "gay" Publix (so dubbed ages ago by the Weekly) on Shine: store hours 7am-10pm (except opens at 8am on Sep 6); Paul Bracker is apparently coming over as the Store Manager from Shine and of course Rob from over there is the Pharmacist. Stay tuned!

LMAO. Hot. I like the planenr idea... There's a guy who frequents the 7-11 on Conroy and Vineland/ Holy Land area with an empty gas tank who needs money... same story every time. Came up to me the other day while stopped at the light and he started speaking, I interrupted him and finished his story for him. He wasn't too happy. The light turned green.

Lol!

you finished his story for him. that was priceless.

how many days now?

what is his story? I want to finish it for him next time. I have had a dude come and ask me for gas at the gas station to go back to clermont. He said he runs out of cash and want me address so he can give the money back to me. Then there is a girl using the same story and aske me for gas. Both times, I give them gasoline.

^^

I would never give money to a panhandler or gas to some gas station scam artist. FYI, 7-11 at Conroy & that cross street where Bible Land is (Vineland?) has a guy who stands on the sidewalk in front always waiting to approach at the most apportune times to panhandle. if you give him a dirty look ahead of time, he won't approach you. if you park in front to go in, he will.

I walked by tonight and the external signs are now lit - they seem larger when lit up, not bad at night at all. Also, the double-door entry leads into a lobby area you wouldn't normally have. It leads to the elevators that go down to the parking garage in the basement (or so I'm told). The cool thing about it is that as you wind around back toward the elevators, the walls are covered with pics of older Publix stores, trucks and ads. Awesome!

Wow! Great turnout for the Grand Opening this morning - there were probably about 100 people lined up by the time Paul Bracker gave the signal at 7:55am to let everyone in. Lots of freebies - I got a free First Aid Kit from Rob, the pharmacist and a cool little reusable Publix shopping bag that folds up into a zipper pouch from Nathan, one of the new assistant managers.

A good bit more of the upscale stuff than the Shine Publix - I'm going back with a group later for lunch and will investigate more thoroughly- it was a bit of a madhouse by the time I left. The store looks great and they have upgraded the card scanners again - if you pay by credit card, you now sign virtually instead of waiting for a piece of paper.

Everyone was tripping over themselves to be helpful - I know it's going to be an awesome addition to downtown and almost worth the 30-year wait :thumbsup:

I was there this morning and it was crowded. But I thought it was odd that the garage was empty.

I went shopping with my little cart, it worked out perfect. I saw a lot of people I knew but I was amazed at the number of old people at the store--many of them in motorized strollers. I thought it was great these people are able to get out and about. I don't think many of them have had such an easy time to shop in years. They were well (over) staffed, but all were very friendly and helpful.

Archived