Construction Thread-Orlando-Paramount

Aga11940

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like the idea of the tall lettered PUBLIX, but it would look really cool with a big ch(brea)ested mermaid looking statue like on the front of a large sailing vessel.

LOL

I've just been guessing up to this point, so do we know if the Publix sign is going to be attached to the vertical pole out front? a single sign or individual letters would be cool too. anyone know the details?

• 2 weeks later...

I know that there are alot of people that are saying they are not going to close because they cannot get financing. The units are not appraising at what they were sold.

I also heard that that attorney has about 25 people togeather now taking the paramount to court.

I also heard that there are about another 5 attorneys with clients taking them to court.

I know that there are alot of people that are saying they are not going to close because they cannot get financing. The units are not appraising at what they were sold.

I also heard that that attorney has about 25 people togeather now taking the paramount to court.

I also heard that there are about another 5 attorneys with clients taking them to court.

What's the basis of their suit? If it's about not being able to obtain financing, unless there's a contingency clause in their contracts they may well be on the hook anyway.

What's the basis of their suit? If it's about not being able to obtain financing, unless there's a contingency clause in their contracts they may well be on the hook anyway.

They claim that the structure of the building is not safe. There was a problem and construction had stopped but ZOM spent $20 mil to fix the problem. They claim it is not safe and with such a big change they should get their deposit back.

I dont know if this is BS or the truth.

But I wonder what happens to the people who cannot get financing. Does the developer go after them or do they just loose the deposit?

They claim that the structure of the building is not safe. There was a problem and construction had stopped but ZOM spent $20 mil to fix the problem. They claim it is not safe and with such a big change they should get their deposit back.

I dont know if this is BS or the truth.

But I wonder what happens to the people who cannot get financing. Does the developer go after them or do they just loose the deposit?

Yes, the developer spent $20 million to fix the problem and I'm sure the building is now structurally safe. The problem is the perception of potential buyers regarding the structural integrity of the building and, hence, how this perception affects the prices of the units. If the attorney can prove that this issue negatively affected the value of the units, wether it was fixed or not, and, that due to this issue the buyer cannot get financing due to the reduced value, the judge may agree that this materially affected the project and entitles the buyers to receive their deposit back.

Publix is scheduled to open two weeks before Labor Day. I believe they will begin stocking the shelves next week. Look inside, the doors are usually unlocked during the day.

The court case should be moving forward or thrown out sometime today (Thursday 8/7).

I checked out the Paramount today with some friends who were interested. It really is a nice building. The pool deck and lobby are beautiful. I was shown several of the units and overall they have nice layouts but the bedrooms seem small. I was shocked to see the sales team are really not selling the 5 remaining "unsold" developer units (at inflated prices) but rather are selling units that are under contract and the buyer's wish to back out. What is even more surprising is they are assigning them at the price the buyer originally paid (some over 3 years ago). Those units are available at very good prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the class-action suit:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/n...0,2926563.story

The Publix sign is going up today. I will try to take some pictures later.

Just saw the sign (sorry not camera -- and its raining!).

Just 2 small Publix signs above the entrance (one facing Central the only Lake Ave.). I had though the tall vertical pole on the corner of the building would hold a much larger vertical type sign? Am I wrong or is it just not up yet?

Some guy out front told me Publix is opening September 6.

Confirmed. Sign out front today says Opening Saturday Sept 6th 8:00am. So it didn't quite make Labor Day Weekend, but amazingly when the developers came to The Waverly to talk about the project before the foundation pour, they predicted Sept 2008 for the Publix opening, so i'm quite shocked something is actually on schedule (plus something that had structural re-inforcement delays!). :shok:

I think the Publix signs are too small and I don't like the font.

That being said, the font is their logo. I think it would have been better if the Publix sign used a taller, less rounded font. Something at least twice the size and going around the corner instead of two signs facing each street. Keep with the theme of Art Deco to match the building rather than Publix's brand message. I'm sure Paramount had strict guidelines as to the size of any signage and Publix probably wanted to keep their logo branded.

I wonder how it will be lit at night. From the front, backlit, glowing? I think backlit will look best with what they're using. We shall see.

I can't wait to see what they've got in there. I'm going the first day for sure. Not at 8am though. :)

I think the Publix signs are too small and I don't like the font.

That being said, the font is their logo. I think it would have been better if the Publix sign used a taller, less rounded font. Something at least twice the size and going around the corner instead of two signs facing each street. Keep with the theme of Art Deco to match the building rather than Publix's brand message. I'm sure Paramount had strict guidelines as to the size of any signage and Publix probably wanted to keep their logo branded.

I wonder how it will be lit at night. From the front, backlit, glowing? I think backlit will look best with what they're using. We shall see.

I can't wait to see what they've got in there. I'm going the first day for sure. Not at 8am though. :)

If only you knew what a war has been fought over that font. It SCREAMS the worst of the '70's, but it was selected by a committee and, to Publix' credit, they are loyal to such employee-generated contributions. During the most recent redesign of the product labels, great effort went into figuring out a way to minimize the font - you'll note btw that it has disappeared from the Publix "Premium" products.

At least Publix is not alone. If you look at the various supermarkets around the country, there are some truly unflattering logos; Wegman's, for example, arguably one of the highest quality supermarket chains in the country, has a logo not terribly different from Publix'.

I, too, was nonplussed by the signage they chose for the new store. But, after 33 years without a grocery store downtown, I'll get over it quickly!

Archived