CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone happen to catch in the back of the lot by SunTrust and right behind the old Kimbrells building the bottom piece of the tower crane? Its just one section easy to miss if you're not looking for it. It's in the hole. Sorry I might be late on this but I've been in North Myrtle Beach for the last week. If anyone has caught it before I mentioned it, how long has it been out there?

Update on Construction: The pilings have been driven; the footer frames (if that's the right description) have (for the most part) been constructed with much of the rebar installed and many of the footers poured. As they are completing the pouring and de-framing of the footers they are bringing in gravel (by the truckload) and filling up the foundation hole with gravel to the top level of the footers. Other than the base, no further work has been done on constructing the crane.

Update on Construction: The pilings have been driven; the footer frames (if that's the right description) have (for the most part) been constructed with much of the rebar installed and many of the footers poured. As they are completing the pouring and de-framing of the footers they are bringing in gravel (by the truckload) and filling up the foundation hole with gravel to the top level of the footers. Other than the base, no further work has been done on constructing the crane.

I'd actually heard that the crane wouldn't start to go up until mid-November -- other than the short structure that's already there. They just wouldn't need it until then.

The crane is up and is looking good. The landscape and view makes it look taller than I thought it would.

The crane is indeed taller than I expected. When I got to thinking about it, the top two floors of condos will both be double floor height each, and the lobby level will be much taller than a normal floor. I think we are in for a pleasant surprise.

:good: The crane from this evening:

DSC03395.jpg

I agree, gsupstate. I am slowly warming up to the idea that this building will look better than we originally thought (after all, it can't be as ugly as the rendering, right?).

Thanks for providing the picture. :)

I think the impact on the skyline will be better than we expect. Our bud g-man searched out some numbers on the net. The Bookends are 105' high. The Peacock will be 150' high, so it will stand well above The Bookends and any other building immediately around it.

In addition, the street level density that will be added on McBee is very exciting. :thumbsup:

I think the impact on the skyline will be better than we expect. Our bud g-man searched out some numbers on the net. The Bookends are 105' high. The Peacock will be 150' high, so it will stand well above The Bookends and any other building immediately around it.

In addition, the street level density that will be added on McBee is very exciting. :thumbsup:

I found some additional info to give us more of a comparison. The Landmark Building is 305 feet, so the Peacock will be about half as tall as our current tallest building. It will be a little taller than the nearby Liberty Building, which is 10 stories and 132 feet. It will be shorter than the Carolina First Building, which is 13 stories and has heights of 230 feet (spire) and 190 feet (roof). I could not find out how tall City Hall and the Westin are, but I assume this building will be about as tall if not slightly taller.

Archived